Help me choose a new bike?

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
Long story short - I currently ride a 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 0. It's not the bike for me. My riding is more XC oriented, but I don't want to go to a full XC rig - looking at something in the Trail category that's closer to the XC side than the AM / Enduro side.

This'll be my one MTB, so after a 'do it all' style bike. My version of 'do it all' is pretty damn tame though - I don't really get air, hit big drops etc...much of my riding is about survival ;) I'm planning to keep this bike for a good amount of time, upgrading parts as necessary (or not really necessary!)

I had my heart set on the new 2016 Trek Fuel EX 9.8 29'er - but they're not going to be available here until at least the end of November. Enquired about the 2015 model on sale, but nothing available in my size (19.5") No idea why a bike released in July takes four months to be available...but there it is. I really don't want to wait that long. Besides wanting shiny new things, I just don't fit the Trance properly - it's a size too small for me, and I'm over it.

So I'm now looking at other options. My basic shopping list is:

• Up to $6,000 budget
  • 29-er duel sus
  • Preferably carbon frame
  • 120-130mm travel
  • XC oriented geometry
  • Available to buy in weeks, not months...

So now I'm viewing this as an opportunity - what else is out there, possibly for a better price than a brand new model, that fits these criteria?

So far, these have caught my eye:

Scott Genius 910 - https://www.scott-sports.com/au/en/products/238256007/SCOTT-Genius-910-Bike/
Specialized Camber Expert Carbon Evo - http://www.specialized.com/au/en-au/bikes/mountain/camber/camber-expert-carbon-evo-29#specs

I've seen both on Bike Exchange in my size and budget, so hopefully with a cash sale could bargain locally too.

1x11 scares me a little, 'cause I don't really have the legs for it...but switching to a smaller chainring initially isn't such a big deal - I pretty much stay in the small chainring on the trail with my 2x10 setup anyway.

Any other ideas?

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Note that the Camber is also being run out - new 2016 model is on the way. I tried to get my hands on a large camber expert evo about 3 months ago and couldn't get one at the time. I imagine if you find one though you'll get a pretty good deal.

Edit: I'm in Canberra too, and there's only one spesh dealer here. At the time they had NO camber's and 1 stumpy expert (which now belongs to me). In Large anyway.

Last edited:

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
Note that the Camber is also being run out - new 2016 model is on the way. I tried to get my hands on a large camber expert evo about 3 months ago and couldn't get one at the time. I imagine if you find one though you'll get a pretty good deal.
Ahhh, that could be an issue then! I'd most likely be an XL (my Trance is a Large - regret that decision, and won't let myself be guided by shop staff who don't have a clue again!)

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Worth a buzz though, especially considering the cost of the 2016 models :shocked:

Calvin27

Eats Squid
1x11 scares me a little, 'cause I don't really have the legs for it...but switching to a smaller chainring initially isn't such a big deal - I pretty much stay in the small chainring on the trail with my 2x10 setup anyway.

Any other ideas?
Read this thread. http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/sho...pensive-bike-or-2-cheap-bikes-which-is-better

Most people were recommending 2 bikes for $2500 each. At your price, you could just get 2 at $3000 each. Why compromise?

On the chainrings, I've read switching to smaller rings (if significantly smaller) can affect suspension characteristics. I don't have a link and it's too late and I should be actually doing other work :p.

BorisBC

Likes Bikes
Are you dead set on a 29er? The Anthem Advanced SX sounds about right for what you're after but its only in 27.5.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
Read this thread. http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/sho...pensive-bike-or-2-cheap-bikes-which-is-better

Most people were recommending 2 bikes for $2500 each. At your price, you could just get 2 at $3000 each. Why compromise?

On the chainrings, I've read switching to smaller rings (if significantly smaller) can affect suspension characteristics. I don't have a link and it's too late and I should be actually doing other work :p.
I honestly don't think I'd be compromising, not with how I ride. A friend of mine has a Fuel EX 9, with 120mm travel - he utterly slays me down trails like Pork Barrel and Double Dis. I know my limits, and how far I'm willing to push them. I'm not now, or ever will be, the type of rider who would make use of a quiver of bikes. I really just want that one bike that I'm comfortable on, and if it can't handle some terrain then I probably shouldn't be riding that stuff anyway!

Are you dead set on a 29er? The Anthem Advanced SX sounds about right for what you're after but its only in 27.5.
I pretty much am. Before I had my Trance, I rode a Specialized Carve 29'er hardtail. It was the first real MTB I've owned, so started to learn to ride on that bike (at 37 years of age). I still have climbs that I struggle to do as quickly as I did on that bike.

I'm over 6" tall, and recently took a Fuel EX 9 29'er on a short test ride. It just felt like home - can't believe how comfortable it felt straight away. If I can't find anything as good, I'm going to have to resign myself to waiting until they're available - not willing to compromise this time!

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I'd hit up a cannondale scalpel. As far as XC bikes go, a cannondale lefty would be my pick. Only thing is you'd probably have to screw around to find/mod a 120mm fork. Any reason why you'd prefer more travel? I find 100mm more than enough and I am on the aggressive side of XC - I should ride a trail/AM but I can't climb lol.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Big fan of Turner

$6000- could buy you a great secondhand FS Camber/ fuel and a HT but I appreciate having the one bike.

Like the new Yeti but too expensive for what it is

How about a Tallboy LT C- buy a secondhand one for $4500 and wack on some carbon wheels.

I would go Specialized over trek but thats just me.

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/sho...15-Specialized-Camber-Elite-carbon-29er-Large

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?293971-Trek-Fuel-ex-9-9-Large-4500!!

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?293140-Specialized-S-Works-29er-Stumpjumper-2012-XL

Last edited:

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
I'd hit up a cannondale scalpel. As far as XC bikes go, a cannondale lefty would be my pick. Only thing is you'd probably have to screw around to find/mod a 120mm fork. Any reason why you'd prefer more travel? I find 100mm more than enough and I am on the aggressive side of XC - I should ride a trail/AM but I can't climb lol.
Ha, climbing is an area I struggle with as well...especially those long, bastard fire trail climbs. Planning to ride the Quarter Kowalski this year...really don't feel like doing it on my Trance!

The Lefty thing...I dunno, I've got no real reason to be biased against them, but when I see people riding them I honestly don't know how they manage to ride in a straight line :noidea:

You could be right too, 100mm may be all I need. I'm around 105kg riding weight though (also doesn't help with climbing!), so even with my less aggressive riding style, suspect I'm asking more of my suspension than the average rider.

Ibis Ripley - special blend.

Wont be as blingy initially but definitely upgradeable overtime....

http://www.defconcycles.com.au/product/ibis-ripley-ripley-ls/

Caveat - never ridden one but it is what my current lust is. Never read a bad review either.
Looks like the XL version is only available in the LS version, with geo on that bike more like my Trance, and yeah, the spec level seems low for the price. Yep, could certainly upgrade, but I'd be after the steeper head angle of the non-LS version if I went that way. Thanks for the suggestion though, never looked into these bikes before.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
The Lefty thing...I dunno, I've got no real reason to be biased against them, but when I see people riding them I honestly don't know how they manage to ride in a straight line :noidea:

You could be right too, 100mm may be all I need. I'm around 105kg riding weight though (also doesn't help with climbing!), so even with my less aggressive riding style, suspect I'm asking more of my suspension than the average rider.
I am about 100kg riding weight and hit max 2 foot drops (any more and I start bottoming out) so it should be more than enough for you. 120mm is much nicer though.

I hate the leftys as a concept and visually but after test riding one, they are on my list. Best XC fork on the market imo.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
I am about 100kg riding weight and hit max 2 foot drops (any more and I start bottoming out) so it should be more than enough for you. 120mm is much nicer though.

I hate the leftys as a concept and visually but after test riding one, they are on my list. Best XC fork on the market imo.
Thanks for that, good to hear I'm not the only heavy rider out there!

Too much choice out there!!

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
Big fan of Turner

$6000- could buy you a great secondhand FS Camber/ fuel and a HT but I appreciate having the one bike.

Like the new Yeti but too expensive for what it is

How about a Tallboy LT C- buy a secondhand one for $4500 and wack on some carbon wheels.

I would go Specialized over trek but thats just me.

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/sho...15-Specialized-Camber-Elite-carbon-29er-Large

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?293971-Trek-Fuel-ex-9-9-Large-4500!!

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?293140-Specialized-S-Works-29er-Stumpjumper-2012-XL
Thanks for that. Yeah, for what I do, and how I ride, one bike will be enough (heresy, I know!)

Certainly not against going 2nd hand for the right bike either. Getting my size 2nd hand could be a limiting factor...pretty sure I should be an XL in most bikes.

Lapierre Zesty TR829?

BMC Fourstroke?
The Zesty's one I've considered. Anyone got any idea how reliable the E:i shock system is?

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If only that new Cannondale Habit wasn't 27.5.

Kona have a new Hei Hei 'Trail' coming out which looks to be right where you want it, only it's alloy for now.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's a lovely position to be in, and well done for being able to commit to one bike (more than I can do!)

As a Trek Fuel EX 29 owner I'll tell you it's a very versatile bike, happy climbing and descending in equal measure. I'm 1.93m, on an XXL and 95kgs and love it to death.
The Scott Genius is a nice bike but I don't really feel that the spec is as strong for the money as some Giant, Specialized, Trek bikes (just an observation).
Their Twinlock is very handy though and I used it a lot on my Genius LT and Spark.
It might be worth looking at the Spark as it's very capable for a 100mm bike, and the chip in it allows for Geo changes.

Pivot 249 trail is a beauty, they're cheaper than the SL models too.

The Camber is a wonderful bike too, two mates had / has one and they both slay on it.

Santa Cruz Tallboy (LT is apparently no longer available?) Never ridden one but they review well I hear.

Niner Jet RDO is a wonderful looking bike and very quick but I read that the HTA is rather steep so it'll make its presence known going down trails. Depends on how you want your ride to feel.

Could you not get a Yeti ASR-C for that money? Granted you'll have to hunt to get the spec you're likely to be after but that is supposed to be a wonderful ride. Actually, forget that. Never going to happen, way too expensive.

How about the Rocky Mountain Instinct? They're beautiful!

You couldn't prise my Fuel from my hands though, it's lovely!

Last edited: