Heavy news: Aussie soldier killed in Afghanistan.

TonyG

Likes Dirt
At the time I was heavily in favour of it, I disliked the Taliban (more for their role in the drug trade and treatment of women than for sponsorship of terrorism) and was happy to see them deposed.

I still think that the world is better without that particular regime, however the concept of bringing democracy etc to that part of the world is a bit harder to swallow. Afghanistan has been occupied that many times in the last few centuries and they have eventually kicked all occupiers out. At some point they should be allowed to decide how they rule themselves.

I also think that the opportunity to get in and remove the taliban and get back out again was messed up a bit by the war in Iraq and that the ball has been dropped with respect to allowing taliban/al qaeda forces to regain strength and support.

Interestingly I'm living in Canada at the moment and they are also agonising about their troop deployment in Afghanistan. They have had over 70 troops killed (some even by locals and not American forces!) and there is a growing support for bringing their troops home. I don't know why they have lost so many more troops than us, perhaps they have many more or are in more dangerous areas but there is a very robust debate occurring here at the moment.
I’m as busy as a drovers dog, so I don’t have a chance to really word this as well as I’d like, but
The Taliban is a horrible cruel regime that has no place in modern society. We may not need to restore democracy, but I think if you are going to oust a political party because you disagree with their views, then it would be hypocritical to replace the said power with another regime of your choosing.
I make no apology for my views on the Taliban I would happily look anyone in the eye and say that I think they should be removed from the face of the earth. They are a cancer to that area, and to the world in general. The world will clearly be a better when they are gone. Good bye and good riddance to any and all of them i say.

nizai

Likes Dirt
I think if you are going to oust a political party because you disagree with their views, then it would be hypocritical to replace the said power with another regime of your choosing.
Why not, the CIA do it all the time... in fact, isnt that how the Taleban came to be in the first place?

John Bolton was recently quoted as saying about Iran...

“I don’t think the use of military force is an attractive option, but I would tell you I don’t know what the alternative is. The US once had the capability to engineer the clandestine overthrow of governments. I wish we could get it back.”
Yeah that worked really well in Iran the first time eh!

RIP the Aussie Digger - It's a shame that conflict has not had the attention it should have had. With more appropriate resources available to it, I doubt it would be the shambles it is today.

eerrggh

Likes Dirt
now there was alot of writing in the last few pages... i got threw about the first one and couldnt be bothered anymore but my oppinion:

i support the war on terrorism and all that shiz niz or whatever u wanna call it. i know i dont want these wankas runnning around killin each other and anybody else who gets in the way even if it is in their country, if we keep goin as we are and slowly getting rid of the extremests then one day hpefully it'll be alot safer for people in our country and the rest of the globe. but this thread wasnt 'should we be in afgan' it was a thread about how a soldier died. think about it

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
now there was alot of writing in the last few pages... i got threw about the first one and couldnt be bothered anymore but my oppinion:

i support the war on terrorism and all that shiz niz or whatever u wanna call it. i know i dont want these wankas runnning around killin each other and anybody else who gets in the way even if it is in their country, if we keep goin as we are and slowly getting rid of the extremests then one day hpefully it'll be alot safer for people in our country and the rest of the globe. but this thread wasnt 'should we be in afgan' it was a thread about how a soldier died. think about it
Maybe you should do a little more reading than writing.

Think about it.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
I’m as busy as a drovers dog, so I don’t have a chance to really word this as well as I’d like, but
The Taliban is a horrible cruel regime that has no place in modern society. We may not need to restore democracy, but I think if you are going to oust a political party because you disagree with their views, then it would be hypocritical to replace the said power with another regime of your choosing.
I make no apology for my views on the Taliban I would happily look anyone in the eye and say that I think they should be removed from the face of the earth. They are a cancer to that area, and to the world in general. The world will clearly be a better when they are gone. Good bye and good riddance to any and all of them i say.
Actually I pretty much agree, my point was very badly enunciated. Johnny said what I wanted in a much better fashion.

DunCon

Likes Dirt
dont get me wrong guys i am strong suporter of the australian army and its involvment in conflict becouse we have had such a succes rate in past conflicts

i myself am not in the army as of yet but and joining up after my medical

but it is stuff like this that makes it more of a need for our boys to stay there if our booys cant drive down a road safly without this hapening imagen if it was a local boy playen with his sister runing through the streets and have this hapen

but never the less it is always sad to see one of our boys die

R.I.P
lest we forget

sheepy

Likes Dirt
whilst i feel sorry for his family, it really doesn't bother me a great deal

we don't care how many civilians are killed do we? i understand that yes, under the taliban many tied, however im generalising this to Iraq as well, so many civilian and military people have been killed over there, and we don't bat an eyelid. ONE Australian soldier dies and we make a big song and dance about it, sorry it sounds blunt, but think about the other side as well, they have family's too

sheepy

Likes Dirt
if we keep goin as we are and slowly getting rid of the extremests then one day hpefully it'll be alot safer for people in our country

HAHAHAHAHAHA ... ha

sorry but how much safer can we get? there has NEVER been a major terrorist attack in Australia

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member

we don't care how many civilians are killed do we? i understand that yes, under the taliban many tied, however im generalising this to Iraq as well, so many civilian and military people have been killed over there, and we don't bat an eyelid. ONE Australian soldier dies and we make a big song and dance about it, sorry it sounds blunt, but think about the other side as well, they have family's too
I disagree. MAny times has the civilian casualty rate been mentioned on and off these forums. I don't think it has been ignored at all.

Drop_Bear

Likes Bikes

I think the song and dance is about the fact that it's the FIRST Aussie to die. Well, in combat as it were.

I liked the responses to the Afghanistan question despite not agreeing with them. I won't go into for fear of diverting the topic too much except to say that all the Taliban asked for was evidence of Bin Laden's involvement in 911 before they would let the US in to find him. Which I thought was fair enough. There are worse regimes out there, however they dont have oil under the ground which they rule so we don't really care all that much.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I think the song and dance is about the fact that it's the FIRST Aussie to die. Well, in combat as it were.

I liked the responses to the Afghanistan question despite not agreeing with them. I won't go into for fear of diverting the topic too much except to say that all the Taliban asked for was evidence of Bin Laden's involvement in 911 before they would let the US in to find him. Which I thought was fair enough. There are worse regimes out there, however they dont have oil under the ground which they rule so we don't really care all that much.
Who would you say are the worse regimes? I could only think of Burma, Zimbabwe and DPRK. And of all of these, Afghanistan was in the worst position, IMO. None of the others were also in civil war nor basing thier main export on narcotics.

Afghanistan also doesn't have oil. They are a pipeline conduit from the Caspian region to Karachi for Unocal...., Karzai used to be UNOCAL's top adviser for Afghanistan.

Drop_Bear

Likes Bikes
True Afghanistan has very little in the way of energy resources but it's location is the key.

The premise for the war in my opinion was said pipeline and after the US striked within it's borders in 1998 the country was deemed too unstable so investors pulled out. Given the removal of the Taliban and a puppet government installed it would open up the energy tranfers between Russia, China and India.

While the war in Afghanistan was 100 X more justified than the one in Iraq the premise of a brutal regime was just hype and propogander to help aid the cause of chasing down Bin Laden within it's borders. Before 9/11 the Taliban got very little mainstream media attention and was generally seen as a bit worse than the rest yet we still did business with them when they permitted. They were in civil war yes... but Afghanistan has been at war for more than 20 years now. It is their proximity to the Middle East and relative ease of overthrow that made them an easy and viable target post 9/11 and given the "with us or against us" War on Terror the US was given carte blanche to pursue any target.

