Heart Rate Monitor advice?

mtb5150

Likes Dirt
Not sure if it is the correct thread to post this but I am going to buy a HR monitor to assist my training.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Is there any that have a iPhone or similar interface?

top_oz_bloke

Likes Dirt
I'm quite happy with my Suunto T3C. It's a wristwatch as opposed to bike computer type which suits me as I use it for other stuff as well (gym, running etc).

Given my propensity to go OTB and bust computers off in the process I'd be hesitant to put too many $ into a bike comp but that's just me.

camzh

Likes Dirt
just grave digging this one to see if anything has changed...

I'm looking to get a HRM just to see if i'm over doing it.

Suggestions ?
plenty of cheapies on ebay, are they junk or worth while ?
strap vs strapless ?

Ozkaban

Likes Dirt
Cheapies = junk.

I have an aldi one you an have for the price of the postage from Sydney (needs a new battery) if you want to prove it to yourself.

Polar make great HRMs. Some of them are not overly expensive.

top_oz_bloke

Likes Dirt
Suunto is still going fine. Had to replace the strap (just the elastic part, not the transmitter) when it started getting bit whacky but otherwise still going strong.

For cycling I'm now using a Garmin though. My fears proved unfounded and has survived many stacks (mounted on stem).

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Grab a Garmin Forerunner. It's a normal watch style heart rate monitor but it has GPS built in so you can track your ride aswell. Logs your heart rate, elevation, speed... everything. $260. Not that much more then a Polar HRM but with a hell of alot more useful tools.

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
I got a 50 buck cheapie from Dick Smith. No backlight, and won't give you HR max at end of ride but will tell you avg HR, calories, etc and can set min and max alarms. Going strong after 6 months, only had to change batt on strap. Worth the money IMO.

angrybadger

Likes Dirt
Grab a Garmin Forerunner. It's a normal watch style heart rate monitor but it has GPS built in so you can track your ride aswell. Logs your heart rate, elevation, speed... everything. $260. Not that much more then a Polar HRM but with a hell of alot more useful tools.
+1 for this.
I use a Forerunner 210, bought it for running but it works just as good on a bike. Normally don't bother with the heat rate strap while riding, but use it for tacking distance, elevation, time, etc which it does well. Stacked it a few times wearing it, looking a bit scruffy now but still working fine.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I use a garmin fr610, the HR strap also pairs with my andriod phone for stuff liek endomondo etc.

funkymonkey

Likes Dirt
I have a polar rcx 5. Very good, big display and very accurate. Fully waterproof including the strap. Multisport for cycling, running and swimming and you can add other sports to suit... Even has cool little icons...

Bought it second hand off eBay.

Highly recommend.

kooga

Likes Bikes
Another one for the forerunner. I have the 410, which was the top watch when i bought it. Although a bit bulky, couldn't be happier with it. Never replaced anything in the two and a bit year's apart from the strap which broke because i was putting to much tension on it when mounting to handle bars without their rubber bar mount thingy. I use it almost daily. Battery last's just under 24 hours continual use with back light on. Find it to be accurate, and really easy to upload everything to computer if you want to see where you road ect. You can even use the GPS feature to plot routes and tell you when to turn ect. I found this useful when going for run's and ride oversea's

wombat

Lives in a hole
Worth noting most of the forerunners will pair with the Garmin speed/cadence unit as well, so for a bit extra you get a pretty full functioning bike computer too.

camzh

Likes Dirt
Well I ended up buying a 2nd hand Timex from ebay.
No where near as fancy as the Garmin, but it's exactly what I wanted. (can read as: cheap)

Shows currernt HR, average, and max.
Can also put in your weight and will 'calculate' energy usage.

took it out for a ride yesterday, and seems to work fine.

thanks for the suggestions.