Have the weather gods finally frowned on the fling ?

Jubas

Likes Dirt
Food, Water, Rain Jackets
I trialled running two bottles this year instead of a camel bak. Worked a treat,.
Were you just carrying the second bottle in the back of your jersey? Or were you on a hardtail and therefore had a spot in the frame? Toying with the idea of a bottle in the jersey..

JonnyH

Likes Bikes
Were you just carrying the second bottle in the back of your jersey? Or were you on a hardtail and therefore had a spot in the frame? Toying with the idea of a bottle in the jersey..
I ran with a bottle on the frame and one in my jersey. The jersey pocket is actually easier to use than the bottle cage!
This was my first race without a camelback - I'm a convert now, love riding without one. However for rough or technical trails the pack is still easier to use

Jonny

HerdingCats

Likes Dirt
I'm on a Ritchey P-29er (HT), with two cages. Actually it was quite liberating - I could vary water / GU brew while riding and it saved a truckload of time in transition.

I did see a couple of riders with bottles in their middle jersey pocket. It looked very uncomfortable.

HerdingCats

Likes Dirt
It got too cold and my GU wouldn't leave my flask without some serious suction effort which made me light headed, so I swapped to individual GUs at the oval. The GU flowed fine when I was packing in 35 degree heat in Newcastle :-/. The jacket stayed taped to my top tube the whole race, I raced in arm warmers, knee warmers and had a wool singlet under my jersey. Without the jacket rule I probably would have carried a vest rather than a jacket, jackets are always too hot to ride in but I get their point about safety.
He he, now you mention it, the GU was difficult to get out, but eventually it did.

Thanks for the feedback on the warmers and under jersey. With hindsight, this is a much more sensible approach.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
For those big rides, I use those soft plastic flasks you get from camping stores, hold about the same and can be stuffed down a pocket when finished. Only downside is the screw cap, so you have to be on smooth section and drink half, screw lid back on etc. not sure it would make a big difference in 11 degrees.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have flinged 5 times now, two half and three full I've also done dirt works/convict 100 each year since 2008. Worst weather conditions to ride in for any event I've been in by far, but the track was not bad at all, hardly wet for most of it. Great event again and will be back, the kids will make sure of that after entering in the kids fling and skills clinic and having a great time.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I did the half but found the conditions not really a factor other than before and after the ride. Was shivering badly getting changed into dry clothes at the finish. was a bit surprised I was only 10 minutes faster than last year as I was cramping badly then and finished pretty well this year. Maybe the damp track made some difference after all.
I camped out this year, the town does make for a nice atmosphere for the weekend. and far better than driving down too early on the day.