Help a newbie choose some tyres please

doctr-dan

Likes Bikes
Hi guys,

I currently have Foxpuppets old stumpjumper http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/sho...mper-FSR-Comp&highlight=stumpjumper+foxpuppet sitting in the garage minus a few bits and bobs that migrated to his new s-works.
One of the minuses is tyres.
Being a newbie I have no idea what to get in this department or any other for that matter.
The wheels are setup for tubeless so I would like to go that way.
Chain reaction has a sale on tyres at the moment and was wondering If I could get some advice/recommendations on what to get.
My main trail will be Hornsby and other local trails with the odd outing to maybe Manly, St Ives, Blue Mountains.

Thanks

MudRhino

Likes Dirt
If your in a rush don't buy from chainreaction - you will be waiting for 3 - 4 weeks at the moment, and that's if your items ever shows up. After 5 weeks, and them having to resend everything (it got lost) - I still have nothing.

Okay - sorry, doesn't answer your question, but worth noting.

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey mate,

I'm local to your area.

Is racing a thing for you, or are you just riding for fun?

Is money an object?

Without any further input, I'd say, if money is no object:
F: Schwalbe Snakeskin Nobby Nic 26x2.25 R Schwalbe Snakeskin Racing Ralph 26x2.25

If money is an object:
F: ??? (maybe a Kenda Nevegel 26x2.35 or a Continental Mountain King 26x2.2) R: Kenda Small Block 8 26x2.1

Best,

Andrew

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
If your in a rush don't buy from chainreaction - you will be waiting for 3 - 4 weeks at the moment, and that's if your items ever shows up. After 5 weeks, and them having to resend everything (it got lost) - I still have nothing.

Okay - sorry, doesn't answer your question, but worth noting.
Really ? I ordered a new stem and Bar and got it less than a week on cup week .

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Really ? I ordered a new stem and Bar and got it less than a week on cup week .
Really depends on the delivery method.....
Looks like my order is also missing, but have to wait another working week to fill in the "missing" form!

Free delivery from Merlin and wiggle was delivered within a week!

As for tyres, we ride the same trails mentioned by the OP, I originally had Nobby Nics F&R, mates are running Nobby Nics F, Racing Ralph R, he loves them!

I have Conti race kings F&R now (came on a set of wheels i bought), but not had enough time on trail to give a recommendation yet!

doctr-dan

Likes Bikes
Hey mate,

I'm local to your area.

Is racing a thing for you, or are you just riding for fun?

Is money an object?

Without any further input, I'd say, if money is no object:
F: Schwalbe Snakeskin Nobby Nic 26x2.25 R Schwalbe Snakeskin Racing Ralph 26x2.25

If money is an object:
F: ??? (maybe a Kenda Nevegel 26x2.35 or a Continental Mountain King 26x2.2) R: Kenda Small Block 8 26x2.1

Best,

Andrew
Hey Andrew

The only thing Im racing at the moment will be my lungs jumping out of my throat! Ha ha
Is money a issue hmmm yes and no, I need a few other items to get the bike up and running as well so considering Im not going to kicking arse any time soon Im happy to save a bit on tyres as long as its not going to detrimental.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast

mattwilkinson

Likes Dirt
Don't cheapskate on your tyres...
I used to/have been buying $20 Wire continentals (Mountain King II, X-King)

And even when brand new I found they washed out really easily, Lately I have put on a bald racing ralph (much less aggressive tyre) and have also noticed a large improvement in grip and lots less slip, alas bringing a lot more confidence in cornering.

Can't wait to get my new UST Rubber Queen which should be nice to test out, even If it isn't the cheapest!

MitchD

Cannon Fodder
Tyre Advice

G'day mate,
Tires are essential to riding, consequentially the decision of which tire is essential. I believe the greatest brand out there is schwalbe, despite being expensive they are worth every penny. The great variance contained by Schwalbe is also important, faster tires such as racing ralphs, vary right up to hardcore downhill tires in Muddy Mary's. Although personally I would recommend the Nobby Nics, they are the best all-round tire out there, if its on the road, XC, or downhill it will be suitable.
I hope this helps,
Thanks,
Mitch

Capone

Likes Dirt
G'day mate,

Tires are essential to riding, consequentially the decision of which tire is essential. I believe the greatest brand out there is schwalbe, despite being expensive they are worth every penny. The great variance contained by Schwalbe is also important, faster tires such as racing ralphs, vary right up to hardcore downhill tires in Muddy Mary's. Although personally I would recommend the Nobby Nics, they are the best all-round tire out there, if its on the road, XC, or downhill it will be suitable.

I hope this helps,

Thanks,

Mitch

I'd say maxxis are the go to tyre. Cheaper and perform perfectly. There is a reason you see them on ever second bike. At the moment in using the advantage and its a great tyre. You also can go past the minion on a dh bike

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
. If value for money is a consideration (both long and short term) go Maxxis. Great tyres at good money, the schwobbles are Fantastic tyres, but exy to purchase and very fast wearing. Pushy's have Maxxis local, cheap and super quick delivery, I ordered a 2.4 highroller II and a 2.35 ardent, both in exo carcass (which you'll want for tubeless) for under $110 the pair delivered from Qld to Melbourne in 2 working days. A cinch to set up tubless, did mine in the back of the Ute at a servo in 10 minutes, then straight on to the trail. Schwalbe can be a bitch to seat on to some rims.

The Maxxis aspens I have on my hardtail for two years still look spankin, even the rear, an I cut some really sick skidz on it.
When the nobbies on my dually were due for a change I tried Maxxis, as at the price you can find them for it wasn't a big risk, haven looked back or missed the nobbies at all.

Have never tried Contis or Spesh myself but have heard a lot of good reports on them, although the Spesh are pretty dam expensive too.

Last edited: