Hayes Disc Rub

wombat

Lives in a hole
Grip said:
AND I'M A BLOODY DICK HEAD!!!!!! The word is "ROTOR" and yet for some reason (and I'm going to blame exhaustion here) I was seeing j5ive trying to bend his CALIPER into position with his thumbs.

Jesus-tap-dancing-Christ! But at least you've got to admit there REALLY would be something wrong if he could bend his caliper with his thumbs.
Hahaha, yes if he could move the caliper there would definately be an issue.....and I wouldn't stress, at least you manage to get your replies in the right thread..... :oops:

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had the same prob on my 03 stinky. It was worse at the front than rear due to the caliper mount not bolting square onto the forks. I filed the edge off the adaptor around the lower bolt hole cause theres a radius in the casting of the fork there which stops the adaptor bolting up flat to the tabs. I still had drag probs but they were a bit better after that and continue to improve with wear.

My front rotor also had a woof in it, but a bit of thumb pressure and 5 minutes fixed that.

phreeky

Likes Bikes
i have an 03 stinky and my front disk rubs all the time and if you look at the caliper it's not square on the mounts so my lbs has some tool to fix the prob they say it should be better but 8" rotors will allways rub a bit when they get hot

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
check with your lbs if they have a facing tool.
if they do get them to square them up, and then shim them out properly.
that will save a lot of the problems, and improve your braking heaps as well.

juzza

Likes Dirt
What you should do is loosen the caliper from its mount( not so its off, but is loose). Then once the pads are still between the rotor, grab the lever on pretty firmly and re-tighten the bolts to the caliper mount whilst holding the lever. It may still rub but shouldnt as this is the only way to perfectly allign disc brakes. The pads automatically position themselves every time you brake, so after there is no rub . If it still rubs then you may have a slightly warped rotor.

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
juzza said:
What you should do is loosen the caliper from its mount( not so its off, but is loose). Then once the pads are still between the rotor, grab the lever on pretty firmly and re-tighten the bolts to the caliper mount whilst holding the lever. It may still rub but shouldnt as this is the only way to perfectly allign disc brakes. The pads automatically position themselves every time you brake, so after there is no rub . If it still rubs then you may have a slightly warped rotor.
to get the best alignment, do this, but with the brake on, fit shims into the gap between the caliper and the mount. then when you let the brake off the pads will move out evenly.

wombat

Lives in a hole
lupine128 said:
juzza said:
to get the best alignment, do this, but with the brake on, fit shims into the gap between the caliper and the mount. then when you let the brake off the pads will move out evenly.
Unless of course you're running a spherical washer mounting set up, in which case there isn't much need for the shims.

phreeky

Likes Bikes
just got mine back from my lbs they have a facing tool for the mounts on the fork they put them on the tool and then shimed them
they are now perfect no rubbing at all even after long runs when rubbing was the norm
and the lever has a much better feel now to its much easier to feather the brakes