Hardtail trail bike.. Buy or build

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Ho shit, these things look fun. 67.5 deg HTA, 74deg STA and wtf a super short CSL @ only 418mm :faint:
This thing would just shred and rip all day in a 27.5.

Wish the boat would sell....
the spesh fuse 6fattie comes in around there... 67° HTA, 73° STA, 430mm stays with 27.5+

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Another vote for build.

I built a Surly Troll for xc/trail use with XT/XO all round, Hope Pro 2/Stans ZTR Flow, Crank Brothers bits for $2.5k a few years ago, so can't see why it isn't possible.

Have you considered a Surly Instigator 2? http://surlybikes.com/bikes/instigator_2point0/frame_highlights Super nice looking bike, steel, not as slack as the Ragley Blue Pig, but definitely trail inclined.

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
Ho shit, these things look fun. 67.5 deg HTA, 74deg STA and wtf a super short CSL @ only 418mm :faint:
This thing would just shred and rip all day in a 27.5.

Wish the boat would sell....
The NS eccentric has almost the same name numbers; size L - HTA 67.5, STA 73, Chainstay 420... and they come in ninja stealth black!

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Indeed! My Riot has 414mm chainstays for a 140mm 29er. Ordering bits for my new hardtail build at the moment (Chromag Rootdown) and its got 430mm chainstays.

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
My 650b hardtail is 415-430 and I'd like it in the short setting but it just lifts the front on climbs, 430mm is a bit of a pig to manual.

cramhobart

Likes Dirt
Yes, I had considered it, tiny bit longer and slacker at the back.
The NS is about $600 cheaper on CRC at the moment- thats a massive price difference for SFA in geometry, Nukeproof Scout 275
ticks most of the boxes, available soon and about $500 cheaper than the transition. I'm sure the transitions a nice frame- but $1200 is a big chunk out of a 3k build budget.

DamionGiersch

Likes Bikes
Cotic BFe275 FTW

I went the Cotic BFe 275 route, and ordered the frame through the Australian Distributor. Got it for $600, but that was before the Australian Dollar kept going down like a 2 dollar hooker.

Am running mine with 160mm Suntour Auron forks (seem pretty good to me), and this bike shits all over the Ragley BluePig I had previously. I haven't ridden enough bikes to make a subjective comparison, but this bike to me is the Ducks Nuts!

Killer frame materials! Killer Geo! Killer Ride!

Attachments

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I went the Cotic BFe 275 route, and ordered the frame through the Australian Distributor. Got it for $600, but that was before the Australian Dollar kept going down like a 2 dollar hooker.

Am running mine with 160mm Suntour Auron forks (seem pretty good to me), and this bike shits all over the Ragley BluePig I had previously. I haven't ridden enough bikes to make a subjective comparison, but this bike to me is the Ducks Nuts!

Killer frame materials! Killer Geo! Killer Ride!
Your brake line routing is making me feel ill.

DamionGiersch

Likes Bikes
Your brake line routing is making me feel ill.
Lol. I know - probably shouldn't assemble a bike while downing beers.

Have since corrected the brake line routing, shortened hoses, and replaced all cable outers with white, but have been too lazy to take any photo's of a nice clean finished bike ;)

floody

Wheel size expert
This was is the cost breakdown of my Soul build:
(lightly used) Soul 26" frame with Cane Creek Forty headset- $700
Blunt 35s on Novatec 4 in 1 - $480
Continental Trail King 2.4 x2, Renthal Apex stem, M785 brake set, ODI TLD lock ons - $530
New GXP BB - $40
Used Fox 32 Float Factory RL $350
Fox heritage decals - $40
Tubes (I know) - $20
Deore shifter - $60

Total purchases: $2220.

Freebie used parts from old bike:
-SRAM S1000 crankset
-Renthal 32t chainring
-11-36 SRAM cassette
-Sram PC1031 chain
-Zee Derailleur
-Renthal bar
-Generic seat and post
-180/160 Shimano rotors
-Rear brake adaptor from parts bin

I think fork choice would be a defining factor in overall build cost but $3k should be well doable with some savvy purchases.

Also worth noting I could have had a killer deal on a '15 Honzo for $2199 out the door.

Last edited: