Hayes Nine pad problems...

madboy

Likes Dirt
Well I'm after some help...

The story goes like this,

I've sold a set of Hayes Nine brakes to a mate and ever since he's been using them they've been horrible. The pads wont grip the rotor and when you pull in the lever you get a horrible "SCREEECH" noise. But the thing I don't understand is when I was using them, They worked fine with no problems but since he's been using them, All they've done is not work at all.

We've cleaned the Pads and Rotor with Metho and they seem to work once we do this but over night they seem to go back to their original state of shit.

All we really need is a fix for the brakes without up-grading.

Can someone please help me as It's giving me and him the shits.

Cheers

Last edited:

sockman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Try lightly sanding the pads. If they still don't work, it sounds like they are contaminated and need replacing.:(

gpang

Likes Bikes
hmmm, if the pads dont seem to be grabbing the rotor to well, have you had a good look to see if the pads have maximum contact with the rotor, you might have put the adapters on the back to front or the front adapter on the rear and so forth. or you cud give a light sanding and re-mething the rotor a go, to get rid of any stubborn contaminents.

DownhillerDeano

Doesn't want a custom title!
And should no emery (sand) paper be available to you, a nice FLAT piece of concrete, garage fllor, house slab etc, will suffice and just rub off the shit. From what you've described, by the squealing, the pad's (assuming they are hayes) have glazed over. Perhaps chuck some EBC red's in there and you be skidding again in no time:p

I've heard of boiling pads but never cleaning pads with metho? Each to their own I guess.

Have you both got the same size/type of rotors?