Help needed about buying new forks

supermajo1

Likes Dirt
i need some help with buying a new pair of Forks.
i snapped my forks on my dj and now i need a new pair of forks.
but i dont heaps about them.
all the good shocks have different axles and then would i have to buy a new hub or wheel?

i had a pair of rst launch forks that came stock with the bike.
it had a quick release axle.
i ride dj/dh on the same bike so i was looking to get forks a little bit bigger .
the forks were 100mm and i was looking a getting a pair of u-turn forks that are 115mm - 160mm.
or a different pair was 95mm - 140mm.

can someone please help?

mtb_coop

Likes Bikes
price range?

Personally for dj's i prefer to use forks that are 100mm or less. Larger travel forks cause you to lose speed.

supermajo1

Likes Dirt
my price range is around $500
the only reason i dont want jump forks is because i use it for downhill as much as jumping

Rid3R13

Likes Dirt
I just sold a set of U-Turn Pikes, have a look in in the for sale section, there is some pretty nice stuff in there. Search 'Pike' they go to 140-95 so you get best of both worlds

supermajo1

Likes Dirt
allright buying new forks isnt really the problem
the real problem is that most forks have 20mm axles and i would need a new hub or wheel.
that is what i need help with

whiteman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pikes would be your best bet.
However you would need to buy a new 20mm front hub or a whole new front wheel with a 20mm hub. Buying a cheap second hand wheel is probably the best of the two options because if you get just the hub you will also need to pay for new spokes and labour for the wheel build. It could quite easily cost more than second hand wheel.

t

Likes Bikes and Dirt
^ +1

20mm was developed because QR doesn't cut it for downhill and DJ

check the axel-crown height of the RST forks, you don't want to go too much higher than that or your bike will ride weird. like someone above said a 95-140mm pike gives you the best of both worlds, wind it up for DH and trail, wind it down for DJ and street.