Hardtail or Duallie

joshyboi069

Likes Dirt
Hi to all! I was just wondering wheather how much more enjoyable riding DH on a dual suspension bike is, compared to a hard tail, as i have never try'ed it. I'm currently riding an 06 Sasquatch with a few decent upgrades like 66's ect. So with DH being my passion, i want to enjoy my time riding as much as possible, bringing me to the question of wheather it would be nessasary to upgrade to a dullie or not. Any feedback would be great. Cheers! :D

balcombh

Likes Dirt
upgrade to a duallie for sure. i am upgrading to. i was doing a bit of downhill and drops on my bike (stp1), and then i had a go on my friends faith 3 which isnt a great bike but it was so much smoother i loved it.

THE YETI

Likes Dirt
Dh on a hardtail can be alot of fun. It gives you alot of skills that are VERY useful once youve made the transition ie line selection. But if you either want to get into competition or just want to pin it. You would be better off getting a duelie. I have ridden both on a DH track and doing it on a duelie is alot more fun. But after a run on a hardtail you do feel a sense of achievment.
so thats really the deal as i see it.

Randy Rhoads

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you have upgraded your Sasquatch you can buy a DS frame and transfer all the parts to it. That way you wont have to pay a fortune.

Kasplat

Likes Dirt
Dh on a hardtail can be alot of fun. It gives you alot of skills that are VERY useful once youve made the transition ie line selection. But if you either want to get into competition or just want to pin it. You would be better off getting a duelie. I have ridden both on a DH track and doing it on a duelie is alot more fun. But after a run on a hardtail you do feel a sense of achievment.
couldn't agree more!!!!

Pete_10

Likes Bikes and Dirt
depends how long you have been riding ht for. if not long stick with it and reep the benefits later. makes you lots smoother riding a ht first.

Disturbed.Rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you have upgraded your Sasquatch you can buy a DS frame and transfer all the parts to it. That way you wont have to pay a fortune.

Thats a very good idea, if you can afford it...becasue then you still [in effect] have a hardtail if you feel like going for bash on one.

joshyboi069

Likes Dirt
Thanks for all the info guys really apreciate it! I love my HT and yes you're all right about benifiting from riding one, as i have greatly. But it seems you just cant pass up the opportunity of upgrading to a dual suspension beast. :D

THE YETI

Likes Dirt
Thanks for all the info guys really apreciate it! I love my HT and yes you're all right about benifiting from riding one, as i have greatly. But it seems you just cant pass up the opportunity of upgrading to a dual suspension beast. :D
Seems to me that you have made your decision. Only thing I have to say about that is:
1)Spend the money straight up, if you try and get something really cheap they break and you are forever fixing them.
2)Make sure (if buying 2nd hand) you see the bike first and give it a good once over before handing any cash over.
3) GO NUTZ!!Once you get used to your duelie its the best feeling in the world. go big and ride hard.

zstreetco

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ive been riding DH on my hardtail for the past year (only ridden downhill like 5 times though haha) but still its sooo much fun, you get alot of skill out of it, you get great control over your bike, it might be a bit painful in rockgardens and ruts but if you have the right tyre pressure it can b a blast.
however, if you want to get more specific in your riding, like if you only want to FR and DH sorta thing then a dually will not dissappoint but then again the right hardtail wont either, its really what you want to do? a dually is a much more competitive DH bike though, although theres no stopping you from gettin a sick time on a HT i've beaten a fair few of my friends on their big expensive duallies before, but i cant be hypocritical, i am upgrading to a dually (if i ever sell my bike!!!!!!!! BUY MY BIKE!) because i've kinda grown out of the whole DJ'in scene n street stuff, FR and DH is my calling and sounds like it is yours as well.

