Headset help?

diggerz

Likes Dirt
The headset in my 2010 transition tr450 clapped out today. Went to the bike shop to see what my options were and I'm going to get a new one. My only issue is I've got no clue what size I'm meant to buy! LBS said I needed a 1 1/2 external lower cup to 1 1/8 top internal. That would be fine, if I had any idea what that meant. I was hoping one of you burner's would point me in the right direction in what to buy (looking at something pretty decent for around 100 but will consider going higher if its worth it).

After googling, the tr450 needs a zero stack cup and has a standard 1.5" bottom. For the upper cup, it uses an integrated 36/45 headset. That's about all I know. What headset do you guys recommend?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers.

Last edited:

Likes Bikes
The headset in my 2010 transition tr450 clapped out today. Went to the bike shop to see what my options were and I'm going to get a new one. My only issue is I've got no clue what size I'm meant to buy! LBS said I needed a 1 1/2 external lower cup to 1 1/8 top internal. That would be fine, if I had any idea what that meant. I was hoping one of you burner's would point me in the right direction in what to buy (looking at something pretty decent for around 100 but will consider going higher if its worth it).

After googling, the tr450 needs a zero stack cup and has a standard 1.5" bottom. For the upper cup, it uses an integrated 36/45 headset. That's about all I know.

Cheers.
I don't know anything what to buy for a headset but do have a bit of experience taking them off, cleaning them out etc

once you get what you need to buy you should either make a specific tool to fit the headset or get a bike mechanic to do it. You can stuff up the symmetry of the headset using hammers and bolts to bach it in and out like i did. Check out the videos on you tube for how to replace the headset if u want to do it yourself.

good luck

Cane creek have their headset fit finder http://www.canecreek.com/headset-fit-finder , just punch in your bike details and they'll give you what you need.

But headsets are a pain to get your head around along with Bottom bracket standards. Cane Creek and a few guys are trying to standardise a the naming of them with the SHIS coding, it's not too hard to understand but a lot of numbers and that's not even trying to identify the type of headset you have.

If you're unsure, I'd leave it to the shop. A headset press is pretty important to get the cups back straight. Block of wood have been used but errr...... not really that good.

Likes Bikes

After googling, the tr450 needs a zero stack cup and has a standard 1.5" bottom. For the upper cup, it uses an integrated 36/45 headset. That's about all I know. What headset do you guys recommend?

Cheers.
this web link might help u find right headset

http://www.canecreek.com/headset-fit-finder