Have the weather gods finally frowned on the fling ?

notime

Likes Dirt
Mud. Sand. Grit. Drivetrain.

Bring it on. A little bit of water won't change anything for me - we are riding MTBs after all!
I agree!!

The only thing I might change is new brake pads for the start and different chain lube.

Hornsby

Likes Dirt
Bring it on just like the following previous races I've done
Mont 2001 & 2005
Capital Punishment 2010

A great way to bed in my nice new XT disc brakes!!
Change the chain lube and take some with you and relube when you stop at the feed stations, I did this on the CP and i had no drivetrain problems all race so I could pedal but stopping was a problem.

HerdingCats

Likes Dirt
So I figure there's not much flingers can prepare for given the predicted rain. Most of the track should drain well (it's been dry for a wee while in the region) while those parts that get boggy will be really boggy by the time us back markers get through (I'm thinking Sherwood Forest outbound and Roller Coaster inbound).

All part of the adventure of mountain biking. Looking forward to it.

Jubas

Likes Dirt
Roller Coaster will be really, really fun in the mud - those sweeping bends through dips will be great :)

First year in ages that I won't be racing unfortunately.. damn injuries!

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I read on another forum that he rode round the level crossing barrier at Wingello when a train was going past.

Not sure if it is true.

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
Train had passed but warning signals on the crossing hadn't stopped yet, that is what I heard from one of the top elite males.

In the end the weather was a lot better than it could have been, no rain before the race but we (non-elite full flingers) started in a very cold highland drizzle which had people shivering at the start line. The track conditions were mainly good, dry and loose in places only getting damp towards in the end when the rain was picking up into proper rain showers and the half flingers had already been through as well. But still no real mud, just slippery roots and rocks and the odd bit of squelch.

Stayed cold the whole day, my Garmin read an average of less than 11 degrees for the whole race, creeks were as deep as normal despite dry weather before hand. Drizzle made it impossible to see through glasses and everything got coated in sandy grit. Tough day to stay motivated, props to 100 milers especially the one and only girl who battled on and finished despite the rain getting a lot heavier after lunch while she was still on course.

Course had a few changes on last year, mainly in the middle stage but roughly the same distance. A few bits of extra single track too :)

Big shout out to the The Fling crew for the usual awesome event, despite the weather we had heaps of support on course from guitar playing groups in the back of truck to singers sheltering in harmony under a marquee. The post race feed was AWESOME, getting a hot fresh burger from the school tent was greatly welcomed - YUM, much preferred over the meals the past two years.

My only complaint: 4pm is way too late for presentations for a Sunday race, especially for those of us with a long drive home. But at least reduced numbers meant an indoor preso ceremony was possible.

EXTRA BIG THANKS: to the local RFS, who despite the time and effort they have spent in the past few weeks fighting fires... they were out there in rain jackets supporting us!

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I really enjoyed my second Fling, I think a bit of cold and rain is better than searing heat. Was freezing at the start and took a while for my hands to warm up. I thought the course was in great shape for the first 2 laps, in fact in some places it was completely chalk dust dry.

The last loop things got a bit more tricky, slippery rocks and roots combining with tiredness. Still fun though.

Thanks to all volunteers, couldn't have been all that pleasant standing outside all day in the wind and rain. And thanks to the bike mechanics too, I had a frayed RD cable that was fixed on the morning in about 5mins and it worked flawlessly all day.

frensham

Likes Dirt
Yep another well run and attended Fling. Nice change, in my opinion, for rain an cold... I really enjoyed the atmospheric conditions. I was surprised that the trails were so dry for the most part but I do agree the rocky, tight single track on the third stage was getting slippery. I enjoyed the new extra single track and was really happy that the main creek crossing was only thigh deep this year. I was able to pull the knicks up and able to ride off with only wet feet (last year waste deep).
I can only imagine there were three people at presentations? waited and waited but the conditions got the best of me and I left at 3:30, a quick look around saw only the diehards and those waiting for friends to finish. Can't really understand the expectation for the Half Fling winners to hang around for over five and the full Flingers for more than four hours. Not sure why there can't be separate presentations as the day rolls on.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
EXTRA BIG THANKS: to the local RFS, who despite the time and effort they have spent in the past few weeks fighting fires... they were out there in rain jackets supporting us!
Absolutely! I made sure to thank each & every volunteer when I rode past. Bloody awesome effort from them.

HerdingCats

Likes Dirt
A ripper event, there's always something special about the fling each year.

Given the beaut weather on Saturday arvo, we were convinced the BOM got it all wrong … however, by 9 pm, it was clear Sunday was going to be wet. Still, as pointed out in other posts, the track weathered it really well, much of it well drained. Indeed many parts were remarkably dry. At one section on Outer Limits I lost traction on a pinch due to the fine dirt - not a hint of moisture.

There were less riders on the full fling than previous years. The sniggle was much clearer this time round which made Boundary Rider and Roller Coaster much more straightforward to complete.

Again, as mentioned, the volunteers were great - all credit to them.

Food, Water, Rain Jackets
I trialled running two bottles this year instead of a camel bak. Worked a treat, as did GU flasks instead of phaffing around with gel wrappers on the course. I wasn't so happy with my rain jacket. I took the sleeves off at the first transition, which helped a bit with cooling/moisture, but it was far from ideal. I'll give it a bit more thought for the next Fling.

Triffic race.

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
A
Food, Water, Rain Jackets
I trialled running two bottles this year instead of a camel bak. Worked a treat, as did GU flasks instead of phaffing around with gel wrappers on the course. I wasn't so happy with my rain jacket. I took the sleeves off at the first transition, which helped a bit with cooling/moisture, but it was far from ideal. I'll give it a bit more thought for the next Fling.

Triffic race.
It got too cold and my GU wouldn't leave my flask without some serious suction effort which made me light headed, so I swapped to individual GUs at the oval. The GU flowed fine when I was packing in 35 degree heat in Newcastle :-/. The jacket stayed taped to my top tube the whole race, I raced in arm warmers, knee warmers and had a wool singlet under my jersey. Without the jacket rule I probably would have carried a vest rather than a jacket, jackets are always too hot to ride in but I get their point about safety.