Hamstrings and calves as tight as a bow string !

doctr-dan

Likes Bikes
Hi guys just wondering if anyone else has or had hamstrings and calves so tight they could be used to shoot a arrow?
Well thats me Ive never been able to lean forward past my knees.
This gives me all sorts of grief in my lower back as well.

Ive been given many types of stretches etc to do over the years by physio's and chiro's but Ive never stuck with it long enough to see any result.

For example laying flat on the floor I cant raise my leg past about 25 - 30 degrees, and even to get to there my calf muscle is burning like hairy banshee on fire.

What stretches have given you the best and quickest results?

driftking

Wheel size expert
Wow past the knees!

With flexibility it's not about getting quick results you need to be consistant.
If you still have the physio's reccomendations stick to them.

I'm expecting there are hip flexor/hams/glutes/calves and back stretches involved as they may all play a role. But truely flexibilty comes down to consistency.

You do notice results even after a week or two albeit small if you continue it gets better.
Siting down with one leg out and stretching to my toes I couldn't touch them, now I can get my full hand past my foot and pretty much grab my heel over my toes.

Consistency is key just keep at it.

Last edited:

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I suffer from tight hammies, calves, glutes and back as well. Some things really set it off like being ill and also giving up caffeine for some reason.
But as others have said there is no quick fix. Just do a little bit every day and mm by mm you will improve. I like to do stretches in the shower as I think the warm water helps but that's probably just in my head.
I also find I'm more flexible after a good long ride too. But this doesn't last unless I keep up the stretching. Even then I struggle to touch my toes. At my worst I would struggle to reach my knees.

driftking

Wheel size expert
I suffer from tight hammies, calves, glutes and back as well. Some things really set it off like being ill and also giving up caffeine for some reason.
But as others have said there is no quick fix. Just do a little bit every day and mm by mm you will improve. I like to do stretches in the shower as I think the warm water helps but that's probably just in my head.
I also find I'm more flexible after a good long ride too. But this doesn't last unless I keep up the stretching. Even then I struggle to touch my toes. At my worst I would struggle to reach my knees.
The shower thing will work as will doing it straight after the shower.
It's not reccomended to stretch a cold muscle at least it's not ideal. You ussually do a quick warm up then stretch before your workout/game/race.
It's like freezing an elastic band and then stretching it slowly, it will slowly warm up and move further but it's more likely to be damaged and it takes longer to reach maximal stretch, if you heat the band it will stretch with less chance of Injury and further.
(Yes that's a grossly simple example but you get the idea)

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As others have said, stretch, stretch, stretch... Follow any recommendations by the physio.
I'd be looking to do small amounts a few times a day after a good warm up.

doctr-dan

Likes Bikes
Well I was hoping for a miracle cure. If only they could just cut them and add a little section in that would be ace.

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
+1 for warm muscles, I can stretch further and easier after even 10 mins on the trainer.

I had poor flexibility from lower back issues (or vice versa) and have done stretches over a long period to help with it. some days I can stretch more, some less but after the initial quick improvements in stretchiness, it is a slow but ultimately worthwhile process.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Part of the problem is cycling doesn't use a full range of motion so it never stretches gastroc or soleus out - so if you already naturally inflexible, cycling will maximise this.

You could also use a slant box, basically just a box (obviously) with the top being angled - how much depends on how inflexible you start at. I use one at the sink so if I spend ten minutes there the calfs get a solid stretch - as I have gotten a bit more flexible I have increased the angle. It's a common old school thing roadies used to do a lot.

Another approach that is worth an attempt if stretching does not yield results or you struggle to stick with it, if you have gym membership - strait leg dead lifts and bent over rows do wonders for posterior leg flexibility - eccentric loading is very good at lengthening muscles - BUT you must ensure technique is perfect for back safety/health. Also standing calf raises where you use absolute maximum range is beneficial (keep load lighter is need be).

Cypher

Likes Dirt
@Mywifesirrational perhaps you can answer this?

