Helmet Help

nizai

Likes Dirt
I have a question to all you farkineers, especially those a bit ofay with XC helmets. I guess you could say I have an odd shaped head. Whenever I pop the helmet on it looks a bit like its perched precariously on my noggin rather than sitting around it.

Was wondering if anyone knew of an XC helmet to look at that was a bit deeper in design so that it sits a bit lower down. Rather than going from shop to shop trying on every brand I can find.

Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks,

N

Makalu

Squid
My Giro E2 seems to be fairly deep (provided you get the right size as they're width is relatively thin compared some other brands).

funky

Likes Dirt
I've got a Bell Venture (Ventura????). Bought from City Bike Depot ($110). It seems to fit pretty low on my head. For me, it was the most comfortable (and still looks good ;) ), and I was prepared to spend the big biccies.

I only say that it sits low, because I was thinking of trying (next summer) one of those channel things that goes around your head to stop the sweat getting in your eyes. Looking at the pictures I've seen, most people seem to have more room (between helmet and eyes) than what I have.

GrubNut

Likes Dirt
Rather than going from shop to shop trying on every brand I can find.

Thoughts? Comments?
I think you should go to a bike shop and try every brand you can find. Cmon its not that hard. How many are there? Bell, Giro, Met,.... ummm.. limar, catlike, 661, What else? Stackhat?

Some Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Specialized Decibel has adjustable depth. The strap behind your head can be connected either higher and further forward to give a more perched fit, or connected further back and lower to drop it down lower on your head. Bad explaination, but it works well.

bazza

look at me
i have the same problem, running a giro monza atm and it sits fairly comfortably, although still a little high but thats just the way my head is i guess. just duck around to a few stores and try helmets on and check em out.

greasy reas

Likes Dirt
i would say the giro E2 as well, its a good design and fit when you have the right size of the E2, they have alot of adjustments and are very easy helmets and weigh literally nothing. but they do cost i think around the 200 range

triples

Likes Dirt
The avanti razor helmets in an XL are a deep sitting helmet, but are also average quality at $55. MET do a few helmets in XL and are much better qual

...jim

skanky media ho
I have a weird shaped head. Every helmet I've ever had kinda points off to the left. Mind you, no-one's ever commented. Some times you've just gotta ignore looks and suck this stuff back.

What is important is to get a helmet that fits properly. You should be able to snug it down, then not be able push it back over your head while the straps are done up.

Bodin

GMBC
I can't help with a positive answer, but in the negative, I can say don't buy a Bell Sweep - it's noticeably shallower than my previous Bell (can't remember the model name, sorry).

Pity, because in every other way, it's brilliant, but it just doesn't sit low enough on my scone. Based on Some Guy's comments, I wish I'd bought a Decibel. I do ride a Specialized after all.

I know that doesn't help very much, but hopefully it saves you some time...

bazza

look at me
also just noticed today because it had become undone was that my giro monza has adjustable depth with the back strap. I thought it was pretty rad. btw is there really a need for peaks on xc helmets or is it just a thing to do?

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
there are the new type of helmets that are aimed at the 'all-mountain' scene, which come down a bit lower at the back and sides. won't actually sit any lower, but will provide more protection around the head.

n plus one

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ancient motorcycling wise man once say there are two types of people in this world - those with Shoei shaped heads, and those with Arai shaped heads.

Hope this helps..........

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

But if not, you could try Limar 707 which seems to be a put-your-head-in fit as opposed to a put-it-on-your-head kinda' helmet.