Help Needed; my Maxle is seized into my Pikes!

will...

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Okay, today when I was putting on my front wheel, my Maxle started to act oddly. It started when it hit the Maxle wouldn't spin the last 180 degrees when it reached the end of the thread in the forks. I've attached a picture of what i mean. Then I did it up, and now it wont move out of place. I can undo the end of it, but it's not going anywhere as far as threading it out goes. I bought them from Torpedo 7, and I would happily send the forks to them, but I don't want my wheel still attached. I will be writing an email to Torpedo 7/Sram, to see if it is a Warranty Job, but for the meantime I'm stuck with no forks. Has anyone else had this problem with the 409 Airs? They are the 06 model. I was riding in a little but of mud/rain today, would that have done anything?

So, has anyone else had problems like this?

Any ideas on getting the Maxle out? I don't care how, I will happily buy a new Maxle so I can ride again.

Cheers,

Will.

Normally Positioned Maxle:

Currently Fucked Maxle:

Sorry about shit pics.

Oh and by the way, is anyone on here from Sram? Could you tell me if this is a warranty job?

Attachments

Last edited:

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Have you tried clamping the lever with a spanner or pliers and try reefing it loose?
thats not the problem. the lever will go to the "unlocked" position fine, but the maxle itself will now now unthread. as in you cant turn it, its just stuck... and in a fucked up position, too

custard

Banned
like i told you will, have a teaspoon of cement and harden the fuck up. you too leitch, soft.. ohhh my maxle is stuck, ohhhh.. cry cry cry.. :p

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
like i told you will, have a teaspoon of cement and harden the fuck up. you too leitch, soft.. ohhh my maxle is stuck, ohhhh.. cry cry cry.. :p
"boo fucking hoo, my shock is leaking oil and my linkage is knocking" sound familiar?

anyway, back to the maxle

v1llage1d1ot

Likes Dirt
Maxle

I had the same problem with my Marzocchi forks (AM SL1s). The axle is slightly different, but pretty much the same principle. I think you have to undo the screw bit at the end as much as you can. I had to get pliers on to mine. Then, I had kinda of move the lever part so it was pushing on a different part of the axle at the top (if that makes sence) you can kinda spin the inside of the axle against the outside.

It was wet when my axle fucked up too. Maybe a little water gets in there and kinda hydrolocks it up.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Although the stuff is pretty terrible on bike components, WD-40 may be just enough to free it up. If it does free up, give it a good scrub with soapy water to get any grit out of it.

will...

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok, I've undone the end, nothing happened, and I'll try the WD40 tomorrow. I am told by a mate that the end of the axle/forks is probably semi-threaded and is stuck. I just hope Torpedo 7 didn't take off the serials. How much are new lowers, anyway?

will...

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wow this is a 14 yr old emo kid bitchfest.
Yeah mate heard of a joke....

Anyway, I screwed around with the Maxle today, took it apart and flipped it around so now it pointing up, however isn't moving anywhere still. I've emailed CRC to see if they could get me lowers cheap, but thats a last resort as i would have to hacksaw the Maxle into bits to get the wheel out.

Any ideas?

S.

ex offender
I don't like your chances of getting warranty:
a) you bought it through Torpedo 7 and thus it's almost certainly an OE model rather than an aftermarket one
b) it's probably not a warranty issue to begin with, unless this was the first time you used the forks and they've done this.

How hard have you tried to unthread it? Have you gotten a pipe onto it or something for more leverage?

supergayracer

Likes Dirt
Dude, take the lever part out of the maxle, look in side the maxle on the right hand side there should be an 8mm allen key socket, use a 8mm allen key to unscrew the maxle gripped and sorted! oh yeah and chuck some wd 40 on it before you start. make sure you grease the maxle threads before reintsalling it yo!