Hard Tail Down Hill

Nukid

Likes Dirt
Im Looking at racing hardtail in the next few races of the state series and im just wondering weither there are any hardtail frames around that would cope with 170mm forks and that are strong enough to cope with the demands of Downhill.
I am going back to a hardtail as a dually is just to expensive atm and i just snapped my yakuza's swingarm. I also was told by friends that i looked a lot smoother on a hardtail and that i was faster down my own downhill track on a hardtail than a dually

caddy

Likes Dirt
Norco Torrent. Designed to run 7" travel forks. I ride one and I've never had a prob with frame strength/durability. It'll make you chose your lines a bit more carefully though and imo it will make you a smoother and better rounded rider. That's the reason I still ride HT's instead of going to the squishy bike :D
They don't make the Torrent anymore though, but have a look around the for sale section and you should be able to find one eventually. If you want to go new, have a look at the Manik or Rampage. The new Rampages look unreal :)
Good luck champ

B1KR BOI

Likes Dirt
Yeeoww racing downhill on a hardtail is the most fun you can have on a bike. I own a 2005 Norco Rampage and ive raced at a club and a national run and you would be surprised how many people also race downhill. Norco's are definitely going to be the best value for money and the frames are really strong but that means that there is going to be added weight. Alot of kids actually race on STP's so it really depends on what your budget is and what you prefer. Spec is usually better on an STP and they have chainguides no granny rings so you wont have to upgrade like on the norcos but strength and durability are much better on the norco as well as the geo IMO. Anyway i really encourage you to do it, its awesome fun!

Good luck and i might see you at the races,
Greg

dcrofty

Eats Squid
There is someone on here selling a Banshee Morphine. that will take anything you want to throw at it.

I've raced a Craftworks rail as well and that also fills your criteria I think. I'm sure you could find one around if you look for long enough.

mrthundacleez

Likes Dirt
NS BITCH ($575 delivered to your door from thebikeshedmortdale.com.au) + JR T's + 2.5inch maxxis high rollers = farkin awsome ride

fatass

Banned
If you can push the budget get a 2MXTB and join the uber elite clan of australian nicolai owners. Just stick the parts from the Yakuza over. It'll set you back nearly $2000 but look, 100% choice of building, right down to tube lengths and colours.

Sutek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you can push the budget get a 2MXTB and join the uber elite clan of australian nicolai owners. Just stick the parts from the Yakuza over. It'll set you back nearly $2000 but look, 100% choice of building, right down to tube lengths and colours.
This is why you should choose a Norco Rampage from 2007.

$2249 ges you:

with Marzocchi 66RV's 170mm
Avid Juicy 5's
Polished Singletrack rims
SRAM X-9rear
SRAM X-7front
Howitzer spline BB
Hussefelt Cranks
Syncro Hubs

Plus heaps more

PS...this is not an AD.

AND THE sexiest HT on the planet (aside from Kona dHer's Cowan teehee)

SELL your Yakuza bits, cause you already have stuff on your new Norc, and treat everyone here on Farkin to a lush night out!

Yeeeeaaaaahaahaa

Harder Nox

Likes Dirt
There was a thread on the same sort of topic not long ago, do a search mate, heaps of suggestions in there..

However,

Banshee Morphine. 'nuf said!

juliancantride

Likes Dirt
I suggest that you get a Norco Rampage but if you don't have the money get a Norco Manik. Pretty nice spec for hardtail downhill and they're around $1700 for an 07.

bodgie

Likes Dirt
Best downhill hardtails would probably have to be the banshee morphine or the nicolai. The nicolai costs a fair bit though and the morphine aint cheap either. The best value for money downhill hardtail would have to be one of the norco shore hardtails like the sasquatch, rampage, manik etc. Although like someone said before the NS bitch can take long travel and they look a sweet bike, i'd give one of them a crack

lethalweapon

Likes Dirt
I agree you should spend the money and get a banshee morphine, they are sick rides and hold up like fort knox, so they are a good choice for a hardtail Downhiller...good luck with ur purchuse:cool: