Has anyone rode these????

brados20

Likes Dirt
Hey there. I'm new to this site and thought maybe you guys could give me some idea about a few bikes. I'm planning on racing next year, so I would like to get a proper DH rig to race. I currently ride a Norco 6 which is pretty fun and has handled the local tracks pretty good, but a full blown downhill bike is what I'm after. I don't have an unlimited budget :mad: so I have chosen a few bikes to suit my wallet.
The 07 Giant Glory DH looks like a pretty good bike. The spec is awesome, but I here that it is also pretty heavy.
The 07 Mongoose EC-DH looks ok to, but not to sure about its durability example, Pivots look small.
Finally the 08 Norco Atomik seems like a decent bike for the price. The spec is not the greatest though.
If anyone has ridden these bikes, or has any other suggestions for a bike around 5k, your help would be appreciated.
Thanks.;)

Andy!

Likes Dirt
Get a Kona Stab Deluxe when next years models are released and pick it up at reduced price as bike shops try to clear older stock to make room for new bikes, pick up quotes and take that quote to another bike shop and see if they will do a better deal on it for u, this can be done with most brands that are avaliable at various bike shops and arnt specific to particular shops. Hope any of that helps, Andy!

shiznik

Banned
Have a look around the downhill bikes section, sometimes there are some current model bikes in there that are practically new, sundays, etc.
A few great bargains, definately check it out.

jacko69

Likes Dirt
I can't comment on the Mongoose or Norco, but the Glory DH is a really smooth & forgiving ride.
Find yourselve a copy of AMB from Apr/May 06. It reviewed the 06 Glory DH & the Mongoose, and 2 others. I can't find it now, but I did have another magazine review that did the 07 Glory DH & also liked it.

Last edited:

Big_Al

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My first pick would be a Iron Horse sunday..

my mates are selling a ECDH and a COVE Peeler Team

Both great bikes for DH and a good price

stpFREEEK

Likes Dirt
I would go with an IH sunday expert (if u can handle the pink:p) or a 2008 Norco Atomik. I have ridden both. Only thing i can say after riding a glory is that they are big bikes and need some muscle to ride them compared to a sunday.

Sunday: rides light and quick, very nimble, but low to the ground

Norco atomik: fairly short, quite high, a nice freeride bike, and an awsome price

Glory: very nice ride and great value, they sort of plow through rocky sections which is nice but IMO dont quite handle the corners as well as a sunday.

my choices:
1. sunday
2. glory (only if you can handle a big bike)
3. Atomik

BLAKE-2234

Likes Bikes and Dirt
id go with the atomik as i own one and they are a farkin great bike what do you mean the spec isnt the greatest on the atomik you get boxxer races awesome fork, dhx3 which is exactly the same as the 5 just without boos valve, juicy 3 which in my opinion are exactly the same as juicy 5's and 7's, husselfelt cranks and bar stem which are a bit heavy but they are farkin strong aswell, the frame is the 07 dh frame and is the same frame they are using for all the 08 dh norco range, sun single tracks on axiom hubs which will last a bloody lifetime the hubs anyway, sram x7 deralier (sp) which is great (why have an expensive deralieur(sp) when you have to buy a new one everytime you break it) and you get all that at a killer price so i cant see any reasons not to buy the 2008 norco atomik i dont know why people talk down on them they obviously havent ridden one

my second pic would be the ecd my mate has one and they are also a great bike, then the sunday or the ih kumitch both top bikes then i would go the glory if you can handle a bigger bike

cheers

Mr Sheen

Likes Dirt
, husselfelt cranks and bar stem which are a bit heavy but they are farkin strong aswell,

cheers
Hussefelt cranks are far from strong:rolleyes:

Nothing against the atomik as it looks like awsome value but there are many parts that are far from top shelf. Iv seen 07 team dh's advertised for under 6k so thats were i'd be looking.

Last edited:

Bowlo

Eats Squid
Glory fosure! I have ridden my mates several times and I would have one over a Sunday or Norco anyday!

DHdog

Likes Dirt
Thats a simple one brad, the Glory.
I have rode the atomik several times and have owned a EC-DH, and now ride a Glory, well sort of.
Im probably going to sell it due to never getting a chance to ride it.

The EC felt heavier than the glory when riding and was harder to turn in the tight stuff and is no where near as nice over the big stuff/drops/big rock gardens etc etc.

The one benefit the EC-DH had over the other two bikes is that it pedals alot better, thats the only thing.

