Help - how to carry bikes in UTE

tmc_2

Likes Dirt
Hey Guys,

I am looking at buying at ute and was hoping people with Utes could please post me some pics. I really want to see pics of how you carry and secure your bikes in the tray!
I will be carrying 2 all mountain bikes and some times 2 DH bikes.

Thanks guys!

._._._._._.

Likes Dirt
Hang the front wheel over the edge, back end in the tray, leaving the bike upright. Line them up in a row. Make sure you put some foam/old carpet under though or you'll royally destroy your bike

Sean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Guys,

I am looking at buying at ute and was hoping people with Utes could please post me some pics. I really want to see pics of how you carry and secure your bikes in the tray!
I will be carrying 2 all mountain bikes and some times 2 DH bikes.

Thanks guys!
A mate on here (downhiller_1) has the best way ever of putting bikes into his ute.

Position them so the rear wheel is held in by the rear tailgate, and have the front wheels in the opposite corner or as close to the side as possible for each bike. (so the left bike has it's wheel on the left side, right on right etc.).

Then, grab a couple of tie downs, and run them from the base of the ute on opposite sides and strap the bikes down so that the suspension compresses a bit.

Bloody rock sold, and easy as to load them in too.

Ride.Dirt.Wake.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
+1 for wheel over tailgate.

Another idea, to stop scratches and the bikes moving around if you cant fill the tray, is tie them down. probably implied above..

I use the diagonal in tray method, as I only use one bike.

indica

Serial flasher

Have had 5 in, with the odd well placed glove there is no damage.

And have had police behind, never pulled over.

stringbean

Likes Bikes and Dirt

And have had police behind, never pulled over.[/QUOTE]

friends in their car had the bikes hangin out the back window and got a fine for not being able to see the plate, depends what mood the police are in.

As for how to tie them down, stand them up however thay fit and just tie down with a bit of rope. Also, a little known sectet is to put them upsidedown, works really well, just put some rope or something bettween the wheels to stop them spinning.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just beware that placing wheels over the tailgate and blocking the number plate CAN get you fined....On public roads I would be worried, but on fire-trails you should be alright.

One way is to put the bikes front wheel into a corner, tie the handlebars down so the suspension holds it, and then you just need something to hold the back of the bike down.

A better way is to make a rack, such as those seen in a bike store, where you put the back wheel into the rack, tie the front down and Bob's your uncle.

A way to get round the whole number plate covering problem, and secure/protect the bikes more is to create a wooden jig, which fits over the tailgate without covering the number plate, and has small holes cut out the top for down-tubes to sit in. This way you can also permanently put some rubber/foam there.

Another method I have seen is to use a wooden sheet with beams sitting spaced about tyre width. Wheels sit on their, and the wheels are held in place by the wooden beams. All you need is a bit of rope to stop the jumping out.

Red Peekay

Likes Dirt
Have had 5 in, with the odd well placed glove there is no damage.

And have had police behind, never pulled over.
Have done it this way lots of times, we use an old bit of carpet to lay over the tailgate. In Victoria you can get a bike rack number plate with your rego for about $29. You can tie it onto the bikes at the back to make your rego visible if your in Vic. Not sure for other states.

My only concern with laying the bikes over the tailgate is if you get rear ended by another car...... $$$$$$ ! :mad::mad:

mr636

Likes Bikes and Dirt

just made up a rack off the tow bar and padded it. sick shuttle rig!!

can also get a "ladder rack" made up for the rear tray for the same effect.