Helium in your tubes?

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
I'm told that losing 100g in your wheels* is the equivalent to losing 1kg off the rest of the bike.

Still not enough difference to be worth the bother, though.

* hubs don't count, as they don't make a difference toward rotating weight

fatnold

Likes Bikes and Dirt
1981 Quicksilver Helium Team had valves in the 2 main tubes. The manufacturer claimed it increased frame stiffness. The non helium Team frame of the same year was only 2g heavier.

Attachments

sebbyreddan

Likes Dirt
0 psi would weigh the least. Frame stiffness? Silly stuff.
Not really, compare the strength of a coke can that has been shaken up (under pressure) to an empty can. Can under pressure is much stronger. So you would think frame air pressure would have some influence on frame strength if only in certain directions.

The mine I used to work at, pressurised dragline booms that were made out of tubular steel up to 130psi and the machine had an interlock that would not allow it to operate if the pressure was too low.

As for racing teams filling the tyres with nitrogen/helium, I think it is to prevent the chemical vapours that are released from the rubber when running hot from reacting with oxygen (ie Exploding). Same thing happens in large mining trucks when the tyres get too hot.

the_stig

Likes Bikes
Not really, compare the strength of a coke can that has been shaken up (under pressure) to an empty can. Can under pressure is much stronger. So you would think frame air pressure would have some influence on frame strength if only in certain directions.

The mine I used to work at, pressurised dragline booms that were made out of tubular steel up to 130psi and the machine had an interlock that would not allow it to operate if the pressure was too low.

As for racing teams filling the tyres with nitrogen/helium, I think it is to prevent the chemical vapours that are released from the rubber when running hot from reacting with oxygen (ie Exploding). Same thing happens in large mining trucks when the tyres get too hot.
If you can heat up your tyres that much, see you on the podium this weekend at stromolo. Pressure acts in all directions. If they wanted to pressurise the frame they could just use air and be a lot cheaper. As far as stiffness goes, you'd have to do a sort of truss analysis (which I hate, much more a fan of dynamics than statics)

Customjimmy

Likes Dirt

QUOTE]

Yeah, good point.