Hardtail Trail bike frame 'opinions'..

r.ayres1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
VAT is like GST and they subtract it for non-EU shipping destinations. Germany has 19% VAT for example, so when you change the shipping destination to Australia on a German website like Bike24.com, the prices are reduced by 19%. Most sites like Merlin and CRC will automatically be subtracting the 20% UK VAT if you've logged in with an account that has an Aussie shipping address.

Did I explain that clearly? I'm still half asleep...
Yes , and Thankyou Nambra :)

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Good morning gents,
'SF Trailboy' mentioned this in an earlier reply.. Could someone please explain what this means......... 'Don't forget to take the VAT off the frame .........?'
I have bought parts and frames from CRC and Merlin and Jenson, and never heard come across it.
Cheers
Not sure if you've gone ahead and made a purchase yet - if you haven't, then check out bike-components.de. They have 20% off Surly frames at the moment, including the Karate Monkey. Ends May 1st, so jump in quick - use the code "SURLYDEAL" to get the 20% discount:

upload_2018-4-29_19-48-41.png

Will work out to around AUD $830 - $850 delivered to your door (below $1k so no duty or GST). They are easily the best German online store.

Last edited:

r.ayres1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not sure if you've gone ahead and made a purchase yet - if you haven't, then check out bike-components.de. They have 20% off Surly frames at the moment, including the Karate Monkey. Ends May 1st, so jump in quick - use the code "SURLYDEAL" to get the 20% discount:

View attachment 344478

Will work out to around AUD $830 - $850 delivered to your door (below $1k so no duty or GST). They are easily the best German online store.
I owe you one Nambra ....
I just saw your post this arvo when I got in from work.. I didnt go with the K Monkey though, I went for his hairy brother 'Krampus'. No problem running boofed out rear tyres on this rig.
I have never even heard of this mob before - I wouldn,t have been able to to it without the discount code though, so many thanks mate !! Came in at $830, so fricken shits on anything I was seeing over here - plus there are no Krampus frames in Australia at the moment, so I have been told by the two Surly dealers in QLD, they said the next due shipment was in July and apparently no mediums were in that shipment anyway.... So there you go, not sure when I will see it, but once it is here and I have it built up, I will post a pic up on here.

Thanks again bud..!

Nambra

Nice to know I've been an enabler for your fetish! Plenty of folk here have purchased from bike-components before, and my own experience is that they are the best of the Germans in terms of communication if you need to contact them - they usually respond by email overnight, have a live chat facility you can use in the evening, and will price-match or beat their competitors if asked. Purchases usually take between 10-14 days to land at your door and you can track them via DHL, the quickest I've had from them is 9 days.

I'm torn on the 15% discount on Santa Cruz - I've had my eye on the Chameleon for a while but they're like hens teeth to get hold of locally. However, even with the discount on the frame from Germany it will still result in a landed cost of about AUD$1100, and I don't think it's worth rolling the dice on whether customs will wave it through or if I'll get stung with duty, GST and handling charges and it ends up costing me $1500! Plus, at 187cm, I'm borderline L/XL in sizing so ordering the right size will be a bit of a guess too - I think I'll just have to be more zen about it and wait until the 2019 frames hit our shores later in the year and buy locally.

PJO

in me vL comy
I'm torn on the 15% discount on Santa Cruz - I've had my eye on the Chameleon for a while but they're like hens teeth to get hold of locally. However, even with the discount on the frame from Germany it will still result in a landed cost of about AUD$1100, and I don't think it's worth rolling the dice on whether customs will wave it through or if I'll get stung with duty, GST and handling charges and it ends up costing me $1500! Plus, at 187cm, I'm borderline L/XL in sizing so ordering the right size will be a bit of a guess too - I think I'll just have to be more zen about it and wait until the 2019 frames hit our shores later in the year and buy locally.
Does this help?
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/hob...ameleon-27-5-xl-1x11-mountain-bike/1182762996
Don't know the guy so can't vouch but could be an option if you are considering a Chameleon. It's too big for me!

Nambra

Does this help?
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/hob...ameleon-27-5-xl-1x11-mountain-bike/1182762996
Don't know the guy so can't vouch but could be an option if you are considering a Chameleon. It's too big for me!
Thanks mate - I did see that one and whilst it is tempting, I'm leaning more towards the large size. I'm aiming for it to be more of a playful bike that I can work on my skills with, so I'm better off sizing down. Shame the guy is in Tassie and I'm in QLD as a test ride would be helpful!

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
fly down to tassie and test ride on some of the best trails in aus?

I don't see a negative here.............

r.ayres1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This arrived yesterday. It was really well boxed for the journey.
upload_2018-5-19_5-44-49.jpeg

upload_2018-5-19_5-45-36.jpeg

I will post up a pic or two when it's built up. Decided to get some new parts for it and left it a little late, should be in next week.
Cheers all, and a Special 'Shout' out to you Nambra :)

r.ayres1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Finished assembly this morning - just got back from first ride - nice. Really quiet and smooth (compared to my Alloy hardtail). Will probably buy a cheapy dropper with internal cable routing and put the lever dropper back on the Alloy H/tail, but don,t really have any plans to do anything else to it at this stage. I will keep the Alloy hardtail for a Famliy member or friend to tag along for a ride.

upload_2018-5-26_16-2-6.jpeg

Cheers :)