hdmi cables

scuba05

Likes Dirt
Gday guys.
Just purchased a 40" Sony LED TV, and because im upgrading from an older rear projection tv, im needing new cabling. I have to connect a dvd player, PVR, PS3, and on the odd occasion a laptop (which does have HDMI connection).

So my question,
Is it worth spending a shiet load of money on cables? I mean, yes there may be small differences in the purity of copper etc. but is it really noticable? I can pick up some cables from jaycar http://jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=WQ7414&keywords=hdmi+cable&form=KEYWORD quite cheap, which are 99.99% pure, but is it worth going and spending a lil bit extra and go to jb hifi or such and spending $50+ per cable?
Would it be more noticeable on some on some things than others, like the PS3 or laptop?

Any help on the matter?
Cheers guys

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
Unless your going super duper high end audio, no, you will not notice the difference and don't need to buy hundred dollar cables. I bought panasonic cables for 50 bucks, they are more than enough for your average punter.

Don't know about those Jaycar ones but if you have to hook up a whole bunch of things they might be a good option.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok, well ive heard it enough times to actually warrant a google search, but people are pretty quick to say that for a digital signal quality doesnt matter. Will report back later after some reading some internet speculation of AV forums..

wombat

Lives in a hole
Ok, well ive heard it enough times to actually warrant a google search, but people are pretty quick to say that for a digital signal quality doesnt matter. Will report back later after some reading some internet speculation of AV forums..
Pretty much the conclusion I came to as well. So long as it's physically sound, meets the standard you need, and you're not doing huge runs, buy the cheapest thing you can.

I picked up some cables from www.ezyhd.com.au and whilst they're very pretty, when I needed another I just got a real cheapy, seems to do ezxactly the same job.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok from what ive gathered (briefly), It doesnt matter for distances less than ~8m. Buut if your buying cheap and nasty, make sure you get right version, the latest that is compatible with both the devices.

nskz

Likes Dirt
HDMI cables are one of the biggest scams going in my opinion, when I bought my TV they fed me some bullshit about how I needed $200 cables or the whole point of buying a high end tv would be rendered pointless. I actually had the guy try and pass off a _component_ cable display (the ones where a tv is divided in two, one half of the screen the 'good cable' the other half the 'crap cable') as an indication of the difference in HDMI cable quality.

In terms of picture quality of the cable means absolutely 0, ZERO! Don't fall for the gold plated copper jizzed malarkey, it's just that, total bulldust. It's a digital signal, simply 1's and 0's. You either get it or you don't at the tv end, there can be no deterioration of the picture through the 'lower quality cables'. The only case where it can be an issue is if you are running long runs of cable (rare), where the cheaper ones tend to have a higher signal losses which can lead to picture corruption like when you have bad digital tv reception. Anything < 3m you should have no issues whatsoever.

Now with that said there are a few standards when it comes to HDMI cables as they are not all the same in terms of what type of audio/video they carry. If you look at the link below you will see the standards listed (1.1, 1.1a etc) and what they handle. Most cables sold these days, even the cheap ones are 1.3 from my experience so you really have little to worry about. The ones you link from Jaycar are 1.3 so you are sweet.

So in summary, buy the Jaycar cables, and laugh at the idots at JB/HN.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

Last edited:

Babau

Squid
Digital - Doesn't matter at all. Get the cheapest thing you can that won't actually fall apart.

Analog - Matters a little bit, but don't spend $200 unless you have a neckbeard.

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
Cables are the sort of thing you should try and get the guy who sells you the tv to throw in or otherwise heavily discount - the markup on them is insane.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Cables are the sort of thing you should try and get the guy who sells you the tv to throw in or otherwise heavily discount - the markup on them is insane.
Screw that, when I bought my PVR I asked if they (JB) could match another store's price, and the bloke's response was "well, how about instead I give you a price that's $80 higher, and throw in a cable valued at $150"...and actually worth closer to $15.
They must be a great way to supplement profits on lower margin goods. Personally though I'd rather just take a cheaper price, and buy my own cable from somewhere that doesn't have blimp style pricing.

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt
Get some cheap ones off ebay. Stores markup cables like crazy.

+1 Its how they maintain margin on sales....

I remember reading a series of tests done by an elec engineer on attenuation and quality of your $300Monster cables and the $5 el cheapo... net result was the Monster cables are a complete rip off

scblack

Leucocholic
Its now been said many times, HDMI cable does NOT need to be expensive. Cheaper cables do the same job.

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mayswell back it up to, cheap ftw. I got all mine from a mates computer shop, I get them ridic cheap but I'd recommend checking that out (as in, a computer shop). JB and Hardly Normal etc mark them up HUGE, that's why they can offer them to you at half price when you buy a tv, and still make money.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well not exactly HDMI, but related...

A certain (stupid) PS3 game only supports dolby digital, but I prefer to run DTS when I can - So I have both options checked on the PS3 settings, but sometimes mid-game it tries to force it run DTS which causes sound to cut out...Most frustratingly....Spent an hour playing with all the cables and trying alternative wiring, but turns out it was a software issue with the game...... Now I just have to remember to go into the settings and turn on DTS when I want to watch a movie, etc

scuba05

Likes Dirt
cheers for the hasty replies.

I guess i will go with what you are all saying, and buy the el cheapo ones.
I mean, at the end of the day, copper is copper. It is a conductor of electricity, and will thus carry the signal from A to B without too much attenuation. I aint running thousands of $$$ of equipment, so a lil quality loss i can cope with.
Shit anything is better than the old CRT piece of shit im running at the moment, with the good old flaring on the red's. useless.

Going a bit 'green' buy buying the LED as well, massive power savings.

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
as said on previous page, get onto evil bay they have hdmi cables from 99c and you usally get them for that much, and postage is always about the $2-$3 ive got all of mine from ebay and have been working a treat for the past 4 years, also got a DVI-D to HDMI cable so i could connect my pc to my LCD in the lounge

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
cheers for the hasty replies.

I guess i will go with what you are all saying, and buy the el cheapo ones.
I mean, at the end of the day, copper is copper. It is a conductor of electricity, and will thus carry the signal from A to B without too much attenuation. I aint running thousands of $$$ of equipment, so a lil quality loss i can cope with.
Shit anything is better than the old CRT piece of shit im running at the moment, with the good old flaring on the red's. useless.

Going a bit 'green' buy buying the LED as well, massive power savings.
+1 to what everyone is saying.

You will get exactly the same quality between a $5 Hdmi cable and a $500 cable. It's all digital. An expensive cable will help on long distances when the signal can't be thrown as far but as long as the 1's and 0's make it from device to device, the quality is not reliant on cables AT ALL. (in theory anyway)

Oh, and enjoy the TV. CRT to LED is an insane step up! play some movies like transformers on Blu-ray and you'll be blown away.