Hand pump in my hydration pack. BIG MISTAKE!!!!!

Salce77

Squid
Had myself a bit of an accident last weekend at Red Hill.
I rode all the usual trails in rain, hail and sunshine. On my way back to the bottom carpark, with my friend at least 2 bike lengths behind me I decided to pull a manual on the walking track. We where no more than 30 metres from my car.

Once I had it at balance point it started to lean slightly to the right but it was nothing to worry about until I saw that my friend was all of a sudden right there next to me on my right. I put the front wheel down and my bars came down on top of his and we both hit the deck.

I fell off the left side of my bike and rolled 180 degrees and landed flat on my back with a massive thud. The pump I had in my pack dug right into my back which ended up breaking 5 ribs and winding me servearly.
So now I'm off work and off my bike for at least 4 weeks.

Just a word of warning people, check what you have in your packs and imagine how it would feel if you fell directly onto it. I've learnt the hard way and just thought i'd share my experience.

moorey

call me Mia
Not riding is a safer option. Sorry to hear, old bean, but I reckon other stuff in my pack is a bigger worry to my spine.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
SO was it the pump that cause the problem, or the stuffing up the manual...? What was the real mistake...:spy:

teK--

Eats Squid
This is exactly why it cringes me to think of people who wear the swat jerseys and carry all sorts of tools and shit in the pockets...

Quick healing mate.

mekros

Likes Dirt
My pack is only for soft foods (bananas), clothing layers, and a hydration pack for that reason. Everything else goes into a saddle bag or gets strapped to the bike.

I hope you heal up quickly.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Damn! Sorry to hear about the stack.

May not be as useful info now (unless you have a similar crash in the future) but EVOC FR backpacks come with a removable back protector that has a lifetime crash replacement too.

Your stack reminds me of this thread I came across where a guy had a similar incident and uploaded a photo of his back which had a big red mark in the shape of a RockShox shock pump.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Not riding is a safer option. Sorry to hear, old bean, but I reckon other stuff in my pack is a bigger worry to my spine.
Those 16" dildo's are a curse of a thing when they slip out of your backpack, you fall on them arse first and they penetrate your anus, tickling your spine.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Your stack reminds me of this thread I came across where a guy had a similar incident and uploaded a photo of his back which had a big red mark in the shape of a RockShox shock pump.
Reminds me of this thread
https://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?292228-Caution-for-when-packing-backpacks-with-tools

I use a frame bag on my fat bike and it is a lot more comfortable not riding with a back pack. I might invest in some frame bags for my other bikes as I still carry a pump in my bag.

Hope you have a speed recovery Salce.

aanon

Likes Dirt
Bummer mate, heal fast.
I sometimes think about things in my Camelbak but the trails are littered with rocks and shit so ya just gotta ride and hope for the best.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Does your friend not know how to brake???

Sounds painful. Get a back protector and you'll feel so much safer. Maybe add a small layer of padding to the backpack as well? Or wrap the hard tools in a towel or a shallow? There's lots of neat tricks for packing out your pack and still having the essentials.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Those 16" dildo's are a curse of a thing when they slip out of your backpack, you fall on them arse first and they penetrate your anus, tickling your spine.
That's the most elaborate excuse I've heard in a while.

"I was just riding along..."

stirk

Burner
Ouch, that's a lot of ribs to break in a low speed tumble. Sleep well.

My CamelBak and also a mates with a different model both have fairly study padding on them providing a level of protection for your back from the packs contents. Water bladder which sits between back and pack contents is half empty so wouldn't do much. You could also add more padded lining material in the pack to increase the protection.

Broken ribs

Has to be one of the most common, and most painful, injuries that comes with riding MTB. I have broken ribs in Rotorua, Queenstown, Tassie and at my local trails as well...just lucky I guess...

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
This is exactly why it cringes me to think of people who wear the swat jerseys and carry all sorts of tools and shit in the pockets...

Quick healing mate.
+1. Topeak makes pumps with frame brackets that tuck under/next to a bottle cage

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/topeak-mini-dual-dx-pump-with-gauge/rp-prod146230

Also, Zefal make tie straps with a rubber cradle part so you can strap your pump to the bike frame. Couple of those and you're good to go
https://www.evanscycles.com/zefal-doodad-pump-strap-and-pump-clip-EV170449

I use that setup for the pump on my road bike. very secure and out of the way.

Also, the EVOC FR packs with removeable back protector are ace, as another poster mentioned

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Has to be one of the most common, and most painful, injuries that comes with riding MTB. I have broken ribs in Rotorua, Queenstown, Tassie and at my local trails as well...just lucky I guess...
You need to bulk up. Get in the pie diet and pad out those ribs!