Headset replacememt

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We inherited a 2011-ish Trek Cobia which eldest uses to muck around on. He's been complaining about the steering so pulled the fork off to have a look. When we did, ball bearings and plastic discs/washers went everywhere.

1. WTF kind of headset is the one in the picture? And can I just replace it with a 'normal' headset as long as I get the diameter correct? And what would the plastic discs be for?

2. It's got on old recon silver fork on it which appears to be missing a crown race, however surely there's no way he could have rode it for so long with it being missing? Is there some kind of witchcraft associated with the weird headset?

Attachments

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
1. Loose ball bearing headset. Yes, replace! Plastic discs might have been a shitty seal to poorly attempt to keep dirt out.
2. The crown race for LBB headsets can sometimes look like they are one with the fork. But if it's definitely missing maybe the eldest doesn't know how a loose headset feels? Cheap kids bike forks often clunk and move fore and aft so maybe it went unnoticed?

Got a photo of where the crown race appears to be missing?

Yeah, I'd just knock the cups out, measure the size needed and get a new headset. (I assume straight steerer threadless?) BrandX make a bunch of different headset sizes for a reasonable price.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Don't overthink it. Take out the old bearings and headset. Knock out the cups. Measure and buy a corresponding headset.

Don't look back!

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
The Nukeproof headsets are very good for a budget option. The Ztto one's from Ali are also good and use standard headset bearing sizes.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I can vouch for nuke proof and brand X headsets from CRC. Price is sharp and they are poodle life proof. Not that such a claim attests to much just now with the all work no life approach.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Cane Creek 40 is well made and reasonably priced. They last for ages too.
Used to be my goto headset.
Fitted to new builds, sold bikes a few years later with zero headset issues during ownership.

Hard to get the right combo in stock these days.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
+1 for brand x sealed bearing, cheap and good.
I rode into a tree the other day and put mine to the flex test. Did the stem back up post incident and feels like new still. Friend has something $$$$ in his super bike and it always feels like shit.

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for all the replies!
Had to head up to brissy for the week...
Is that bit of metal below actually a crown race? So much smaller than ever other one I have

Definitely going with the 'replace everything' option

20221211_103046.jpg

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Yes it's a 1 & 1/8th inch base plate.

Edit:

Trek says that that particular model has semi-integrated, semi-cartridge bearings. So the picture is showing the base plate and the lower cartridge bearing.

Last edited: