Heckler

Gripo

Eats Squid
For months not a Heckler in sight.....then 2 in 1 week.

Spec
Med 05 Frame (blood red) with 5th 450lb coil
03 120mm travel Marzc Siver SC's
Truv Holz 2" bars cut down w/ODI lock-ons
Thomson 50mm stem
Thomson 367mm seatpost
SDG Bel Air RL saddle
Olde (light) Haro pedals
XT 170mm cranks/ 34t ring
XT derail/XT chain/XT 11-34t cass
Hope Mini Mono's F&R with 180mm rotors
Sun Singletrack rims F&R (XT hub rear/DaBomb 20mm front)
Maxxis no name tyres? 2.10 F&R
Weight 33.8lbs

Thanks Daniel aka Neezy NSW

Last edited:

treggs

Treggs Tuned
Is there a bike in the Santa Cruz range you don't own??? :p
Nice ride... the single crown shivers are a nice fork too.

frank-oi

Likes Dirt
i like it, i like it alot.

the bike is sweet. but where are you riding it. it looks like it's on it's way to broken hill in the pic's.

-DAvo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
nicee, 2 hecklers in 1 week huh? ;) ;) :cool:

btw, do you drop your chain much? dosent seem like theres a guide, nor can i see a front mech..

Gripo

Eats Squid
Is there a bike in the Santa Cruz range you don't own??? :p
Nice ride... the single crown shivers are a nice fork too.
Almost got everyone of them now :p .....................

Wanted a SP for the wet season up here (mud v's vpp pivots = :( )...well that's my excuse.........:rolleyes:

2 rides in and it's another one of my favorites.

i like it, i like it alot.

the bike is sweet. but where are you riding it. it looks like it's on it's way to broken hill in the pic's.
It's about the same distance inland as Broken hill is from the coast but 2000k's further north, near Mt Isa Qld

btw, do you drop your chain much? dosent seem like theres a guide, nor can i see a front mech..
I usually run e13 srs's but have taken them off my trailbikes in an effort to reduce chain drag from the bottom pully and lose 500g of weight.

Ironically the only time I dropped a chain in 60k of trailriding is when I rolled over the gutter into my driveway.

Currently I'm making an innner guidering to bolt onto the granny tabs out of an old granny + 44t outer ring with the teeth ground off. (my bashie is a 44t bigring with teeth ground off)

This will cure any chain drop issues and allow a no drag system.

Last edited:

Bodin

GMBC
Sweet bike, Gripper. I've always loved Hecklers and they're one of MBA's favourite bikes of all time.

I'm wondering why you don't run a standard 3-ring set up? An extra shifter, derailleur and gear cable on the bike won't cost you that much extra weight or maintenance, but will increase your gear range by 100%. It looks like a "ride anything" bike, so I'm surprised you don't run the drivetrain to match...

Sov

Likes Dirt
^^^I was wondering the same thing. Maybe even a dual ring setup with a 22 tooth granny. I run 36/22 and a DRS on my Heckler, with 11-34 on the back and I reckon my rides would involve a lot of walking without my granny!

I find 36-34 is a pretty sweet gear for most gradual inclines, but when things get steep or techy the granny is really handy. That said, I'm more of a spinner than a stomper so I like low gears.

But yeah, very sweet build, and that scenery looks awesome!

Gripo

Eats Squid
1x9

Bodin/Sov
Essentially, my trails allow me to get away with a 1x9 set up with 11-34 casst and either a 34 or 36t middle ring. Like you Sov I found a 34 or 36t midde ring gives the casst a better spread ie. I can carry a gear longer before shifting (=less shifting) compared to a 32t. Also I like to use every gear on that casst too, rather than to "go granny" or "big ring".

Also, maybe I'd rather walk a short distance that have to put up with the extra granny front/mech/shifter/cable. The other benefits are a shorter chain and a mid cage derailr.

Sov, I did try a e13 DRS but again found that it added to much drag to the chain while pedaling.

Guys, just think of 1x9 as a flexible single speeder.

Wish more people could see the outback as mtbers paradise...though a HOT one.

Thanks for the compliments.