Headset help

Kevdog

Likes Bikes
Ok, so my friend borrowed my bike over the weekend and i don't know why but decided to take off the forks/headset ect..

He then didn't assemble it properly afterward which led to this:

IMG_2474.jpg

The bars just rattled around as it wasn't reassembled properly.. but it didn't stop him from riding it all weekend :tsk:

The bike is a 2006 Specialized bighit 1:
http://www.bikepedia.com/Quickbike/...zed&Model=Bighit+FSR+I&Type=bike#.UPVVSGc5uSo

Do i just need a new headset or do i need something entirely different ?

Any help appreciated.

rone

Eats Squid
You need a new friend because your current one is an arse.

The headset dust seal appears to be buggered, but it's difficult to tell about the rest without seeing it apart. Just tell him to buy you a new one. That'll learn him.

Kevdog

Likes Bikes
He will be paying for it :biggrin1: ... one way or another..

I'm pretty sure he 'misplaced' a seal/washer aswell.

Any recommendations for headsets ?

MARKL

Eats Squid
Do i just need a new headset or do i need something entirely different ?
To fix the cause of the problem take your friend and the bike to a bike shop and go with the most expensive solution they can think of...look at your mate and say 'thanks'.

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Its always a "friend" that seems to make monumental stuff ups when it comes to dis/re-assembly of bikes.......

Kevdog

Likes Bikes
Its always a "friend" that seems to make monumental stuff ups when it comes to dis/re-assembly of bikes.......
icon_rolleyes.gif

Even with my basic knowledge of bikes and owning it for 6 years. To fit it in the back of a vz wagon, all that's required is to remove both front and rear wheels...

In this case is was actually someone else who caused this 'monumental stuff up'.

Take your friend and the bike to a bike shop and go with the most expensive solution they can think of...look at your mate and say 'thanks'.
There are three shops that i can think of on the same stretch of road not far from me.
I'll try get some 'reasonable' quotes by the end of the week :biggrin1: