Heading to Forrest this weekend - where to camp & where to ride?

hitch

Squid
I am hoping to head to the Forrest area this weekend (if I can get a camp site, being a long weekend it might be a bit busy), and am wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a good spot to camp. I wouldn't mind having a bit of a swim as well, so am thinking of Wye River/Kennett River/Skenese Creek, and probably drive up to Forrest early in the morning, and back to camp in arvo for a swim and a beer. Can anyone recommend a good camp site (rough or caravan park). i was also thinking of camping at Lake Elizabeth, but have read that it's a bit of a hike from the car park to the camp ground - too far to lug gas bottle, bbq, tent, esky etc.? Can you swim in Lake Elizabeth?

Also, what trails would you recommend for a relative newbie to riding? I've largely done a mix of trail/single track around Bendigo, and went to Wombat last weekend and loved it, so thought I should do something decent with a proper weekend. What trails at Forrest are good for a beginner to moderate? Ta.

joe79

Likes Dirt
Forrest caravan park is good. No swimming close by, but it's nice to be within easy riding distance of both trail heads.
Forrest trails are all graded in difficulty, so start with the blues and then ease onto the blacks if you're feeling confident.

MTB_KAT

Likes Dirt
Hi, I was going to recommend Marengo Caravan Park as i have stayed there and it is a great spot but unfortunately they are fully booked this weekend, but for next time they are worth checking out http://www.marengopark.com.au/

then of course there is Forrest Caravan Park, if you haven't already seen this site check it out, it has all you need to know about Forrest and the trails http://www.rideforrest.com.au/ there is an accommodation link on there for the Caravan Park details, you an check out the Forrest Trail Maps link which shows the different trails, from memory the number 7 trail was the easiest, when you get to the car park at Yaugher there is a map and it has different grading for each trail with how difficult it is so you can take it from there to figure out which trails are better suited to you, in my opinion and not being a rider of great technical ability all the trails are rideable for anyone with a bit of MTB'ing under their belt, just take it easy and jump off and walk what you cant ride and slow down on the fast descents

the only other park I can comment on is this one http://www.piscespark.com.au/ not too sure if they have anything available, it is close to the beach in Apollo Bay

Wye River and Kennett River a bit further away from Forrest than Marengo and Apollo Bay, about 45 minutes drive, cant comment on their camp sites as I haven't stayed there

hope you can find a camp site for the weekend and the weather is fine for your ride

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
Forrest caravan park is good. No swimming close by, but it's nice to be within easy riding distance of both trail heads.
Forrest trails are all graded in difficulty, so start with the blues and then ease onto the blacks if you're feeling confident.
You could also cut short a run down Red Carpet, turn left and head down to the local swimming hole just above the reservoir.

Quick dry down after a swim, back on the bike and finish the twisty bits before heading into town.

At least that's what the locals would do. :rolleyes:

Roland

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
I am hoping to head to the Forrest area this weekend (if I can get a camp site, being a long weekend it might be a bit busy), and am wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a good spot to camp. I wouldn't mind having a bit of a swim as well, so am thinking of Wye River/Kennett River/Skenese Creek, and probably drive up to Forrest early in the morning, and back to camp in arvo for a swim and a beer. Can anyone recommend a good camp site (rough or caravan park). i was also thinking of camping at Lake Elizabeth, but have read that it's a bit of a hike from the car park to the camp ground - too far to lug gas bottle, bbq, tent, esky etc.? Can you swim in Lake Elizabeth?

Also, what trails would you recommend for a relative newbie to riding? I've largely done a mix of trail/single track around Bendigo, and went to Wombat last weekend and loved it, so thought I should do something decent with a proper weekend. What trails at Forrest are good for a beginner to moderate? Ta.
If you think the hike down to the camp area too far, drop a line into DSE or Parks Vic. Before their upgrade you could park next to a camp spot, now the gate is shut and everything has to be carried in, (down).

I am being a bit precious here but remember that Lorne and Apollo Bay, as well as other towns mentioned, will be more than happy to take your money, but

THEY PUT ZERO EFFORT INTO MAINTAINING THE LOCAL TRAIL NETWORK.

Where-as Forrest businesses and residents work very hard on this front. Not much point in bringing the MTB down if there are no trails to ride on?

Roland

Last edited:

wolfjjj

Likes Dirt
The camp site at Lake Elizabeth is great, the carpark can't be more than 50m from where you can camp so it's not a big deal. It is downhill but again not a big deal.

I'm heading down there this coming weekend too and staying at the Caravan park in Forrest. So if you're around and looking for someone to ride with, give us a shout (PM).

Trails are plentiful and easy to find. As someone mentioned Norm's website ww.rideforrest.com.au will give you all the info you need. Things were a little slick in the rain this weekend just gone but the forecast looks good at the moment so hopefully things will dry out a little in the meantime.

Cheers

hitch

Squid
Thanks for the info and tips guys, I really appreciate it. I also understand what you're saying about local businesses etc., but unfortunately I haven't had a holiday for a while, and am looking forward to getting some beach time in over the long weekend as well. Would definitely be looking at staying local for a short weekend though, and the options in Forrest look good - will look at Lake Elizabeth when I'm down this time with a view to staying there next time, otherwise caravan park looks good.

Might take you up on the offer wolfjjj - although you sound like you're a bit of a higher standard than me - wouldn't want to slow you down!

wolfjjj

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the info and tips guys, I really appreciate it. I also understand what you're saying about local businesses etc., but unfortunately I haven't had a holiday for a while, and am looking forward to getting some beach time in over the long weekend as well. Would definitely be looking at staying local for a short weekend though, and the options in Forrest look good - will look at Lake Elizabeth when I'm down this time with a view to staying there next time, otherwise caravan park looks good.

Might take you up on the offer wolfjjj - although you sound like you're a bit of a higher standard than me - wouldn't want to slow you down!
No worries, we'll be the bunch at the caravan park with the bikes, I think there will be a few of us there so should be a variety of levels.

hitch

Squid
Just thought I'd update this to say I had a great weekend, and loved riding Forrest on Sunday and Monday. I rode the Sourthen tracks on Sunday, getting some tips from guys who were just leaving and then hooking up with a few other people. I rode Roller Coaster and Third Time Lucky as a warm up, before doing Barlidjaru and Red Carpet - which was awesome - except for jamming my chain ring into my ankle while stacking into some blackberries.

On Monday I went to Yaugher and got some tips from another bloke who was just arriving, and Fox Tail returning on the super loop, and then started on the super loop so I could do Marriners Run - which was great - the long run of berms, and the couple of steep drops were great. Certainly got the heart pumping. I then returned on Fox Tail and the Super Loop.

All up I rode about 47km (a couple of wrong turns :) ), and apparently used up about 2700 Kcal - a good way to lose weight! Am looking forward to the next weekend i can head back and camp at Forrest, and get a few other tracks under my belt. It's a great bunch of tracks that appear to be very well maintained and sign posted.