HELP! Full length housing issue- front derailleur 2005 stumpy FSR

DeBloot

Feeling old
I've resprayed my 2005 Stumpy FSR and thinking I was clever
I drilled out the down tube cable guide for the front derailleur to accept a full housing

I took the bike up to the shop to finish it off (you may gather I'm no bike tech wizard)
It seems I made a big mistake

I don't really understand what the problem is
But it seems without a guide for the cable (without the outer) it won't work
This will be a commuter and stand by trail bike and I don't want to go single ring
Guy at the shop said he would search for a suitable der. but had only seen them as a fix it for people in a similar situation

Can someone explain to me the problem in laymans terms
And suggest what may be a solution that won't cost me more than the bike is worth

The bike previously ran an open cable under the downtube, through a metal cable guide (this is what I drilled out)
It then went through a plastic cable guide that ran under the bottom of the bike and up to the der

Last edited:

mitchy_

Llama calmer
as per this pic, the rear has it's own 'cable stop' to keep the outer in place, on a front mech the frame does this job.

you can however (assuming your seat tube is round) get clamp on cable stops like so...

Last edited:

SummitFever

Eats Squid
As Mitch says you need a cable stop. You may be able to put something into the one you drilled out to give you the cable stop back. Some frames come with drilled out cable routing that you can put cable stops into if you don't run full length housing. You could even try using a spare barrel adjuster.

Gripo

Eats Squid
I've tried a bolt on cable stop like Mitch posted but found that it would "creep" on the frame and eventually make the cable tension slack.....it was on a carbon frame so it could have been me being too shy on torquing down the bolt...

DeBloot

Feeling old
stumpy cable guide.jpg

You can see the cable guide I have drilled out in the photo
There was a plastic guide running underneath to guide the cable up to the der.

Could I run the full housing through the guide that I drilled
Under the bike and then through the clamp on cable stop Mitch has shown

Does this solve the problem??

Last edited:

DeBloot

Feeling old
clamp on cable.jpg

Found the exact one in correct 34.9 size in the UK

So if I clamp this to the seat tube I'm good?

Final (I hope) newb like question

Can this be 'offset' slightly as the cable guide is on the LHS of the frame
Or will the slight 'offset' from left to middle not matter (if you know what I mean)

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Doesn't help you now, but the Gore Ride-On fully sealed kits are excellent, don't need to drill anything.

Gripo

Eats Squid
View attachment 274166

Found the exact one in correct 34.9 size in the UK

So if I clamp this to the seat tube I'm good?

Final (I hope) newb like question

Can this be 'offset' slightly as the cable guide is on the LHS of the frame
Or will the slight 'offset' from left to middle not matter (if you know what I mean)
Might have one if these in the parts bin....

Gripo

Eats Squid
Here DB, definately a 34.9mm, I can slip it into ordinary post for free but if you want xpress just the postage will do. Although if you have a LBS close by they might have one in stock, PM me what you want to do.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380796103.271629.jpg

DeBloot

Feeling old
Here DB, definately a 34.9mm, I can slip it into ordinary post for free but if you want xpress just the postage will do. Although if you have a LBS close by they might have one in stock, PM me what you want to do.

:hail:
Gotta love Rotorburn (most of the time lol)
There's not much you guys can't solve

Thanks heaps Gripper - I'll PM you in the morning when on better computer