Helmet for a fat head

Delmar

Likes Dirt
Howdy all, I'm coming up for a new helmet, and need recommendations.

My trouble, you see, is that I've been afflicted with a fat head. Not so much wide as long. It looks pretty normal until I try and get a lid on it- then its only the biggest that fit (as in dont jam onto my forehead and give me a headache). Even when they do fit that way, they sometimes sit so high they look like dicky nees little blue cap.

So, what fits a fat (long) head? What sits reasonably low without looking like the millenium falcon is mounted on your head? If you happen to know where your suggestion is stocked, even better!

Any fellow sufferers found something?

This is for xc/enduro by the way, and I'm happy/keen to go highish end.

Cheers!

Harng Goh

Cannon Fodder
I have had similar issues with finding helmets. Large size doesn't always mean it's deep enough, and sometimes it ends up being too wide and still not deep enough.

Met Ippogriffo - pretty good fit but could be a little deeper. After a few years of use, it's been relegated to the dirt conditions/wet weather helmet.
Limar 909 - good fit and nice retention system which you can operate with one hand. Deep enough for my scone. My current regular helmet
Catlike Kompact - excellent fit for my head. Deep enough without making my head feel like a mushroom. Pretty darn expensive, otherwise I would already have one, but this might be my next helmet when the time comes.

Not sure if this matters to you but I think these were all roady helmets so they don't come with visors. They might come in MTB versions with visors.

Last edited:

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Another vote for Limar.
I have recently picked up a 960 and it fits better than any of the Bell, Specialized or Giro helmets that I have had in the past.

Delmar

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys, have noted those.

Just to be clear, sumgy, do you find you have a wide or long scone?

Keep em coming, thanks heaps.

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks guys, have noted those.

Just to be clear, sumgy, do you find you have a wide or long scone?

Keep em coming, thanks heaps.
Dont know for sure but am guessing long from front to back as I will have pressure pain in front and back if anywhere.

spewyogrady

Likes Dirt
I was having the same problems and got a large Giro eclipse a while back..seems fine..wasn't the MET called the Testa Grosso "Fat head" last year. "Predatore" must be sexier and not quite so derogatory. I think the Giro is 60-62 cm. 61-64 is pretty big.:)

Delmar

Likes Dirt
Good stuff, guys, thanks. I'm feelin the love from my fat headed bretheren. Only we know the pain of that 'fish eye' photo from the inside of a corner, where our heads look bigger than bloody mars.

Sounds like I'll be checking out the limar, as depth is a common problem.

Anyone happen to know a stockist (southern sydney/wollongong)?

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was having the same problems and got a large Giro eclipse a while back..seems fine..wasn't the MET called the Testa Grosso "Fat head" last year. "Predatore" must be sexier and not quite so derogatory. I think the Giro is 60-62 cm. 61-64 is pretty big.:)
I have had a couple of Giro's which fit OK but are more round vs oblong.
As a result I seemed to get a lot more side to side movement with them.
I find them OK on the roadie but not as good on the MTB.

skinya

Likes Dirt
limar in stock

rebel sports stock the limar lids, wollongong and shellharbour .I tried one on the other day as i was also blessed with outsized melon, cant remember which model but it was a mountain one,and thought it was more comfy then my expensive bell.For i think around $60ish might even get one my self.;)

Jaow

Likes Bikes
Giro for my oversized pumpkin

Hey Delmar - I've got a pumpkin for a head as well. I cant get my head into any Limars or Mets at all. The only luck I have is with the largest sized Giros and Bells. Currently running large (59-63cm) sized Atmos for the road and E2 for the mtb - both great lids. Giro's importer also do a decent crash replacement which I've unfortunately had to make use of - very quick and smooth service (but I think most brands have a similar service in Australia now).

Delmar

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the further feedback, fatheads. Always been keen on giro's looks, so that sounds good.

Has anyone seen Limar helmets for sale in Canberra? I tried one on at rebel sport but it was one of the lower end models which I was wasn't planning on getting. I have giro e2 but it is not a perfect fit my head being more oval than round.

mudslut

Likes Dirt
I'll see your large head and raise you a monster-noggin! We may have to have a scone-off yet.

The ONLY helmets I can cram onto my head (are all expensive) and are:

• Met Predatore (current). It makes my gargantuan head look even bigger but it is the best fit I've had in 10 years.
  • Giro E2 (past x2). Not as good a fit as the Met, but at least it went on!
  • Specialized Decibel - great fit (best of all 3) but the MET was half the price on special.
  • Some ancient Bell model that is no longer made. Had 2 or 3 of them before finally getting the E2 which was a waaaaaaaaaay more comfortable fit
Jam that on yer fat skull ;)

Delmar

Likes Dirt
Thought I'd follow this up. Kinda gave up a little while back- tried on some Giros (atmos), and that was the best fit ever for my head, but I couldn't come at the 400 asking price.

However wiggle has them for $160 at the moment (I know, support local and all that, and I try, but thats a huge price difference), so I ordered one over (free shipping over 200).

So light, so comfy, fits like a helmey should with no huge gap up each side and comes down far enough to avoid the dicky nee effect (see above). My huge head is happy...:)

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thought I'd follow this up. Kinda gave up a little while back- tried on some Giros (atmos), and that was the best fit ever for my head, but I couldn't come at the 400 asking price.

However wiggle has them for $160 at the moment (I know, support local and all that, and I try, but thats a huge price difference), so I ordered one over (free shipping over 200).

So light, so comfy, fits like a helmey should with no huge gap up each side and comes down far enough to avoid the dicky nee effect (see above). My huge head is happy...:)
Really??
I have one of those and it puts pressure on the front of my head which gives me a headache after a few hours.
I have gone back to my old Giro Xen.
Not approved in Australia but I dont care.
It is offically the most comfortable helmet that I have and I will be picking up a new one when I am in Vancouver in a few weeks.

Delmar

Likes Dirt
I guess your heads fat and mines obese? Just different, I guess.

But I have to say, you have a long head if its longer than mine...:)

eter

Likes Bikes
Fox Flux Large 61-64cm

I have tried a few in shops arund Melb and finally settled for Fox Flux Large 61-64cm. Give it a go. It's pretty roomy for MTB.

Hud

Likes Dirt
I have a head shaped like a watermelon tipped on it's end. I am also looking for a helmet that gives good coverage and didn't perch on the top of my head. Fox Flux was very comfortable and deep, but a little heavy, I may go for it yet. My brothers Bell is also good. You must try before you buy, suggestions are good but all heads are different..