Help me spec my driveline

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
Hey guys, so the old driveline is nearing the end of its useful life and it's time to start accumulating the new parts. I want to switch from my current 2x9 setup to 1x9 using shimano gear.

Best value? I was thinking xt with shadow+ rd.. not too fussed with 10speed (I don't think I'll need a 36t 1st gear) but if the price is the same then why not.

Can I get away without a chainguide if I get the clutched derallieur? The bike is a merida 120 so 120mm rear sus. If not what's the best value for money?

Finally, I'm not one for pulling my bike down weekly or even at all.. I need a good solid cassette, chain and chainring combo. I currently have a 40t big ring and I'm gonna go 36t (unless someone convinces me 38 is the go) but brands?

Sorry for all the questions but it's been ages since I've owned a bike and even longer since I've owned one with gears so I need all the help I can.

Cheers

Tim

miko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Are the clutched derailleurs available in 9 speed? With SRAM I'm pretty sure that they aren't, I couldn't be sure about Shimano. I haven't tried them either, so I'm not sure how well the clutch works. I'm still in the land of running a chain guide.

Seeing as you're replacing most things anyway it might be time to think about the shift to 10 speed. I have a lot of luck with Shimano gear for drive train. XT level cassettes are awesome. Even SLX would probably be good, but I have an alloy freehub so I like the larger cog carrier of the XT. SLX/LX or above chains are great too and get a lot of k's. I've also done OK with an e.13 chain ring, but this is the only single ring chain ring that I've used. I'm sure someone else will have a better suggestions.

I run 36T and have done since the days of 44T big rings. I do not miss the 44T at all, 36T is the way to go.

In summary, XT level is the go. Do a bit of research about the clutched Shimano derailleurs being 9 speed compatible, and wait for someone to chime in with a good front ring suggestion. :)

willsy01

Eats Squid
If you want Shadow+, you don't have a choice but to go for 10sp.......you'd be mad not to go 10sp anyway if you're replacing everything.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Shimano SLX M675 10spd double chainset
Shimano XT M786 Shadow+ 10 spd RD (or you could go the much cheaper M640 Zee Shadow+)
XT 10spd Cassette
KMC X10 73 chain (I can't stand Shimano chains)

About $360 all up I'd reckon

Capone

Likes Dirt
Shimano XT M786 Shadow+ 10 spd RD (or you could go the much cheaper M640 Zee Shadow+)
XT 10spd Cassette

Try and run full XT, its works so well and is pretty well priced.

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
XT 10spd Cassette

This used the route I think I'll be going. . Just need a nice light chainguide.. e13?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
So what's the difference between the hg62 and the hg771 cassettes? Is double the price worth it?
Bigger holes + alloy spiders make the M771 lighter, but you also get a different surface treatment on the sprockets which is harder-wearing and more corrosion-resistant than the cheaper cassette.

You can also get cassette options with 32 & 34t big sprockets, which give really sweet tighter cassette ratios if you don't particularly fancy a 36. :smile:

Last edited:

charlieking97

Likes Dirt
I run a x9 derailleur without a clutch to a xx 10sp cassette just using an ethirteen lg1+ guide up front over a 32 tooth ring and it runs perfectly straight up. You can use the same guide for up to 36 tooth rings so it would be perfect for you

Edit - you can also get ahold of 36-40 lg1+ guides too

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
So was thinking about skimping on the chainguid e for now and just locking out the fd that's on there now in the ride the right spot. I can't see any issues this working.. has anyone done this? I future with shadow+ I won't need the tensioning roller?

Shredden

Knows his goats
So was thinking about skimping on the chainguid e for now and just locking out the fd that's on there now in the ride the right spot. I can't see any issues this working.. has anyone done this? I future with shadow+ I won't need the tensioning roller?
I did this, if you use a front ring designed for one gear and the clutch derailleur you will be fine. I have a renthal ring with a clutched saint derailler and my chain stayed on fine for a few days riding after i smashed the bottom of my lg1+ off.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Quote Originally Posted by silentbutdeadly
XT 10spd Cassette

Try and run full XT, its works so well and is pretty well priced.
My suggested spec has everything XT where it matters. BB bearings are the same in SLX as XT...as are (I think) some of the chainrings. So why spend double (or more) on a chainset to save bugger all weight and get no better durability?

Equally, Old Mate could grab a new X9 RD with the roller clutch but as I have one...I'm not convinced I'd recommend it as yet. It works as advertised but the clutch is finicky in operation - for instance mine locked almost solid when it sat there without a rear wheel for two weeks.

frensham

Likes Dirt
Am I missing something here? You currently have 3 x 9 and want to go 1 x 9. So, why is everyone speccing 10 speed gear? If you buy the 10 speed stuff you will also need to buy new 10 speed shifters.

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
Ok.. so thanks for all the feedback. Just finished ordering everything tonight. Gone with the xt shadow+ mech, zee shifter, slx cluster, km10 chain and a red blackspire 36t ring..

Gonna keep my old front mech locked out over the new chainline as a chain device. Might upgrade if it is necessary but I rarely drop chains now (even with a flogged out drivetrain) so shouldn't be an issue with a fresh mech and the clutch system.

$220 for a whole new drivetrain? Thats how it's done

knob scortcher

Likes Dirt
I had my kmc chain snap in the middle of busy intersection. I was only a 2 minute walk from home. so i left it there and came back a few hours later and picked my chain up it had moved about 2 meters from it original place. chucked it back on and its still going strong 6 months/2500km later.