Heerres Johnny!! (ReBuIlD) Update - New pics on pg 9

mossmanguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hello,
I have decided to rebuild my Cowan starting from scratch. I have stripped every part off it and will rebuild it using the same and some new parts. I will keep you updated with pics. I have a rough spec list of what I hope to turn out like below. Also I plan to use plough kings half ass paint job on the rims and see how it turns out like. I have broken my DMR STS single speed thingo but I have seen a few cowans without them so I will give it a try. Also I spoke to my LBS and the horizontal drop outs will come in around november so I will be onto that then but the halflink will do for the moment.

Frame: 08 Kona Cowan (Special Edition)
Saddle: Shadow Conspircy
Fork: Marzocchi DJ 2 (Special Edition)
Headset: Chris King Polished Siver
Stem: Deity Oversized
H/Bars: Deity Twenty14 uncut
Grips: Shadow Conspiracy
R/Brake: Hayes Stroker Trail.
Rim: Sun MTX Equalizers White.
Tyres: Intense Micro Knobby's
Cranks: FSA Moto X
Chain: Half Link

26-9-08

10-10-08

11-10-08

Thanks.
C & C appreciated.
Heaps of close up pictures on page 3

Last edited:

poppa_johns

Likes Bikes and Dirt
looking in alot of pieces Adam, hope you rmember how it all goes back:p
will be sweet when its done, although i think you should go to a pivotal seat setup insted of the devo.
Cheers
Jack

mossmanguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
looking in alot of pieces Adam, hope you rmember how it all goes back:p
will be sweet when its done, although i think you should go to a pivotal seat setup insted of the devo.
Cheers
Jack
Thanks for the comment Poppy. I was going to go pivitol seat but then I will have to replace the seat post and I remember looking for one and it was hard to find a pivitol seat post that would suit my bike. I will be able to get a devo cheap and easy as well and they are a great seat.

RevellBikes

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Get a pivotal and shim it out, it is worth it. Also would be good to see as you hardly see mtbs with that size seat post with pivotals.

moodybluebob

Likes Dirt
yeah either pivotal or a slim seat would look tops.

maybe look into bmx cranks?

maybe look into getting grip to make some horizontal dropouts? would be alot better imo.

edit. maybe your biek shop wasnt telling the truth. apparently these were special ordered from Kona

Last edited:

THE CHENZ

Likes Dirt
EheMMMMM

yeah either pivotal or a slim seat would look tops.

maybe look into bmx cranks?

maybe look into getting grip to make some horizontal dropouts? would be alot better imo.

edit. maybe your biek shop wasnt telling the truth. apparently these were special ordered from Kona
Maybe his LBS was informed by staff that work @ KONA distro that this WAS the truth.
Staff at LBS found it hard to believe that this design of bike didn`t have such an option available.
Staff at LBS confused as consumer is.:confused:

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cable guides? Its what the cables/gear lines run along and zip tie to the frame. Grind of the gear cables ones and just leave the rear brake guides.
mmm grinder + ally frame could be disastrous some people arnt as much of a poser as you to give two shits about having cable guides on a frame

mossmanguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
man, looks like it is gonna be a sweet bike. i have always like the cowan
Thanks. They have started going down in spec since 08 and I found it rare to see a good Kona hardtail around so I decided to be different,

Really nice build. Looks like a pretty desent 4x frame..
Yeah thanks mate.
Its not for the weight, its for the clean look.
Not to concerned. Should I be???
mmm grinder + ally frame could be disastrous some people arnt as much of a poser as you to give two shits about having cable guides on a frame
yeah I like a nice looking bike but cable guides don't concern me.

RevellBikes

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, Ok Im a poser just like everyone that removes their brake and cable mounts on bmx and mtb... But please explain to me how removing cable guides is being a "poser"? Id really like to know!? wanker...

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, Ok Im a poser just like everyone that removes their brake and cable mounts on bmx and mtb... But please explain to me how removing cable guides is being a "poser"? Id really like to know!? wanker...
it means you care more about looks then damaging your bike, hence making you a poser

pretty simple and yes i think everyone who removes cable guides are posers, specially on ally frames, heat distortion + a slip with the grinder and your frames gone

mossmanguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Updates :
Painted the rims using Plow Kings Lazy guide except I went out and spent the extra money on quality paint, Cleaner Resins, and done it really good. It turned out great and it would be hard to tell the difference between this rim and a brand newey. Ordering my parts tomorrow or the next day. Let me know what you think. I have still got to do a couple more coats of paint on it but you can only apply one coat every 16 hours so tomorrow I will.

Attachments

Last edited:
yea boii

yea helped do these rim's look exsactly like new so if ya in the same rut as adam and u low a the doe from buying other parts for ya bike this is the way to go just buy good quality paint and you set ay ! (Y)