Hayes HFX Mag or HFX 9

Richard A...

Likes Bikes
Just curious as to wether there is any performance difference between Hayes HFX Mag 8" and the HFX 9 8" hydro's ? I need to order a set in a couple of weeks and am tossing up between the mag's or getting the 9's with some goodridge hoses and a bit of spare cash :?:

shan75

Likes Dirt
Go the Mags. I have ridden both and the MAG is a betterbrake. The Lever Flexes less and it has a screwed in resevoir plug. The HFX-9s have only a push in plug that I have personally had come out whilst riding (no crash) resulting in istant fluid loss and catastrophic brake failure causing CRASH. Whils the work well I wouldn't trust them again. I am in the process of getting a new bike and it comes with the HFX-9s I am upgrading them when I but it to the MAGS. By the way the new Hayes Carbon levers feel better than any brake lever I have ever tried. They also stop the sloppy levers we all know hayes are famous for. (only makes a noise)

Richard A...

Likes Bikes
Is there any way of securing the push in plug :?: and has anyone put goodridge hoses on their existing brakes and noticed a difference (a worth while one, not just the looks) :D

S.

ex offender
Richard A... said:
Is there any way of securing the push in plug :?: and has anyone put goodridge hoses on their existing brakes and noticed a difference (a worth while one, not just the looks) :D
I read the other day from a guy on the hcor.net forums that he had put some on, reckoned they made the brakes feel better than before. However, that's second hand information, so take it as such.

j5ive

Jonny Sprockets Bike Shop
may have been because he had to rebleed post cable change ;)

I have hfx9s, and they are ok. But I'd go a better brake if I could, little things about them piss me off. Like they always feel different for me, as in performance varries- maybe its just me but the mags I used to have were more reliable and constant in their feel.

j5ive

Jonny Sprockets Bike Shop
Also- mine ALWAYS vibrate out of reach adjustment. Tried a could of things but not much works. I think its because the little reach bolts are smaller with a bigger (looser) thread than on the mags if that makes sence.

But I do really like the leaver shape, smooth.

bassmonkey

Likes Dirt
j5ive said:
Also- mine ALWAYS vibrate out of reach adjustment. Tried a could of things but not much works.
I have the same problem with my front brake. Have you tried loosening the reach adjustment screw right off then putting a little loctite on the thread, then adjusting it to where you like it?

Dirt Devil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Richard A... said:
I haven't put a Goodridge line on my MTB but I recently installed one on the front of my dirt bike. It did give it a slightly firmer feel at the lever and the front brake feels a bit more powerful now. It wasn't really a big change, just a small improvement.

RCOH

Eats Squid
if you want to keep the reservoir plug in on HFX-9's, use gaf. Mine came out while riding, causing instant failure, ended up having to replce rear caliper as a result. Gaf looks ghetto but works well.

Glenn

Likes Dirt
dont know if it helps but i just ordered a shit load of stuff from jensonusa.com i got hayes HFX-mag with 8 inch rotors (came with bleed kit and all the regular stuff) for both ends it cost me $300 USA thats like $425 bucks Austrlaian FOR BOTH ENDS, funny considering i got quoted "$1100" for both ends! But be carfull if you do want to buy overseas cause i orded a lot of stuff so when i got hit with the inport tax it could be justified, plus the shiping cost. just an idea on what i saved i spent $1400 including parts, shiping and inport tax and still managed to save $1000 bucks on what it would of cost me in Australia.