Head set stack height problem vs short steerer length of fork

kgunzer

Likes Dirt
Hi guys!

I need to figure out how to get the most of the available steerer I got left on my fork. The current set up is using a Token head set and it is secured by a Rock Shox TurnCoat. The Spank TwoTimer stem barely have enough steerer to clamp on. After a ride, the TurnCoat comes a bit lose and a short and quick Hex Key wrench work sets it back right.

So I thought the fork isn't really matched with the stem as the head set claims sufficient steered length to effectively deprive the stem of clamping area. So the question is, will an integrated head set be appropriate for the abuse of dirt jumping and general trail riding? Will a FSA Zero Stack head set do a similar job and provide the stem with a longer clamping length from the steerer?

Thanks

MARKL

Eats Squid
I think you are after an 'internal' as oposed to 'integrated' headset (an integrated headset the bearings just dropin as the cups are moulded into the frame).

I would just use an internal headset similar to the headset you are already using - the only issue I would see is a potential slight change in HA. If the HA change was an issue you could keep your lower headset and just change the upper if that gave you sufficient steerer tube length. Token make a number of internal headsets.