Helmet cam ban on race runs-Awaba?

toodles

Wheel size expert
The ruling has nothing to do with safety. It was brought in by the UCI for World Cups where media outlets pay for exclusive broadcasting rights. The trickle down is that you're not allowed to film the finals or qualifiers without permission from the race organisers, and this includes on rider cameras.

It is complete bullshit trying to pass it off as a safety initiative.

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Is that a UCI or MTBA ruling?

I know there is a "default to UCI" clause in the tec regs but surely this is way over the top and damaging to the sport.
Sorry for not being clear, it's a UCI rule. Which is why I'm surprised to see it implemented at a State Level.

Rent_a_crowd

Likes Dirt
So who's idea was it to implement it into the 2nd round anyway? NSWMTB or Rocky Trail? Maybe whoever's idea it was should let the riders know exactly why they decided to implement it all of a sudden.

Sounds rather absurd to me. If we are going to regulate the crap out of State rounds as they've done at Nationals, people are going to stop attending these races.

boysik

Pro Rider
So who's idea was it to implement it into the 2nd round anyway? NSWMTB or Rocky Trail? Maybe whoever's idea it was should let the riders know exactly why they decided to implement it all of a sudden.

Sounds rather absurd to me. If we are going to regulate the crap out of State rounds as they've done at Nationals, people are going to stop attending these races.
It was the MTBA Commissaires following rules handed down from the top - MTBA. Nothing to do with Rocky Trail or the event organisers at all.

MTBA enforced it at Oceanias because it was a UCI event - then when they realised that the TV crews couldnt film the DH finals they asked me to run mine and use the footage...

Just another black mark against MTBA and its race rules. They are definitely making racing less enjoyable. While you have Red Ass in NSW and the VIC guys running awesome events, it really isnt that hard.

dhr_matt

Likes Dirt
This is seriously ridiculous.

I am speaking on behalf of a few other guys who were running the Contour helmet cams yesterday and were majorly disappointed to be told they’re not allowed to record their qualifying run.

Is it true that you can only run a chest mount now? To me that is more dangerous that having something on your helmet...

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
This all stemed from someone running that "helicopter" style setup helmet camera at a Wold Cup round.

Boys and girls, if you want to run helmet cams in your quals and race runs, come down to Vic, we just held the most amzing State champs!:cool::D:);)

sleight

Likes Bikes
I hope that rule doesnt last for too long cos ive got a GoPro on its way just waiting to take footage at awaba

Rent_a_crowd

Likes Dirt
This all stemed from someone running that "helicopter" style setup helmet camera at a Wold Cup round.

Boys and girls, if you want to run helmet cams in your quals and race runs, come down to Vic, we just held the most amzing State champs!:cool::D:);)
So, maybe I'm not real bright or something but if this headcam rule is an MTBA rule, then why is it only being brought in to NSW and does not apply to Vic?

Just curious.

frenchie

Glenorchy MTB Park
Lets be clear,

The helmet cam rule is strictly enforceable at UCI sanctioned events (Oceania's, most national rounds, national champs). This is the same with all UCI rules at these events, whether MTBA agree with them or not.

Ultimately a commissaire has the final say at an event; if he/she decides not to allow helmet cams that's their call.

I see the frustration and don't really agree with the rule, but it's beyond MTBA's control at the UCI events at least.

I'm hoping to get a crack at updating the regs soon so hopefully we can iron some of these inconsistencies out. Go easy on the MTBA hate- as a past hater myself now involved in the organisation, believe me we're all busting our guts for Aussie MTB.

Simon
Technical Director @ MTBA

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
It all comes back to the way we want to have the sport perceived and the amount of media attention we can gain.
It's only one run, but this shifty regulation doesn't even make the slightest bit of logic in my head, anyone else make anything of it?

trouble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Lets be clear,

The helmet cam rule is strictly enforceable at UCI sanctioned events (Oceania's, most national rounds, national champs). This is the same with all UCI rules at these events, whether MTBA agree with them or not.

Ultimately a commissaire has the final say at an event; if he/she decides not to allow helmet cams that's their call.

I see the frustration and don't really agree with the rule, but it's beyond MTBA's control at the UCI events at least.

I didn't start this thread on hating, more of an understanding and to pass the knowledge onto others if it was official. To try and clear things up if you can confirm this; Because it was only a State event and not UCI or MTBA (national/Oceania) the decision is left up to the commissionaire, who obviously decided to rule on no use of helmet cameras in race runs.

Or because it is ONLY state level, were the organisers in the wrong and should we have been technically allowed to race with helmet cameras?

If you clear that last bit up Frenchie as you are on the inside and seem to have an official and current rule knowledge base. Cheers.
I'm hoping to get a crack at updating the regs soon so hopefully we can iron some of these inconsistencies out. Go easy on the MTBA hate- as a past hater myself now involved in the organisation, believe me we're all busting our guts for Aussie MTB.

Simon
Technical Director @ MTBA
I didn't start this thread on hating, more of an understanding and to pass the knowledge onto others if it was official. To try and clear things up if you can confirm this; Because it was only a State event and not UCI or MTBA (national/Oceania) the decision is left up to the commissionaire, who obviously decided to rule on no use of helmet cameras in race runs.

Or because it is ONLY state level, were the organisers in the wrong and should we have been technically allowed to race with helmet cameras?

If you clear that last bit up Frenchie as you are on the inside and seem to have an official and current rule knowledge base. Cheers.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Lets be clear,

The helmet cam rule is strictly enforceable at UCI sanctioned events (Oceania's, most national rounds, national champs).
So why is it being enforced at a State level event that has nothing to do with UCI?

Me thinks the Com is just throwing his wait around and someone needs to have a chat to him

Don't get me wrong Gaz is a good friend of mine, a great bloke and does a hell lot of the sport off his own back and the state series could no longer run with out him but taking a rule a that is clearly aimed at protecting media rights at World cup races and enforcing it at a state race is silly.

Last edited:

sprocket

Likes Dirt
looks like I'm moving to VIC to live and race then..

this is another odd rule, what happens if theres footage turn up of me racing on TV with out my permission, can I then go to the boardcaster and ask for a cut on what they made during the advertising while it was being shown? (I know this is a daft statement LOL)

because its plain as day that the rules inforced for state rounds have nothing to do with safty..

ok that was a bit left of field.... I'm going riding.

Last edited:

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
this is another odd rule, what happens if theres footage turn up of me racing on TV with out my permission, can I then go to the boardcaster and ask for a cut on what they made during the advertising while it was being shown?
No, for a number of reasons.

PS Have you actually read the event waiver/conditions of entry?