Helmet Light Suggestions?

dangersean

Likes Bikes
I am looking to get a new helmet mounted light for night riding and I am not sure what to get...

HID Technologies - No longer makes lights
K-Lite - completely sold out
Radical Lights - a bit too expensive.

I am looking for something that works in a similar way to the brands above, minimal weight/size, minimum 1000 lumens, maximum $400 spend.

anybody got any reccommendations?

dangersean

Likes Bikes
Unfortunately I am shit at searching for stuff on the site, so I asked the question instead.
thanks for your valued input BTW.

John U

MTB Precision
Lupine Piko.

Don't be fooled by stated Lumens based on theoretical output, Lupine state actual measured output of the light.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Try these http://www.nitelights.com.au/index....&category_id=6&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1
I own two sets and to this day have not seen any lights on any trail that work as good as these anywhere near this price range. Honestly, you will be disappointed with your car headlights when driving home after your ride as this light is all you'll need. The battery life is great, I get over three hours on full beam and that battery has lasted me a full two years before I replaced it with the same model.
My point is you can get these lights and save a ton of cash from not buying a light that actually does less.

Ev

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Try these http://www.nitelights.com.au/index....&category_id=6&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1
I own two sets and to this day have not seen any lights on any trail that work as good as these anywhere near this price range. Honestly, you will be disappointed with your car headlights when driving home after your ride as this light is all you'll need. The battery life is great, I get over three hours on full beam and that battery has lasted me a full two years before I replaced it with the same model.
My point is you can get these lights and save a ton of cash from not buying a light that actually does less.
And you can get the same thing on eBay for like $50 each.

John U

MTB Precision
I tried the nitelights. They were cheap and put out a good spread of light. I used them for about 3 months be fore they died during a very wet commute home one night. That wet dark long walk home convinced me I needed the Lupines. They're not cheap, but they aren't that bad when compared in price and output to lights inexcess of $1000 dollars only 6 years ago. They have never let me down, even in the worst conditions.

Not sure how the nitelights go in the wet now but it would be a question worth asking if you intend riding in the wet at night.

redbruce

Eats Squid
I tried the nitelights. They were cheap and put out a good spread of light. I used them for about 3 months be fore they died during a very wet commute home one night. That wet dark long walk home convinced me I needed the Lupines. They're not cheap, but they aren't that bad when compared in price and output to lights inexcess of $1000 dollars only 6 years ago. They have never let me down, even in the worst conditions.

Not sure how the nitelights go in the wet now but it would be a question worth asking if you intend riding in the wet at night.
These are re marketed Magicshines (MJ 808). Light is actually very good for the price (I have 3 generation of these) and more than adequate for trail use BUT actual lumens are about 70% stated and batteries and chargers are poor. I also have the supposed 1400 lumen version (MJ 816) which is a capable unit (good spread, but heavy - used on bars).

Dogey batteries and crap chargers have encouraged me to purchase one of these for my helmet:

http://www.glowormlites.co.nz/products?product_id=24315

More money yes, but; low profile; high performance; quality battery (Panasonic) and charger; cheaper than similar quality lights; deliver stated output; really bloody good actually!

Use this on helmet and Magicshine (MJ 816 as per link in earlier post) on bars (with better quality aftermarket battery and charger - hmmm might as well just cough up for two glows).

In any case serious use requires a spread beam on bars and spot on helmet.

Even Magicshines make AY up look poor performance in $$ (and absolute) terms but more reliable. Quality units.

Comparison with others I ride with shows Glowlite equally capable in $ and performance.

Last edited: