Hayes HFX Mag Disks or Shimano XT Disks I need HELP

shan75

Likes Dirt
I am in the process of getting a new bike and will be upgrading the brakes (the new Giant AC1 comes with crappy Hayes HFX9 with 8" rotors) that I have had bad luck with in the past.

I am going to upgrade to either Shimano XT with 8" or the Hayes HFX Mag with 8". What are your opinions. I have heard that the Hayes drag a lot and have crappy paint, also the rotors bend easy. Apart from that they are pretty cool.

The shimanos on the other hand I have been told that they drop pads, the pads wear out really quikly and that you have to use different pad compounds in the wet.

They will be going on an AC1 with 8" rotors and I will be using it for trail riding/Freeride and a bit of downhill. All your comments are appreciated.

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
the XT, grimeca, and xsiv pad reatining system is really good. just make sure you put the clip on the end of the reatining bolt properly.
as far as the rotors bending, any 8 inch rotor is easy to bens, and will bend and warp under normal DH use.
the XT and hayes both.
the xt is a four pot system, and if properly set up, CAN have less drag and drag than a hayes, but you have to be carefull with set up.
any disc brake will drag if you just stick them on and ignore them. keep them maintained and all of them are problem free.
as far as which is best, the answer is really neither. both a re a good quality, strong, reliable brake, and if you do the maionmtainance you won't ever have a problem with either.
but do you really need to upgrade the originals?
what was the problem you hade with the last set?
i know of very few people who have problems with any hayes hydro, if it was correctly set-up, bled, and maintained.

shan75

Likes Dirt
I had a set of HFX9s on my NRS and whilst on a ride (no crash) the plastic push in plug that holds the fluid in the resevoir fell out. Resulting in instantanious fluid loss and total brake failure. 4 Km down the road the other fell out. I have no cofidence in them at all. The Mag however has a screwed in plug (no worries). I swapped them for an old set of compisite bodied Hayes Comp and apart from the lever flexing ran relatively trouble free. Bearing in mind it was all XC use and I am now wanting to expand my MTB horizons.

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
if you are really worried about the plugs, speak to the shop about a fix, and they will come up with some ideas for you. that way you get the best of both worlds. confidence that the plugs won't drop out, and $500 in your pocket.

naz

Criminally Inane
hey i got XT's wit 8 inch rotors n damn there strong as hell had them for over a year..rotors straight as the day i got them, power is unquestionable...some ppl say theres no modulation but i like it n it makes the brake feel better coz u only have to feather the lever, it just takes gettin used to, one drawback is the brakelines they cauz havoc on paint, if ur buyin them new dont get the shimano lines get some aftermarket braided lines wit plastic cover.....
i have never dropped a pad, n ive lost both my pins that hold the pads in just do the bolt up a bit tighter, n the pad life was a year, n needin a different compound in the wet i dont think so i had as much power in the wet!

Rik

logged out
The resin lines that the deore brakes use are the best for XT's, as there is minimal line expansion compared to the braided stainless lines. That said, braided looks cool 8)

I'm running XT's, and they're yet to break in fully, but they feel pretty good already, and everyone I've spoken to reckons that once they break in (which can take a while) they stop like all buggery.

shan75

Likes Dirt
Thanks fo all the relys. am still unsureas to which way to go. Are there any ther systems I hould consider as well.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Well I've got comps (same caliper as the mags, but with a composite lever body) and I love them (well I did till I tried that cleaner! :x ). From the little time I've spent on XT's, it seemed as though they weren't half as "snappy" as the Hayes. I've heard a lot of people complaining about hayes having poor modulation, but I haven't had any problems. Then again I like a grabby brake, so maybe it's just me.

Personally I'd go the mags though, despite that the paint does tend to flake a bit.

dillon

Likes Dirt
Hey Shannon, rode with you at Karawatha.

Sounds like you should see how you go with this set of Hayes and change them if required down the track. Having said that, I love the spec of the XT's and would get a pair if I needed to. Purely for the fact they have a 4-piston caliper and are only US$99 at the moment.

SpectRe

Likes Dirt
Last time i checked, the $99 per end XT brakes from the states didnt include hoses...i cbf checking right now - so anyone want to clarify? lol
(Im currently running 8" XT's front and rear, and despite total pad contamination on the front -due to my carelessness while bleeding- the power still scares me when it gets a bit muddy and the front brake gets a bit of bite back :))

bighitter

Likes Bikes and Dirt
apparently the old style xt discs are no longer available at Jenson, because they are unable to get anymore stock and the new design xt 1 piece calipers and dual control levers have been released.