Hardtail frame for AM..?

hiredassassin

Likes Dirt
Gday

Im a heavy bugger and a messy rider, but i still like to jump up/off/over things. I have a cannondale prophet built up for AM which is great, but pretty heavy and not so great for more XC rides.

I'd like to put together a nice AM hardtail (so i can still have a tuff bike, but i can ride up hills easier, and stop being so lazy).

Can anyone recommend a good frame??

SantaCruz chameleon springs to mind, but looking for some other options...

Damienp

Likes Dirt
Transition, TransAm.

Will be the next hard tail i purchase. I have a bottlerocket and am so bloody impressed by the company i will be a customer for a long time.

hiredassassin

Likes Dirt
funnily enough i did just see the transAM on the TBSM site. Nice looking bike, pretty good price too...

just realised who's post im replying to - Hey Damien - thanks heaps for the Pikes - i have them installed now and they're bloody lovely! cheers.

Last edited:

Blackthorn

Likes Dirt
I'd personally recommend a chameleon. I've had my 08 model for over a year now and it's set up as a lightweight AM bike (see my PYR thread for details). It handles drops/jumps quite nicely but put the seat back up and it climbs well too.

It might be a little too XC orientated for you if you're wanting to do some more DH style riding but for being able to ride up and down almost anything, its great!

Damienp

Likes Dirt
funnily enough i did just see the transAM on the TBSM site. Nice looking bike, pretty good price too...

just realised who's post im replying to - Hey Damien - thanks heaps for the Pikes - i have them installed now and they're bloody lovely! cheers.
Hey Kriss! Glad you are enjoying them.

I reckon you couldn't go too far wrong with a chameleon or a TransAm. The TransAm i think would be a bit more forgiving being Chromo, which if you are wanting a hardtail then some sort of give is welcomed. The chameleon would be a great ride also, but would definitely be a harsher ride over the Transition.

The transition was designed from the ground up for this sort of riding, plus if i am not mistaken a bit cheaper than the SC? It would definitely be a bit more unique out here as i doubt there is many around.

le chat

Likes Dirt
Norco HT range or Cove Stiffee or the TransAM which looks sweet as a nut. Alternatively, Brodie Holeshot/Brusier?

Just some other options to throw into the mix.

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How tall are you, and do you intend on being able to run the saddle at a high enough position to allow for comfortable pedalling? A big factor to consider with smaller bikes ;)

hiredassassin

Likes Dirt
How tall are you, and do you intend on being able to run the saddle at a high enough position to allow for comfortable pedalling? A big factor to consider with smaller bikes ;)
I'm only 178cm or something like that.. with short legs. I normally take a medium size frame (when talking XC frames anyway).

Yep - I normally have the saddle pretty high, but then i'm on a full-susser so don't really ever get outta the saddle (this is the whole reason i want to go HT - i wanna be able to get up and push up the hills again rather than sitting and spinning).

The more I look at it - that transition frame looks gorgeous. I have a set of 6 inch forks (adjustable travel too) that would be perfect for it.

Just need to find some wheels (WHY don't those transition AMs come in any different colours to black?!?! boring!) and brakes and work out if i'm gonna go SS or geared...

Damienp

Likes Dirt
Get the wheels sprayed. Any Colour you want then. I like black though. nice, clean, stealthy.

Am looking forward to seeing what you get.

fezi

Likes Dirt
Left field entrant. Pace RC305. Tough as nails pommy do it all machine. Mate had one whilst I lived in the UK, it was stiff as. Relatively cheap as well CLICKY

Kernal Klink

Likes Dirt
The Coves above look pretty damn nice it has to be said.. but i really cant recomend a chameleon enough. Ive had my 08 lizard for about 6 months now, and it does everything. Awesome bikes and worth the somewhat inflated santa cruz price.