At what point can you say you are flexible enough? I'll agree that daily (or 2-3 weekly) stretching is a fine thing and makes you feel lovely. But I am not one of those rubber women and have never been able to do the splits or get my hands much past my feet regardless of how often I stretch.

At what point are you functionally flexible? What should we be aiming for? A lack of injury? A lack of stiffness and/or pain?. I'm not 'double jointed' so I don't have absolutely full range of motion, but I think I have reasonably good range of motion. My limbs and joints move smoothly. A good side benefit is that I have very rarely 'sprained' any joint (I think I sprained my ankle once, but it was so long ago I can no longer be sure)

While it would be academically great to do level 2 or 3 yoga positions, I don't have the time (I would need to spend hours each day to get that flexible if it is possible at all). Also I realise that maintaining flexibilty is something to work on for old age. What are the recommendations beyond "just stretch"?

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
At what point can you say you are flexible enough? I'll agree that daily (or 2-3 weekly) stretching is a fine thing and makes you feel lovely. But I am not one of those rubber women and have never been able to do the splits or get my hands much past my feet regardless of how often I stretch.
These are interesting questions, but not easy ones to answer.

Flexibility requirements are generally task specific – think yoga or gymnastics vs office worker, so it is not easy to say to someone you’re not flexible enough if it is not in context – but someone who is not flexible will not be able to engage in those activities to a high level, without significant risk of soft tissue injury. Outside of a given activity does someone need to be able to touch their toes? Probably not, does this lead to increased injury risk? Probably not, should they attempt to improve flexibility if it is below normal acceptable levels? Probably – if anything it will not do them any harm.

Also worth noting that some people are simply non responders to flexibility training, which you sounds like you might be, no matter how much that train and stretch they don't improve, or they reach a plateau and never move past this point. It's not uncommon and I am not sure anything can be done about this other than trying alternative methods of stretching - particularly heavy load eccentric training as it is proposed to add sarcomeres in series (lengthen muscles).

there is a bit of discussion in this thread from memory http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?238567-when-is-the-best-time-to-stretch-after-a-ride&highlight=stretching%2C+flexibility

At what point are you functionally flexible? What should we be aiming for? A lack of injury? A lack of stiffness and/or pain?. I'm not 'double jointed' so I don't have absolutely full range of motion, but I think I have reasonably good range of motion. My limbs and joints move smoothly. A good side benefit is that I have very rarely 'sprained' any joint (I think I sprained my ankle once, but it was so long ago I can no longer be sure)
Functionally flexibly would be defined as the ability to engage in activities of daily living, getting dressing, tying shoe laces... these are things oldies do struggle with as they lose flexibility (and strength, coordination). Most younger people will not have this issue and therefore be functionally flexible.

In regards to injury, less flexible people are less likely to have joint (hyperextension) injuries and also flexibility or lack of is not predictive of soft tissue injuries (with the exception of certain movements in specific sports/activities) as most tendon and muscle sprains/strains occur at mid-range in movements. You definitely don’t want to be double jointed, very high chance of reoccurring joint sprains leading to early onset osteoarthritis. While the evidence shows that stretching does not have a dose response, ie. more is not better with a 30-60 second stretch per muscle group being more than sufficient. I am on the fence about this as anecdotally I have seen people stretch for up to a hour per day and achieve very good results. I’ll link some peer reviewed guidelines in at the bottom.

While it would be academically great to do level 2 or 3 yoga positions, I don't have the time (I would need to spend hours each day to get that flexible if it is possible at all). Also I realise that maintaining flexibilty is something to work on for old age. What are the recommendations beyond "just stretch"?
While I am not a big advocate of stretching (without a activity based reason for it), I would stretch certain muscle groups as they are either not used in a full range of motion (potentially leading to inflexibility) gastroc, soleus, hamstrings, quads, gluts / glut med, adductors, hip flexors; Or muscles that are held in static postures for long lengths of time, back / pelvis muscle groups, chest and shoulders (cycling is very anterior biased).

General guidelines are (to me these are not entirely correct - but are written in such a way to be applicable to everyone); for your case, I'd go daily, x3 daily, 45-60 secs per stretch, x 3 times and till it hurts (minor pain but more than discomfort), in a sauna is sensation, hot bath or shower, post non-fatiguing exercise (vigorous stretching fatigued muscles is potentially dangerous).

American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) Guidelines for flexibility training
Activities: Perform a general stretching routine following exercises that have warmed-up the body, targeting the major muscle and/or joint/tendon groups using static (non-bouncing) techniques
Frequency: At least 3 days per week
Intensity: Slowly stretching to a position of mild discomfort
Duration: Hold stretch for at least 10 seconds, working up to 30 seconds
Repetitions: Perform each stretch 3-5 times

http://www.acsm.org/about-acsm/media-room/news-releases/2011/08/01/acsm-issues-new-recommendations-on-quantity-and-quality-of-exercise
http://www.humankinetics.com/excerpts/excerpts/the-importance-and-purpose-of-flexibility
http://www.ausport.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/490979/Fact_Sheet_-_Flexibility.pdf

driftking

Wheel size expert
There are studies that also show a correlation between artery stiffness and flexibility.
If you don't stretch for sport consider stretching for the arteries

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/dr-soram-khalsa/yoga-health-the-flexibili_b_570848.html

In another study that had been published earlier (2), Doctors Cortez-Cooper and colleagues found again that stretching exercises, but NOT strength training or aerobic exercise, improved (by 23 percent) the flexibility of the carotid artery, the main artery in our neck that carries blood to our brain.

The study in the link was limited to Japanese subjects so there needs to be a more overall study of race and gender. The actual studies can be found at the bottom of the page
But it may be worth a look.

Last edited:

shirtz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
thoughts on bikram yoga? its extreme heat and stretching. havent stuck with it enough to come to a conclusion though.

Also found dry needling to definatly work for me. have a google.

Ride_Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well thought I might add my two cents, I have recently come out of a muscle tear, was either glute med or something in that area. Anyways everything is doing all sorts of funny stuff due to my glutes being fairly week, after a week of daily foam roller on my ITB and stretching for 30 seconds x3 twice a day I can touch my toes again and feel much more comfortable on he bike.

Previously I was a good 30cm short.

Rhys

JB0000

Squid
Hi guys just wondering if anyone else has or had hamstrings and calves so tight they could be used to shoot a arrow?
Well thats me Ive never been able to lean forward past my knees.
This gives me all sorts of grief in my lower back as well.

Ive been given many types of stretches etc to do over the years by physio's and chiro's but Ive never stuck with it long enough to see any result.

For example laying flat on the floor I cant raise my leg past about 25 - 30 degrees, and even to get to there my calf muscle is burning like hairy banshee on fire.

What stretches have given you the best and quickest results?
I've struggled with lower back, hamstring, calve, itb, quads..etc etc problems for years.
As most people have already mentioned consistancy is the key. Even if your not tight you need to maintain regular streches to keep on top it 'unfortunaly'.
And although you have tight hamstrings you'll find a combination of muslce tightness is adding to you hamstring/calve issues.

I usally do mine while watching the TV. But instead of just stretching I use a few tools (torture devices..) to get into each place. A tennis ball for glutes, itb, quads, some hamstring and use it up against a wall for my lower, upper back and neck. A Rumble Roller is brutal but great on my itb, quads and calves. A golf ball for my feet.

For leg rasies (hamstrings) the best I found was using a stretch band. The one with the handles. I hook both handles over one foot and pull my leg up to get the stretch (usualy have to wear shoes for a bit of extra grip). Done regularly you should be able to inch your hand up closer to the handles increasing the strech. I now hold it at the handles for a straight leg raise but hold the band when streching to the outside or across my body.
Good luck..

resistance-bands.jpg
rumble-roller.jpg