HELP!!! My laptop is not well!

Ryan Hotdog

Likes Dirt
Calling all computer nerds!

My laptop has been playing funny buggers over the last week. I-tunes crackles and the mouse goes crazy so it cant be controlled on a horizontal axis.

Today i was downloading Perspective 2 when i go to the toilet. I get back and the screen is black except for this:

1782- Disk Controller Error

Then that screen changes and it comes up saying that there is a non-systems disk in the drive and i need to replace it and press any key (where the hell is the any key? jks). So i take out whatever disk is in there and press a key.

No Joy.

I turn computer off then on. Still stuffed.

Whats wrong with my computer. Im 100% sure i dont have any viruses and i scan all my prawn for bugs n what not before opening.

Any Ideas?

Cheers in advance.

BTW my username is kizza01, this is my brothers account.

treggs

Treggs Tuned
That sounds suspiciously like a hard drive failure. It says non system disk because the bios is looking for a disc to boot from that isn't there. Try booting of any bootable cd/dvd you have and see if you can read the hard drive. If not you might need a new one...

kyleman

Likes Dirt
try starting up the computer with the xp disk in and go into bios and change the first something(not entirely sure cbf checking) to cd/dvd instead of hdd and sort of re-install xp. or just run it off the disk.
Or just take it back if youve got warranty 'cus you dont want to go messing round with it.

Martin.au

Likes Dirt
Lol, if he buys a Mac then his current laptop is on the dole...

I'd guess it's the hard drive from what you said earlier. Could also be general hardware failure. Probably best to get someone who knows PC's to have a look at it.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
yep. its committed suicide as it knows it will never be as cool or reliable as a Mac

jamit

Likes Dirt
To find out how bad it is:
1) Try booting into the BIOS once in it will show you info on your system to do this turn your laptop of and on you should get a message like enter system setup hit key 'x', 'x' could be anything but normally one of the Function keys like F1, F2,...F12 on some systems it can be the DEL key .
2) See if it is detecting the Harddrive (HDD) somewhere int he BIOS it will show you the system configuration like CPU Memory and HDD details.
3) It should show make and model and also size (e.g. 20Gb 40Gb 60Gb)
4) Some manufactures include a HDD testing tool in the BIOS look out for this and try running it it may tell you how bad things are.
5) If it is showing the HDD information you could be luck and be able to retrieve your information if it does not you are up for a new Laptop harddrive and the pain of lost data.

Is it worth spending money to fix:
1) How old is your laptop is is still under warranty? Get the vendor to replace the HDD, but read Recovering Data before speaking with the Vedor.
2) If it is out of warranty buy another HDD and start from scratch. e.g. install Operating System (OS) and applications.

Recovering Data:
This is where it you need to make the decision on how much your data is worth to you read on if you are willing to spend $20-30 on your data.
Note: If your laptop is under warranty do not contact the vendor until you have completed the below process as they will take the old HDD away.

1) Buy a laptop HDD enclosure from ebay. Link(make sure you get the right connection type (e.g. some new laptops are now coming with SATA drives but if your laptop is 12months old you would be safe to say it is not SATA see attached image for identifying type)
2) Once you have received the enclosure from Ebay Seller remove the HDD from your laptop and install it in the HDD enclosure. Note so manufactures put a additional connector onto there HDD e.g. DELL just remove this, being careful not to bend the pins.
3) Find a mate with a PC or laptop and connect the HDD enclosure to the USB port.
4) WAIT, if the drive is still working it should be detected by the OS as a USB drive it may take a minute or 2 to install.
5) If your HDD is still work you should be able to browse the files and folders on it any of the information you want to recover copy it to the PC or Laptop that it is connected to.
6)
7) Get you mate to burn the information to disk or once your laptop is repaired connect to it via a network and copy the data back.
8) If your laptop is under warranty put the HDD back into the laptop again being careful not to bend the pins on the drive.
9) Log the call with the vendor and have the HDD replaced. (do not tell them that you removed the HDD as it may void your warranty ;-)) or if it is not under warranty install new purchased harddrive and install OS.

10) Good LUCK ;)

JAMIT

Attachments

Last edited:

kizza01

Likes Dirt
I'm surrounded !!! Ahhh

Did you try booting with a CD/DVD? Result?
Im trying to find the the disk. The computer is a HP and isless than a year old, so i think its under warrenty. Fucked if i know where the warrenty card it though.

Dads got a XP disk somewhere i think. The last week has been characterised with it taking minutes to load up when i turn it on. Now its stuffed.

Ill take the warrenty option i think, if i cant find the card, dad will be able to get his credit card recipts i hope.

kizza01

Likes Dirt
If its a HP the BIOS is normally F10 and they do include a HDD self test in the BIOS.
Cheers ive got it infront of me and im goin into the ROM based setup and ill have a look for this HDD self test. ill get back to you in a few mins.

kizza01

Likes Dirt
OK i just did the HDD self test on 'notebook hard drive' and 'Drive does not support Self-Test' came up.

I think this mean the HD is fucked does it not?

jamit

Likes Dirt
OK i just did the HDD self test on 'notebook hard drive' and 'Drive does not support Self-Test' came up.

I think this mean the HD is fucked does it not?
I have seen this before and the HDD was ok, I have just thought of another thing you can try and if you can go to the HP site and download the Diagnostic software. This normally builds onto a couple of floppy disks and then boot of these and run the HDD Diags from the floppy. Thats if your laptop came with a floppy drive.