head set question

Mrlinderman

Likes Dirt
I'm guessing you want a straight steerer headset as you already have a fork that is 1 1/8" straight?

Steel frames are external cups so you can use a variety of steerer types inc tapered, just depends on the headset you choose.

moorey

call me Mia
I'm guessing you want a straight steerer headset as you already have a fork that is 1 1/8" straight?

Steel frames are external cups so you can use a variety of steerer types inc tapered, just depends on the headset you choose.
Yes, but most frames designed for a straight steerer fork have a small head tube that only takes a 1 1/8 steerer. 44mm head tube will tale straight, tapered or 1.5" fork with the right headset.The 44mm HT will ude internal cups for a 1 1/8 fork, external bottom for a tapered, and external top and bottom for a 1.5" fork.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I have recently purchased a Cotic Solaris, http://www.cotic.co.uk/product/solaris#compatibility

I need to buy a headset that will be compatible with a straight steerer fork, the specs on the Cotic website say that I need to use a headset with a 44 cup? I have no idea what head set I need to buy.

Thanks,
Depending on your flavour, got to:
- LBS and ask for a headset with a 44mm OD to suit 1 1/8 fork. Almost guarantee they will order it in, charge full retail, and probably the shipping fee as well. Also highly likely they won't know what you're after.
- Go to CRC and trawl through their headsets, reading the descriptions carefully. Look for a headset with a 44mm OD to suit 1 1/8 fork. it will be cheap, but how long do you want to wait?
- Contact domestic online retailer (they are all great in their own way) and ask them for same as above. It will be fast, a good price, and you'll probably only need to send 3 emails to get it sorted.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Where are you? I might have a Cane Ck lower that will fit, just need to check the OD. It was used in my Yeti to run a straight steerer for a while.

sunmonkee

Likes Bikes
Where are you? I might have a Cane Ck lower that will fit, just need to check the OD. It was used in my Yeti to run a straight steerer for a while.
I am in Adelaide.

I have contacted Cotic, who will for the correct one for me. It's bloody confusing trying to keep up with the different sizes and standards for ,MTB.