not sure how much that will help you, but best of luck with your decision ;)

steve66

Likes Dirt
i have a norco torrent (as seen on post your ride) and all my mate i go riding with have dh comp and dh team and a da bomb mo bomb i think thats what its called? they have a smoother ride and all but like everyone else has said on this post you have more fun on a hardtail because you have to find a good line before you take it. and i can do everything they can do its just that i feel it a little more they them.. e.g tim(dh comp) done a 28 foot drop on his bike and bottomed the fark out of it and i done it done the same thing but i felt bigger cause i done it on a hardtail.

so if i was you i would stick to a hardtail for a while longer so you can pick a line strat away and you will know its the smoothest cause you done it on a hardtail....

jon55sey

Likes Dirt
I ride DH on Ht and love it. Ive been riding for a over year now and its only just recent that the thought of getting a Dually has come across my mind. I will get a dually one day but am in no rush. The best thing is when people say "You crazy for riding a ht down this track!", or, after you have just nailed the whole run.

hyperkona

Likes Bikes

I totally agree! I rode for about 4 years DH on a hardtail then got a dualie! The skills you will have picked up are invaluable for your transition to a dualie! Weight distribution, picking your lines, braking etc.... Once you are on a dualie you'll love it and take to it like a duck to water! :D Go hard mate and enjoy the transition! Youll never forget your hard tail days and I still enjoy the odd nail on the hard tail for funs sake!:cool:

eternalgorias

Likes Dirt
I've heard alot of crap that riding a hardtail makes you choose your lines better. Sure it does, but theres no need to practice 'choosing lines' on a hard tail when you can do it just as well on duallie, and if you stuff up your run on a dual bike you don't get the kick factor in the rear. Dualies let you choose to take runs on a knife edge. I can't see any real benefits in riding a hardtail downhill unless your strapped for cash. Once you switch to a duallie, you'll never look back.

Last edited:

THE YETI

Likes Dirt
I've heard alot of crap that riding a hardtail makes you choose your lines better. Sure it does, but theres no need to practice 'choosing lines' on a hard tail when you can do it just as well on duallie, and if you stuff up your run on a dual bike you don't get the kick factor in the rear. Dualies let you choose to take runs on a knife edge. I can't see any real benefits in riding a hardtail downhill unless your strapped for cash. Once you switch to a duallie, you'll never look back.
I agree in some respects but COMPLETELY disagree in others.
Yes it is possible to choose all the perfect lines straight away on a duelie. But when you ride a hardtail down a hard dh track then if you DON'T choose the right line, then you get punished for it. It teaches you alot faster than if you begin straight up on a duelie. (im no stranger to dual suspension vvv look at my signature) But ive just bought a hardtail for that very reason.
It FORCES perfect line selection and smoothness on you.

PyletSnviper

Likes Dirt
may i point out reece who rides ourimbah in a flanno shirt is nearing the sub 4 min mark on his hardtail.....so in this instance he is going as fast as most the people on duallies

i wonder how far hes off the slowest elite :rolleyes:

SMIIISH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ask yourself this... do you like air, fast, split second reaction, ripping down drops n stuff........or the smooth rolling on the streets and jumps n stuff with the technique and relaxation with the boys. personally...i like the mixture... DH and bumming is great fun and i dont understand why you can enjoy the best of both worlds. if you like DH get a mean one and if you got a niggling to bum, just have a cheap lil streeter or somethin to whip around on and build those skills with! im sure youll feel like the bigger rider too with more experience under your belt. if you wanna fit in with the boys...thats a decision you gotta make...but i rekn if you perform better and feel more confident on one than the other... go for whatever!

Last edited:

sit_still

Likes Dirt
I ride DH on Ht and love it. Ive been riding for a over year now and its only just recent that the thought of getting a Dually has come across my mind. I will get a dually one day but am in no rush. The best thing is when people say "You crazy for riding a ht down this track!", or, after you have just nailed the whole run.
only really been getting back into DH past month, can see the point of daully when your heading down rocky trails bouncing all over the place, but its so much more fun on a HT, the looks you get from people with dualies is great, might up grade 1 day but untill then, build up the HT to a good spec so when the time comes itll be sweet.

hard tail for the win:D :D :D