DHdog

Likes Dirt
id go with the atomik as i own one and they are a farkin great bike what do you mean the spec isnt the greatest on the atomik you get boxxer races awesome fork, dhx3 which is exactly the same as the 5 just without boos valve, juicy 3 which in my opinion are exactly the same as juicy 5's and 7's, husselfelt cranks and bar stem which are a bit heavy but they are farkin strong aswell, the frame is the 07 dh frame and is the same frame they are using for all the 08 dh norco range, sun single tracks on axiom hubs which will last a bloody lifetime the hubs anyway, sram x7 deralier (sp) which is great (why have an expensive deralieur(sp) when you have to buy a new one everytime you break it) and you get all that at a killer price so i cant see any reasons not to buy the 2008 norco atomik i dont know why people talk down on them they obviously havent ridden one

my second pic would be the ecd my mate has one and they are also a great bike, then the sunday or the ih kumitch both top bikes then i would go the glory if you can handle a bigger bike

cheers
I missed this one!

Mate, you have got to be kidding yourself, get off the drugs and get an idea. PLEASE

Unlearn

Likes Dirt
The Atomics are made of old railway tracks arent they?

I must say they are a decent machine for the coin, but for similar coin theres the Yakuza, if i had a choice between the two id definately go the Yakuza.

Other than that the Kona Stab, Giant Glory, Sundays are all good. Theres plenty of bikes out there and at the end of the day it will probably come down to your personal choice.

MountainBikeMike

Likes Dirt
I ride a Glory 07 and theres absolutely nothing wrong with it after small realy minor changes... that being: -Get rid of the downhill tubes (unless you realy realy need them. ie. trail known for flats). They come with 2.5/2.7 Kenda downhill tubes which weigh 460 grams each, I halved my tube weight exactly by changing to a 1.75 front and 2.1 standard tubes. They work fine.
-It comes with a carbon seat with Ti rails. I changed the seat to a stronger one because my mate bent his.
-The wheelset is fairly heavy, maybe change the front wheel. I will be running a SingleTrack front because it is heaps lighter and I dont need that extra strength where I spend most of my riding.

Glory:
Pros: -Fairly low bottom bracket, even for a long travel bike. Makes it realy stable at high or low speed.
-Considering you want to go faster, the 8.8 inches of travel will be enough for any track, no need for V-10s in my opinion, at least not is Aus.
-With pro-pedal turned on max, the suspension is still VERY active! It also pedals fairly well, just not as well as the ECD. The bike actualy feels very front high, so it may feel cramped unless you get a large, I'm 6.2' and its a bit cramped, my mate using a large sprints forward a bit so a large suits him better.
-Weight is centered and low in the frame. The main weight of the bike, like the older Giant DH, is centered and low in the frame where you have the shock, linkages and forward drivetrain components. The frame is heavy here as well. You can see on the left side of the frame the attention to detail with physics that Giant has used. They made it very balanced. All this weight centering means it is very stable at all speeds! Just try it, even laying the bike over around a flat corner, on or off road.
-Spec list. Bike would cost nearly $10k to build up in parts for retail price. It is a very cheap bike, especialy coming with Fox 40RC2's.

Cons: -Higher weight than other bikes, from the box it was 21.5kg, I think ECD is about 17.5-8kg but it isn't as stiff, the Sunday WC is about 19kg and its as good or better than the Glory. But as I mentioned the weight is centered and low
-Upright bike. Only suited to downhill, so steep trails. Very slack head angle

I dont recommend the Kona's because they are more designed for freeriders, with very bulky frames. I also think only the top of the line Norco's are worth it.

The Glory is running everything you need, you cant do any better on spec, its ready to race. Just take off some weight. I swapped tubes, front wheel, tires, bars, stem, saddle. That has it down to around 19.5kg

Last edited:

DeeMax

Likes Dirt
If you have the money id say buy the Glory and get a Santacruz frame and build that it will turn out nice actually. Depending on some part changes the complete Santa Cruz with the glory build should last and be reasonably light.

EDIT: Then sell the Glory frame brand new on farkin? Should get a good price on here, i saw one go for $2000 in like 4.3sec.

Last edited:

CraigS

Likes Dirt
I would look at Sunday Elite $3000 or Kona Stab Deluxe for $3850 at The Bike Shed mortdale online. This price includes delivery anywhere in Aust. I have been told the Glory is very heavy too as I was eying one off a few months ago. There is an 07 model Glory for $4100 brand new at a LBS in Campbelltown which I think is a good price.

jmeers

Likes Dirt
glory

Things to change on the Glory well i did anyway , bars & stem changed to pro tapers & easton stem , wheels changed to deemax tubeless maxxis minnion on them. Its now around 18.5kgs not to bad

nedz33

Likes Dirt
well the glorys are so beefy, you just kinda have to choose yourself....
theyve all got the kinda same spec, just a bit changed

sunday- 888's, sweet colour, light

glory- fox 40's,hardcore, heavy

kona- 888's , roco wc rear shock, but a bit more unreliable ....

you choose, test ride them all, get to feel them then, choose one that suits you.