harrietville

ridemtbsnow

Likes Bikes
Not really. Bright has Mystic and I built a DH trail off Apex a few years ago. Also check out the pines on the southern side of Porepunkah.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
is their anygood dh riding in harrietville?
The Bona Corde track down from Mt Hotham is awesome, pity you aren't allowed to ride it... Couple of little uphill bits along the way, but overall one of the longest descents you'll find in VIC. Just hit it when no rangers are looking and watch out for the odd walker, not that anyone walks it these days anyway....

To find the track put on a balaclava to conceal your identity and walk your bike along the razorback ridge towards Mt Feathertop for about 1km. Ignore evil looks from people with ski poles. Where the track branches take a left where it goes down down down. It's called the Bona Corde. At the very bottom effect stealth maneuvers to make sure there aren't any rangers waiting for you at the bottom.

It really annoys me how bikes aren't allowed on disused walking tracks like this. Why can't everyone enjoy the area?

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
The Bona Corde track down from Mt Hotham is awesome, pity you aren't allowed to ride it... Couple of little uphill bits along the way, but overall one of the longest descents you'll find in VIC. Just hit it when no rangers are looking and watch out for the odd walker, not that anyone walks it these days anyway....

To find the track put on a balaclava to conceal your identity and walk your bike along the razorback ridge towards Mt Feathertop for about 1km. Ignore evil looks from people with ski poles. Where the track branches take a left where it goes down down down. It's called the Bona Corde. At the very bottom effect stealth maneuvers to make sure there aren't any rangers waiting for you at the bottom.

It really annoys me how bikes aren't allowed on disused walking tracks like this. Why can't everyone enjoy the area?
Rather than riding illegally have you asked Parks vic about access? When i broached the subject of allowing MTB access in the alpine National park in a public consultation this was the one track they immediately mentioned so perhaps they will be open to it.

Plus if you are with a club why dont you try making a deal....for example you promise to clear the trail twice a year of fallen wood etc and they let you have access.......

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I'm not affiliated with a club, but if I lived in the area I would certainly try this approach. The track is quite overgrown, it needs maintenance and if bikers were able to help with this in return for being able to use it, that would be better for everyone.

martinpb

Likes Dirt
I'm not affiliated with a club, but if I lived in the area I would certainly try this approach. The track is quite overgrown, it needs maintenance and if bikers were able to help with this in return for being able to use it, that would be better for everyone.
my understanding is that's what happened with some of the stuff up in the North West - they asked to maintain something that was pretty much disused

Nautonier

Eats Squid
If that arrangement could be reached regarding the Bona Corde, we could potentially have one of the best DH tracks in Australia. All is it needs is some minor track work like adding in a few gaps, drops and step-downs - the steep and tech vertical is already there...

OT

Likes Dirt
Bon Accord

If that arrangement could be reached regarding the Bona Corde, we could potentially have one of the best DH tracks in Australia. All is it needs is some minor track work like adding in a few gaps, drops and step-downs - the steep and tech vertical is already there...
The Bon Accord track is over a hundred years old and was used to access Feather Top and Hotham before there was a road. Horses are allowed on it but not bikes. I think you might come up against a bit of opposition from locals and walking clubs if you tried to make it into a DH track!