Hardtail or Dually

crowash

Likes Dirt
Lol doing my first 100 on a heckler next week, I'm not too concerned about the weight just wanna have fun on the downs. I actually own a carbon hardtail but there is no way I'd be smiling after 7 hours getting bashed around on it.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2

I ride both, though i only have 2 hardtails at the moment.

Single speed alloy 26 (whats left in the shed special) running 32/16 ,great fun but hard on the back on anything over 4hrs.

Carbon 29 Scale with carbon cockpit etc great for everything really....

Dilmah

Squid
Im getting about on a giant trance x2 26er, this bike has been great, I'm very much a lazy rider and I do prefer to sit that stand up so a dually has been a great choice for me. I feel very confident on this bike when things tend to get pretty hairy or technical. Its by no means the greatest bike, but for someone getting into mountain biking it is definitely a good starting point.

The first bike I rode was a mongoose hardtail, being more of a recreational bike than a fun single trail bike, I was very happy to upgrade to the dually. Now that I have owned the dually and got my fitness up, I am now considering a medium to long travel hardtail to have some fun on. but i think i will wait till the 650Bs start flooding the market.

Engelados

Likes Bikes
Hard...core !!! :evil:

Hehe. Hardtail all the way. :D
NO OFFENSE to the FS riders BUT

Both bikes can be ridden fast for any type of MTBing.
Anyone can ride a dually fast...BUT riding a Hardtail fast takes skill

Instead of trying to increase our skill we try to find ways to decrease the need of skill

I firmly believe that a Hardtail increases your skill, and if you get enough skill you will be able to do the same thing you would do with duallies.
So ride Hardtails.....and dump those SPDs as well !!!

P.S. I don't pretend to be a pro or something (i am not even close to that)

creole

Likes Bikes
im loving FS 29er. Its quite lazy over terrain that i would usually avoid or pick an alternate line.
Great for our group who are more interested in fitness and a little hoon through XC single trails.
My 29er ht is now retired to milkbar duties but i still love it and i really dont want to sell it.. HT teaches you line, and is extremely direct and somewhat raw due to the rear end skipping around and the seat pounding your ass. Climbing is also 'easier' with a HT

Mac69

Cannon Fodder
im loving FS 29er. Its quite lazy over terrain that i would usually avoid or pick an alternate line.
Great for our group who are more interested in fitness and a little hoon through XC single trails.
My 29er ht is now retired to milkbar duties but i still love it and i really dont want to sell it.. HT teaches you line, and is extremely direct and somewhat raw due to the rear end skipping around and the seat pounding your ass. Climbing is also 'easier' with a HT
Alwase had hard tails ,like to try dully ,but worried about the pedal bob thing as I ride 40%road and 60% off

Sappa

Likes Dirt
Alwase had hard tails ,like to try dully ,but worried about the pedal bob thing as I ride 40%road and 60% off
I have a old 26" hard tail and while faster than the Trance, I don't really notice the bob. And I have ridden a 29" dually more XC than the Trance and that had less bob again. Come to think of it I don't remember any bob at all, but that may be due to not riding enough or I now sit down and spin when climbing.

Hmm maybe I should take it for a proper ride up some rocks.

phil007

Squid
IMO - Specialized Epic with the "Brain" suspension system. It pedals and feels like a hard tail, but when you hit a bump it becomes a dually. It is an awesome ride.

Mossy J Moose

Likes Bikes
That Specialized Epic sounds pretty darn awesome - though with a starting price of close to $6000, it was well and truely out of my budget.

If your budget was only several hundred out from the cost if an Epic, I would recommend saving a little harder and spending a bit more.

My budget was $1800 and I stretched to $2500 to buy an Anthem X1 29er. Whilst very happy with my purchase, my memories of the Specialized weekend at Stromlo will be cherished. The SWorks Camber was the most amazing ride ever!!!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Mossy J Moose

Likes Bikes
I bought a dually hoping for versatility, though now after commuting to work each day, I am far to tired on a weekend to hit the mountain.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Kano555

Squid
I'm in between at the moment, prefer the hardtail for versatility on road, but a dually is just so much better off it.

Mossy J Moose

Likes Bikes
I was in a very similar position, given my commuting 20km each way two or three tines a week. My rides up and down Stromlo make it all worth it.

apologies for the brevity, this was sent from my Samsung GS4

glasslike

Likes Dirt
My opinion of the Hardtail vs Dually Debate from a XC perspective.

People learning/starting out
-I recommend they buy a hardtail. The reason for this is because they are cheaper for people just starting out this is a point that should be considered because they may not continue participating in the sport. Hardtails are better for people learning, this is because it makes them aware how line choice affects the bikes handling ie, they cannot point it straight and hope they plough through everything. Lastly they are lighter, and for someone that may not have the leg strength to get up some of the steeper inclines the less weight of the bike will help them.

Social riders/Long events
-They can buy whichever they like better. For the same price hardtails are better specced, lighter and easier to maintain. Full supsension bikes are more comfortable, less hard on the rider and for people that are less competent which technical downhills faster/more forgiving.

Racers/Pros
-You don't need my advice

Alexander

Bodin

GMBC
I've been on a dually for 10 years and recently changed to a carbon hardtail... Oh the speed!!!
Interested to know if it "feels" faster or is actually faster.

I went the opposite direction a couple of years ago - from a 10.5kg 29er hardtail back to a 13.0kg 26er dually and was really surprised to see some of my times improve and very few get worse. Overall, I was quicker on the heavier, squishier, smaller-wheeled bike because I was seated and pedalling more often.

I've had a HT for years. I agree about it being a good starter bike. In the UK I rode 'easy' long trails. Over here I seem to be hitting the shorter, more technical and rougher trails, and you do have to pick your lines carefully. I've managed on the HT but some parts of some trails are a touch wearing. on me not the bike! I've swapped a few times and done the same courses on the same day on a dually and I was a lot happier. Though admittedly slower going up - it is an old heavy Giant. I've just bought a secondhand dually (off a bloke on here actually - thanks!) I'm yet to manage an off-road adventure, but it's not that heavy, probably not far off my old HT. So hopefully I've found the best of both worlds for me - looking forward to hitting the rough stuff this weekend.

I bought secondhand as I think you can get more bang for your buck. That only really matters if you're always broke like me :)

I will add I am just a recreational rider. No interest in lap times etc. Just like getting out in the fresh air and doing a bit of something somewhere nice :thumb:

Fish90

Likes Dirt
Depends on the discipline. I ride my hard tail for most XC trails and my dually for the ruff stuff! All depends on the trail ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405847428.673374.jpg
My merida hard tail today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

meakesy

Squid
I started off riding an entry level hard tail, and that really helped me get my skills up to speed from an extreme amateur beginner to someone who could ride a medium difficulty trail without any issues. I bought my dually about one year in and the difference in riding comfort and confidence was huge! Obstacles and sections that previously seemed challenging and rough were now rather straight forward and comfortable to ride. Saying that, my hard tail was bottom end price wise whilst my AM bike was definitely a mid range in pricing with top spec parts, so I wouldn't say it's a fair comparison. I do love my dually and would ride it any day over my HT, but I haven't ever ridden a quality HT, so I don't think that's the fairest comparison. I definitely see the advantage of riding a HT in skill development, but don't think a dually decreases skill growth or makes you "less of a rider".