Hayes Cable brakes

fat_tyre_nick

Likes Dirt
hey guys
On my last 2 bikes i have had the same hayes cable brake but with small differences and had heaps of problems, i was just wondering whether anyone else out there has had problems with theres?

notb4dinner

Likes Dirt
I've been using Haye's cables for a few years and despite theire problems they can work pretty well. The most important thing I've found is to get the fixed pad (the pad closest to the wheel) as close as possible to the rotor. If you can get that sorted without excessive rubbing you should be sweet.

konasaurus

Likes Dirt
On a bike i had back in the day i was running 1 hfx9 and 1 hayes mechanical and imo the mechanical worked better ..... less problems leaving it alot more reliable.

neko

Likes Dirt
My front HMX1 works better than my xsiv, xt copy hydro rear brake.
And yeah, Hayes brakes are shit. That's why everyone uses them.

For my money it's LX discs. There's always Hone if you prefer. Same components but in dark grey with a more MADCORE marketing slant.

lachy

Likes Dirt
i had hays mechs on my norco 125 and the only problem i had with them was i couldnt one finger them. doing dh runs i had to use like 3 fingers to control my speed and the got cramps in my hands.lol

also at the end of dh runs they just stoped working for a while.(i think they got too hot or something.)

my mate has a avid mech brake with a 8 inch rotor and that works really well.