help? tight wrist!

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
Hey burners. I put this in somewhere else but had not love, so I'm reposting here to try and get your help.
I've been riding for about 6 months and noticed that my right wrist gets a bit tight / sore after a ride. Doesn't matter if it is mtb, road or spin. Could it be one or more of those bikes is not set up correctly for me, and then riding at all exacerbates the problem? Or maybe I need to develop my forearms for the rigours of riding (I usually do a few laps of Appin every weekend)? I didn't originally think riding would require much effort of the upper body but I have rethought that. I plan on trying some new spongy grips as suggested in another forum. I have looked at my setup and I'm pretty comfortable. Maybe I need to try to keep my elbows bent? I haven't really noticed that I lock them up, and I still have a bit of stiffness on the spin bike. Any advise greatly appreciated :)

strika

Likes Bikes
It sounds like it could be a little tendonitis or even a little arm pump. Try relaxing your grip a little. As a guide, the end shouldn't turn purple. :biggrin:

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If this is happening on 3 different setups inc spinning, then grip tension, brake and shifter position/reach and possibly even grip thickness is not likely to be to blame. Can you get a pic to see if you are symmetrical to explain why it is just the right side?

If you are positioned well with relaxed arms, elbows out a bit (speaking MTB here rather than road), then think back in case there has been an old injury that may have left a bit of instability in the mid-wrist joints - a sprain that didn't settle fast. Wrist instability can lead to arthritis in the long term.

You say it is stiff after riding. Pain rather than stiffness could be from your neck or a tight upper back as well. Also, on the spinner and when you can otherwise, try riding with your hands on the ends of the bars or even upside down to see if that relieves it. Perhaps a physio who treats triathletes or cyclists could help.

rone

Eats Squid
I saw the title and wondered how quickly the thread would descend into innuendo. Did not disappoint.:biggrin:

Try laying your arm over a flat surface with your hand hanging over the edge, palm facing down. Gripping a small weight, roll your wrist back (as if opening a throttle) repeatedly. Start small at first but increase weight and frequency over time.

Also helps for tennis elbow. This could be a carpal issue, so don't mess if you're not certain. Seek proper advice. Not a bunch of blokes on an MTB forum.

Capt.Gumby

Likes Dirt
Something to consider...

Check your saddle angle. If the nose tilts down, even the smallest amount, pushes your body forward and you will find you be pushing back against the bars to counter act it and you will feel it in the wrists and palms.

mella060

Likes Dirt
Yeh i have had a similar issue for a while now. Not sure if it is similar to yours but after going for a ride, be it MTB or road, i generally end up with a sore right wrist. It does seem to be at the base of the thumb. I have been to a physio and my right wrist is a lot weaker then my left.

They think it could be something like De Quervain's tenosynovitis

http://www.medicinenet.com/de_quervains_tenosynovitis/article.htm

De Quervain's tenosynovitis is inflammation of tendons on the side of the wrist at the base of the thumb.

Physio recommends to rest your arm on a flat surface such as the arm of a chair with your hand hanging over the edge. Start with a tin of baked beans and gently rotate your hand up and down until you fatigue.

Then maybe get a 1kg dumbell and do the same.

driftking

Wheel size expert
If it was me I would be thinking about a few things:

1. Any Previous or potential RSI/arthritis/CTS/tendonitis that is flaring up everytime you use the bike.
2.Set up including bar, seat, riding position, bike fitment, arm/wrist angles when riding and how they relate to position.

I would personally hit up the doctors, it's the only way to get a definitive answer, it may be nothing. But it could be a muscular,skeletal,tendon or ligament issue and the treatment is going to differ between them I would expect.

I would rest up until I get it checked out but a DR and meanwhile look at your all around set up and riding position to look for any weaknesses.

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
Update

Firstly thanks Burners! Feels great to be part of something good.

Driftking have never had wrist issues in the past. I used to do a good bit of climbing but that was a while ago now and no issues then either.

mella060 it does seem to be at base of thumb. I got the light bar out and exercised over a table. No pain so I will stick with this exercise. If I hold my wrist a certain way there's a bit of clicking so ill concentrate on keeping it straight.

captgumby I checked saddle with a spirit and I'm pointing up, nose is about 8 mm above lowest point along saddle, and the nose is about 10 mm above handle bars. What you said made me think same if seat is way too high. Do you think that's reasonable?

3viltoast3r I checked before my ride today and it seemed they were pointing further down than that. Hard to do perfect by myself but adjusted up a bit. Seems to have helped a lot actually. Was thinking about it and it makes sense. The forward position is forcing the weight onto my thumb not the heel of the hand. Thumbs up to this bit of advice!

rone tried the waits as above

Ripenparadise no prev significant injuries but going to try different grips to mix it up on the spinner.

strika yeah maybe a bit of over gripping :) of the bars.

I think that riding Appin all the time is a bit of a contributor. And I struggle to reach down and lock or unlock much so I find myself doing the lot in half lock on a trance with 5 inches when open. Might be time to invest in remote? Today at least I opened it for the biggest dh each lap, the bike was totally different, just soaked it up, the next lap I took it faster and it was even smoother. Loved it. I'll keep up some gentle weights and try to get a bit of climbing in too. And if pain persists ill see a physio! Thanks to everyone for your contributions! :clap2: