Help me choose a new bike?

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
It's a lovely position to be in, and well done for being able to commit to one bike (more than I can do!)
Haha, thanks! My riding needs are pretty simple - if I can head out to Stromlo / Kowen / Sparrow / Majura on the weekend, and get a couple of before work rides at Bruce Ridge on the weekdays, I'm a happy man. Then throw in some of the more casual events like the Mont, Kowalski, Tathra Enduro, and I'm laughing. Never been a downhill rider, and most likely never will be - so for me, finding the elusive 'one bike to do everything' shouldn't be impossible, 'cause my 'everything' is a lot less than someone else's!

Loving all the suggestions, thanks everyone. If nothing else, it's helping me waste time when I should be working, by lusting after bikes! At least when I get to head out and look at stuff, I'll know what I'm looking at, and which models fit with what I'm after.

And yeah...Yeti are f'ing expensive!

Calvin27

Eats Squid
If nothing else, it's helping me waste time when I should be working, by lusting after bikes! At least when I get to head out and look at stuff, I'll know what I'm looking at, and which models fit with what I'm after.
For some of us, helping someone with a new bike purchase is as close we are going to get to that dream bike for a while at least.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
My riding needs are pretty simple -Stromlo / Kowen / Sparrow / Majura on the weekend, and get a couple of before work rides at Bruce Ridge on the weekdays, I'm a happy man. Then throw in some of the more casual events like the Mont, Kowalski, Tathra Enduro, and I'm laughing. Never been a downhill rider, and most likely never will be - so for me, finding the elusive 'one bike to do everything' shouldn't be impossible, 'cause my 'everything' is a lot less than someone else's!
Sounds like you're actually after a hardtail!
Air9 RDO
Open 1.0
Yeti ARC

Get a nice compliant seatpost and a plush fork (Cough Formula 33 Cough) and you're away.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
Sounds like you're actually after a hardtail!
Air9 RDO
Open 1.0
Yeti ARC

Get a nice compliant seatpost and a plush fork (Cough Formula 33 Cough) and you're away.
Haha - believe me, I'm not! Last year's Mont I accidentally left the shock locked out for half a lap...damn near killed me :) I know that I probably sound a bit vague about what I'm after in all this, and some of my requirements mightn't be as set as I thought, but the soft tail is a non-negotiable!

Grover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is there an event you want to do between now and when the Trek will be available?

In all honesty I'd wait.
- New Boost frame/fork - probably a good think at your height/weight.
- Comes with Fox 34, not the noodly 32 of most bikes in the category - again, good at your height/weight.
- DRCV Re:Activ shock is AMAZING
- 11 speed XT will be a flawless group

Everything about that bike is new technology. It will not get old quickly.

If you must have a new bike before you can get what you want then ring around Trek dealers in Canberra. One of them should have a demo model of the old 9.8 in a 19.5".
Or enquire with Rowney Sports - they may have a demo model of the ASR at your budget. They're 120 front, 100 rear, 69degree head angle.

I've attached some pictures to remind you to wait. Does it look better in the day or at night?

fuelexlight.jpg
fuelexdark.jpg

Last edited:

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
Is there an event you want to do between now and when the Trek will be available?

In all honesty I'd wait.
- New Boost frame/fork - probably a good think at your height/weight.
- Comes with Fox 34, not the noodly 32 of most bikes in the category - again, good at your height/weight.
- DRCV Re:Activ shock is AMAZING
- 11 speed XT will be a flawless group

Everything about that bike is new technology. It will not get old quickly.

If you must have a new bike before you can get what you want then ring around Trek dealers in Canberra. One of them should have a demo model of the old 9.8 in a 19.5".
Or enquire with Rowney Sports - they may have a demo model of the ASR at your budget. They're 120 front, 100 rear, 69degree head angle.

I've attached some pictures to remind you to wait. Does it look better in the day or at night?
Yep, going to do the Kowalski in September, and really REALLY didn't want to do it on the Trance!

In any case, the question has been answered, and I have a shiny new bike in the shed. It's a Trek Fuel EX Project One build. Didn't think I'd be saying that any time soon!

A LBS had built up an alloy version of the Fuel EX, which I've test ridden a couple of times now, and it just felt perfect to ride. I've spent the past week riding as many bikes as I could, and nothing felt as comfortable as this one did - carbon or not. When I bought my Trance, it was a rushed buy, and I've always regretted it. I was determined not to do that this time around, but every bike I rode ended up getting ranked against this one, and they all fell short.

Comes with full XT gear (brakes plus 2x10 drivetrain), a RockShox Revelation RCT3 fork, Bontrager Rythm Elite wheels and hubs, and a pretty unique colour scheme that's gonna mean I never have to wonder which bike is mine!

Can't wait to get it out on the dirt and put it through its paces.

Pics are pretty crappy, but should give you the idea...

IMG_9892.jpg

IMG_9893.jpg

IMG_9894.jpg

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I've never been a fan of Trek's Project one (seemed over priced for me... actually I am just pov to be honest) but I gotta say, that colour scheme is very very nice. Happy riding mate!

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
Cheers guys!

Yeah, there's no way I'd ever have gone and built up my own bike in Project One...not this side of winning the lottery anyway. But seeing as someone else had done all the work for me, had it for a good price, and it was actually available, well here I am!

I wasn't sure on the colour scheme initially, but the more I look at it, the more I like it. I've heard other people praising the paint finish on Trek bikes, and they're right, it's an incredibly good finish. Until I stack it!