I don't believe that any greater good was pursued in Afghanistan. I think that was just a bonus and we took it to be the main goal. Just like in Iraq, prewar it was all about 1 issue and 1 issue only. After it becomes about greater good and we forget the entire premise of going in in the first place. We were tricked. And if we don't keep a vigilant eye out we will be tricked time and time again. The Right are great at this kind of arguement with questions like "Would you rather see Saddam back in power?" but at this stage, as with the Taliban 1000's more people would be alive, living more secure lives than they are now (although still very unssafe by our standards). You can't force democrracy onto a population. The reason dictatorships work in the ME is because they keep the populace from civil wars (not always the case) and united. This is highly argueable but fundamentally true.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yeah, I'm aware of the want to invade Afghanistan after the pipeline was awarded to a non-American firm. Zalmay Khalizad was working for RAND who were advising both the Govt. and UNOCAL. He was the one who decided they should be on the state sponsored terror list after they awarded the pipeline elsewhere. Then he became the US advisor for Afghan and appointed his mate, Kharzai as interim Pres. Bush even hosted the Taliban at his ranch before they denied US access to the pipeline.

But, I think one of the reasons why we didn't hear as much bad press about them before the contract was awarded (to Russia, I think) is because we didn't want to see them that way. We wanted what they had, so we tended to ignore certain aspects of their rule.

I used to have the doc. that was tabled in Congress by UNOCAL saying that a stable Govt. needed to be in power in Afghan before international money lenders would support work there.

But, the fact still remains that Al Qaeda WERE a global threat, WERE attacking other countries on a significant scale and DID need to be confronted. So how do you do that without taking out the Taliban? THere was talk that they could have offered him if the US had played their game, but I am quite doubtful.

Drop_Bear

Likes Bikes
At the time the Taliban stated repeatedly that they would hand him over if they were given enough evidence that he was responsible. While it turned out he was responsible, the US did not have that evidence (or atleast werent forthcoming with it at the time) and made very little attempt to negoiate. It seemed clear that they wanted Osama on a platter or it was all out war.

Firstly, the Taliban didnt "have" him at all. If he was in their custody or was easily obtainable then fair enough they had that on the bargaining table. But he was in the middle of nowhere in hiding guarded by a host of his own devotee's as it were.

Secondly, there were other options than all out war. While not exactly ideal or particularly pheasable, they could have focused on surgical strikes to try to eliminate Osama. All out war was not the only option, it should have been the absolute last resort and it wasnt. The US said "hand him over or be annhilated" and they were. Regime change is all well and good but it was clear that the Taliban had substantial support within it's own country in the south and would not simply dissapear once the leaders were taken out.

Osama had to be stopped. But he was not an iminant threat. He could have been contained and caught by other means. In reality all we seem to have done is move him a little to the east. Besides, it's not any one man that enables these acts of terrorism. His capture/death, in all actuallity, will have almost no impact on the occurance of terrorism in the name of Islam.

My point is that the invasion of Afghanistan was based on the premise of pursuing Osama Bin Laden, not regime change, and we seem to have forgetten that. Given the talk about Iran lately we seem to be gearing up for exactly the same shit over again. Regime change is not a premise for war. Hell, even the 1st Gulf war was widely disputed as justified yet Iraq actually INVADED another country. Now all it seems to need to go to war is an idealogical indifferance + the word "nuclear".

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
At the time the Taliban stated repeatedly that they would hand him over if they were given enough evidence that he was responsible. While it turned out he was responsible, the US did not have that evidence (or atleast werent forthcoming with it at the time) and made very little attempt to negoiate. It seemed clear that they wanted Osama on a platter or it was all out war.
That is one perspective, another is that they were stalling in preparation for war. I remember all the arguments that the Taliban would play along if they were given evidence etc. etc., but even at the time I was skeptical of their sincerity.

Firstly, the Taliban didnt "have" him at all. If he was in their custody or was easily obtainable then fair enough they had that on the bargaining table. But he was in the middle of nowhere in hiding guarded by a host of his own devotee's as it were.
If the Taliban were not able to go in and grab him because he was pretected in a remote area, that also supports the argument that they were stalling. For it doesn't matter how much evidence they were shown if they did not have the capacity to go get him. I also remember them saying they didn't even knowwhere he was...., bullshit. They would have been watching him like a hawk. The fact also remained that he had attacked the USS Cole, Niarobi and Dar Esalam (sp) among many other targets throughout the Arabic world. I felt, at the time, that asking for concrete evidence considering the history was also asking for too much. They should have said, you can come into the country to find/take him, we will not stand in your way. But, if any of us or the civillians are harmed, then there will be consequences. This, I would feel is a more realistic scenario for the Taleban and therefore have deep seeded doubts that their offer to hand him over was sincere. I think they were buying time for him and themselves.

Secondly, there were other options than all out war. While not exactly ideal or particularly pheasable, they could have focused on surgical strikes to try to eliminate Osama.
They did not have the intelligence needed to make this a pheasable option.
All out war was not the only option, it should have been the absolute last resort and it wasnt. The US said "hand him over or be annhilated" and they were. Regime change is all well and good but it was clear that the Taliban had substantial support within it's own country in the south and would not simply dissapear once the leaders were taken out.
Ok, this then gets past the discussion of invasion and moves to the execution of. That is a different story and I think we can both agree that if they had thrown what they did at Iraq Afghanistan's way, things would have been very different today.

Osama had to be stopped. But he was not an iminant threat.
What do you mean he wasn't an imminent threat??!! He'd just attacked the US mainland killing 3000 civillians, had masterminded the spread of modern Islamofascism around the world and was threatening greater attacks! How is that anything else but an iminant threat??!!
He could have been contained and caught by other means.
That's a big ask without much intel and zero boots on the ground.
In reality all we seem to have done is move him a little to the east. Besides, it's not any one man that enables these acts of terrorism. His capture/death, in all actuallity, will have almost no impact on the occurance of terrorism in the name of Islam.
Once again this is two differing fields of discussion. 1. the execution of the invasion and 2. The causes of terrorism of which I have already written at length and I'd say that we agree on many root causes.

My point is that the invasion of Afghanistan was based on the premise of pursuing Osama Bin Laden, not regime change, and we seem to have forgetten that.
Not necessarily, they did openly state that they would take out the Taliban for housing and not handing bin Laden over and create a country that was not disposed to becoming a failed state/harbourer of terrorists. That was openly stated before the invasion.
Given the talk about Iran lately we seem to be gearing up for exactly the same shit over again. Regime change is not a premise for war. Hell, even the 1st Gulf war was widely disputed as justified yet Iraq actually INVADED another country. Now all it seems to need to go to war is an idealogical indifferance + the word "nuclear".
Yeah, not too many disputed it though. Of course teh few loggerheads within the UN did, but they did not veto the action. From memory, it was really only Yemen that outwardly opposed it..., and they lost their foreign aid from the US as thanks...

nizai

Likes Dirt
Thought id dig this one up for another poor digger killed today in Afghanistan.

Lest we never forget the unfortunate job those guys have over there.

RIP Private Luke Worsley.

N

Black Ice

Likes Dirt
There is a tone of writing here, And to be honest I don’t have the time to sit here and read it all.

How many of you people are in the army or have ever been to war? I think allot of us back home need to understand the conditions and what war is like. I don’t want to sound like I don’t care, however we need to be accept death and even possibly expect death from war. You will always have death in war, we can’t expect our soldiers to go over and all of them come back.

The war in Iraq and surrounding countries is just another can of worms; our government maybe wrong about some of the things they assign our boys to do. However I am not and never will be one of those people who sit back and say “War is terrible, it isn’t the solution” the fact is, War is what is happening. The boys need our support, and they see why they are fighting, when you remember the innocent lives killed in terrorist attacks and the families affected by them that is what gives soldiers to remember why they are doing there duties. And quite frankly, how are you expecting our boys to think when they know there country isn’t behind them?

It may be a life lost, The soldier may have died young but the way I see it, He has died a Hero.

Don’t get me wrong by any of this; We all have our opinions on this matter.