Hard Bicycle Cases...

Gone Riding

Likes Dirt
looks the goods!

cool design and evil idea! i like!

any pics of the wheels ?

what about security ?

website says bike box is 7kg, how does yours differ to make it 12kg? is it the corflute ? or size a lot different?
Not 100% sure where extra weight came from, perhaps the 2x foam padding panels, definitely the corflute all over, + 2x small wheels. I don't think the overall size affected weight, as mine was approximately same total dimensions, just slightly different proportions.

No wheel pics yet, they are being changed.

Security options are detailed earlier in this thread :)

Optimus

Likes Bikes
I've been looking at getting an EVA "soft" case similar to this one:

http://www.velogear.com.au/products/Bike_Case_EVA_Pod-353-0.html

To solve the problem of weight being put on it's side, I will buy a couple of postage tubes from the post office to place in a few places (which can also be used to put wheel skewers, pedals & tools)

One problem with going a case over a cardboard box is you can't pack as much stuff in with your bike (shoes, food, bulky clothing, etc).

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
We were looking at those EVA cases and ended up going with the Polaris Bike Pod ones - bit more expensive but a few kilos lighter. The chinese copies seem to weigh in at around 9-10kg while the Polaris are 6.7kg.

Have flown to NZ with them - the main issue with the EVA/hard cases is that you kinda need somewhere to store them at your destination. Have two EVA cases in a campervan for two weeks was averted in our case because we have a friend in NZ who was happy to have them in his garage. At least you can recycle the cardboard box and travel without a bulky bike case. But I do like the extra protection the EVA case gives and it's too soft for the baggage people to load it under stuff. Plus it opens out like a clam shell meaning that displaying your bike to customs (to prove it's clean) is very easy and they don't have to rummage through everything and leave you to repack.

Steve_N

Likes Dirt
Just thought I'd update for those who are interested... Brad dropped off a sample of the REBUL panel material today - it's super tough! Much harder, and torsionally stiffer than I ever imagined it could be. What's probably not obvious in the website pics is that it's approx 35mm thick including the corflute layer and unbelievably light even with corflute. I'll be purchasing one soon!
Hey GR - did you end up buying the Rebul case? If so, what's it like? Did you get any of the optional extra like wheels you mentioned? Very interested to hear your thoughts...

Gone Riding

Likes Dirt
Update... New wheels set-up.

Hey GR - did you end up buying the Rebul case? If so, what's it like? Did you get any of the optional extra like wheels you mentioned? Very interested to hear your thoughts...
Hey Steve, I did get the Rebul Bike Case and have used it for one trip, including a flight, roofracks, lots of wheeling around, more roofracks, a Greyhound coach back to Adelaide, etc. The box looks 'used' now as expected, but I had full confidence that the bike was totally safe on all legs of the journey - and that's why I got it! Have added a real short review on Page 2 of this thread and been too busy with work since to do anything more. Have a read, if you have any questions, just post it and I'll reply so others can read too.

My bike case was one of the early ones produced and they have since updated the wheels and the way they are mounted, and sent me a new replacement set for free. Here's a couple of pics of some installed on a similar box (the ones they sent to me are black and slightly bigger, I haven't put them on yet)...