Haro werks DHR an Intense??

Rik

logged out
What's worse, being "lazy" and running with a proven perfomance design, or designing something different for the sake of it, and possibly arsing it up?

Red Rocket

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rik said:
What's worse, being "lazy" and running with a proven perfomance design, or designing something different for the sake of it, and possibly arsing it up?
I agree Rik, seriously people, all Haro are trying to do is sell better frames to the masses, and its nothing new as most of you would know, Avanti-Keewee,
Haro-Intense, Santa Cruz-some other company to make their v10's.

I think Its a real advantage for the customer as they are often in most cases buying a better frame than the company with its name on it could ever be able to produce.

roasted

Likes Bikes and Dirt
on that santa cruz-note, they are diferent, because they DESIGNED the frames, it is only built by Kinesis (who, incidentally, build mountain-cyle and Ellsworth frames.) the others are corect though.

I think it is a good thing though, as it allows some of the smaller companies their way into mass-production

dhd

Downhill Direct
Actually Kinesis have a big ass factory in the good ol' US of A that make a hell of a lot of frames. You can add Mountain Cycle to the list too.

6UL DV8

Likes Bikes
Sorry a bit off topic.

Is Kenesis now American owned? They're a Taiwanese based company arn't they? Don't they make a large majority of our frames in Taiwan?

udi

swiss cheese
AFAIK, Kinesis is taiwanese. It might be american owned but that means little. They make a hell of a lot of bikes for a lot of big name companies (mountain cycle, santa cruz, etc etc) and I don't think it should even matter these days.

It's a pretty worthless debate, and it's been gone over already, but to sum it up - Taiwan have come a long way in manufacturing (considering they do a WHOLE LOT of it in this day and age) and looking at brands like Specialized and their 100% robot-welded frames etc, I'd say a good taiwanese made frame would easily match or better something that's made in yank town.

As for the bike... if it's second hand, then once over the rearend very thoroughly - the chainstays and seatstays, as well as the horst-link pivot etc for CRACKS - because they are known to happen on M1's and other Intense horst-linked bikes (Tazer and Uzzi could only be in the same boat).

If that's good, then it should be good.

roasted

Likes Bikes and Dirt
there IS an american branchj of kinesis. It is them that make the high performance frames.

wombat

Lives in a hole
uDi said:
AFAIK, Kinesis is taiwanese. It might be american owned but that means little.
Roasted is right, there's factories in Taiwan and the states; I thought Intense frames are/were made up by Kinesis as well?

roasted

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was not aware of that. I thought they were done under Jeff Stebers supervision, in his own factory.

Ill check up on that.

edit: cant find. these are the only ones Im aware of though: Bianchi, Diamondback, GT, Mongoose, Peugeot, Raleigh, Santa Cruz, Schwinn, Specialized, Storck, Trek, Mountain cycle, ellswoth.

edit 2: "handcrafted in Temecula, California."

edit 3: that would be intense, and that is NOT where the kinesis factory is.

Last edited:

udi

swiss cheese
My bad.

my mc frame has this little sticker that says "hand welded in san-luis obispo, california" and i'm pretty sure the new 9.5's say the same thing.

so yeah it probably is in USA.

roasted - didn't know kinesis did specialized?! thought they were done in Giants factory?

Judging by that list of brands though, they have some pretty contrasting reputations (haha ellsworth..) so I guess it is in the design rather than who or where its welded.

S.

ex offender
uDi said:
My bad.

my mc frame has this little sticker that says "hand welded in san-luis obispo, california" and i'm pretty sure the new 9.5's say the same thing.

so yeah it probably is in USA.

roasted - didn't know kinesis did specialized?! thought they were done in Giants factory?

Judging by that list of brands though, they have some pretty contrasting reputations (haha ellsworth..) so I guess it is in the design rather than who or where its welded.
Merida owns/builds Specialized I think.

Ellsworths' construction detail is second to none IMO, it's the designs that are the problem, not the factory.

I'm fairly sure Intenses ARE made by Kinesis, I've seen it mentioned several times. AFAIK Intense's head office etc is in Temecula... they might do certain things there and have Kinesis handle the welding or something, who knows.

roasted

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I suppose, but they state on their website that thier frames are hand made in temecula.

you can even tour "their" facilty, so I am assuming that most, if not all of the work, is done there.

CHEWY

Eats Squid
Its not like it doesnt happen in any other industry..
Toyota rebadged the VN and up Commodores and called them a LEXCEN.
Ford rebadged the Mazda Bravo and called it a Courier.
Any cheap tools at your local Mitre 10 under the name "warrior" can be found at Supercheap called "supatool" (or something like that)
Produce more of anything and generally it gets cheaper to make, farm it out to 10 different companys, call it 10 different names and your in business..

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
From what i have read intense and santa cruz US made frames are being pumped out of the same factory. Santa Cruz frames are made by mountain cycle which is owned by Kinesis these days. So that would mean that intenses frames are being made by kinesis as well.

It makes sense, why would each company want to own a machine that can hydroform monoque tubing along with keeping a bunch of welders employed. That would be super expensive and silly option to take.

-Matt