Help from photo snobs

TWChikn

Likes Dirt
Howdy,
The photo snob thread seemed like it was for people who knew what they were doing and i could really be bothered going through several hundred pages of posts to see if anyone had asked in there.
How do i start photography?
i enjoy taking pictures, what would be the most useful tips/best ways to start off?
I'm in grade 10 and just wat to do it on the side for enjoyment, i/my family has a half decent Nikon digital camera, should i buy a new camera or what?
i honestly don't know where to start
Cheers

saMfish

Likes Dirt
What model is the Nikon camera? I myself am in Year 10, and I've just purchased a Canon 400D, which is a really good entry level D-SLR (Digital SLR).

kona4lyf

Likes Dirt
^^^^^

yeah what nikon camera do your family own???a D40 is what i started on and was/is a bloody good camera imo to learn on,then i jumped to a canon 1Ds then went back to nikon a D200 then a D300 nikon, best way to start is how your going,read up about the camera"s settings,get out there and practise/play,like mtb riding,all the practise you can get will help,also depends what you want to shoot,as diff camera"s work better in diff situations, you will get the hang of it if you play in manual mode and look at the pics/settings afterwards,or put it in ap/shutter mode and look what the camera does in diff lights and situations etc,nikon was for me,i liked the menu and just the camera and build,you can also use your family"s lense"s if they have some,thats if you stay nikon,otherwise just read up on the topic man,and most of all-ENJOY

TWChikn

Likes Dirt
cheers, its only a little digital one, uh, Coolpix L11
do you reckon i should go for a new camera?
also, i was hoping to shoot sport, landscapes, and portraits, i know its a wide range...

kona4lyf

Likes Dirt
^^^^^^^^^

arh ok,coolpix are a good little p&s, but if you want a good D-SLR to start a D400 or as someone said above a canon 400D,you want to try get one that you can build onto,also there a a few good camera"s out at the moment that are not nikon or canon that are priced well and are easy to learn. the things you want to shoot is pretty easily done with a kit lense to start with,then as you get better or want to play abit more look at diff glass and flash"s etc,
so have a look & read on a few camera"s so it minimizes the wide variety out there.

SpectRe

Likes Dirt
No matter what sort of camera you have or have access to...

1) Read the manual
2) Shoot
3) ...then shoot some more
4) Repeat steps 2 and 3

Reading a bit on the net and in books on specific subjects after you've had some experience can help, but get used to handling the camera first..
The biggest advantage with digital is you can afford to take a shitload of photos and be able to view your results without paying to have film developed. You'll be surprised with what you can learn from experience and your own mistakes.

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
Best thing to learn about photography is Light, and how to control/use it. I know that sounds boring, but it's the fundamental when it comes to Photography.

Don't get too confused with Shutter Speeds, apertures etc, just go and take HEAPS of photos, and take the same subject from different angles and notice how the light changes.

You have such an advantage these days by not having to pay for film and processing... take HEAPS AND HEAPS of images...

Sam.

Eats Squid
Best thing to learn about photography is Light, and how to control/use it. I know that sounds boring, but it's the fundamental when it comes to Photography.

Don't get too confused with Shutter Speeds, apertures etc, just go and take HEAPS of photos, and take the same subject from different angles and notice how the light changes.

You have such an advantage these days by not having to pay for film and processing... take HEAPS AND HEAPS of images...
That is some sound advice there, just one thing though. Shutter speed and apeture are to important factors to weigh in when controlling light, if you are using a flash, 1/60th will come very close to freezing the rider.