Help with jumping

Roly

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hey everyone,

ive been riding for a while now but seem to have hit a dead-end with my jumping. I always seem to tilt sideways when in the air, and never manage to tilt back. this has landed me in concussion with a fractured cheekbone once on one jumping session, so my confidence level has therefore decreased since. I have been trying to fix up this problem lately. So far i have realised it is because i am too stiff in the air, but i can't seem to work on 'loosening up'.

if any DJers out there have any pointers for being loose in the air and going bigger, that would be great.

thanks guys :)

avablast

Likes Dirt
Dont concentrate to much on the jump lossen up a bit by telling uself u can do it its all confidence after a while u can pretty much control any situtation in the air reflexes help alot but alot is subconcous thinking where say u conciously tell uself u gonna make it get the confidence sumthing happens then ur subconcious thoughts tell u to correct or bail rather then concously thinking ur fucked and freezing up if u concentrate to much on a jump u have to much concious thoughts goin thru ur head and arent gonna be loose enough to correct or bail in certain situations ie: loop out or angle landings.

billy b

Likes Bikes
if i was in your situation i would just hit up the smaller sets (if there is any if not...just any jumps then:D ). and just try to lean the oposite way:rolleyes: and just keep practicing till you get em sweet...:cool: . or you could try to whip it just to stop the leaning..

hope it helped

Joy

Likes Dirt
it's the ol' murphy's law coming into play again i think. if you think anything can go wrong, it usually will.
just don't think about it if you can. tough to do, but doable

sygote

Likes Dirt
tilting

a friend of mine has the same problem, it is because he is thinking of pulling out of the set/jump, before he goes off the lip, concentrate on doing the next one not pulling out, if thats the problem.

andy73

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've had the same problem too. What I found quite a good thing to do, was to use the lean that seems to happen naturally. For me, it became almost predictable so I just go with it and now make it a tweak that kinda adds style. Also, set your forks up a bit harder than usual so you don't get kicked off the lip too much.
Oh yeah, and start small and build up to big stuff (I'm still working on that myself).

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
if it is in a set, concentrate on the next jump, as your body will subconsciously(sp?) move as needed. just keep your eyes a few metres ahead of you.
if it is a single larger jump, and your having problems commiting, try hitting it full-fisted to stop yourself from emergency breaking.
as for teh looseness issues, just try keeping your elbows and knees a little bent.
hope this helps,
andrew.

mf_shifty

Likes Bikes
just take ur time jumping, dont stress, pre load with ur knees and pull up heaps, mabye go to a bmx track, heaps of jumps differant styles, you may even choose to just watch.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Maybe it's because you post threads in the wrong forums?

Moving it now.....

Roly

Likes Bikes and Dirt
johnny said:
Maybe it's because you post threads in the wrong forums?

Moving it now.....
my bad johnny

wont happen again

thanx for all the input - it has been taken into consideration and will be put to the test ASAP :)

SPOON

Likes Dirt
Since your confidence has decreased you should probably start on smaller stuff first. Once you've aced that you'll feel more confident. So just step up a little bit and jump things a bit bigger. This may take a while but time "heals".

Also --- as someone suggested.. dont think about stacking. Think about winning and being successful. Clearing and landing the jump successfully is the win. :)

Quintin

Eats Squid
i had the same problem and i thought it was me. up here a local guy has built a nice mtb park and has a 6 pack in the middle of it that goes 18foot, 26 foot, 40 foot and they are wide, big, clear and perfect.

i wasnt able to do the 30 footer at coffs smoothly but when i hit this set i nailed it first go. 40 foot felt like nothing.

i think its got a lot to do with the surroundings of the run in and the evenness of what you see on the kicker and landing and your confidence. like i found that skinny kickers and me dont get along because i dont feel balanced. after a while blasting the big easy sets, you will be able to do those big sketchy skinny sets that everyone else seems to be able to do.

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
think about how much the chicks will dig you when you pull it!!!
im having the same problem with a simple-ish 8 foot drop. turns out my advice doesnt work for them lol.

hardtail_rider

Likes Dirt
avablast said:
Dont concentrate to much on the jump lossen up a bit by telling uself u can do it its all confidence after a while u can pretty much control any situtation in the air reflexes help alot but alot is subconcous thinking where say u conciously tell uself u gonna make it get the confidence sumthing happens then ur subconcious thoughts tell u to correct or bail rather then concously thinking ur fucked and freezing up if u concentrate to much on a jump u have to much concious thoughts goin thru ur head and arent gonna be loose enough to correct or bail in certain situations ie: loop out or angle landings.
have you ever heard of a full-stop? hahaha.

technoboy

Dirty Imports
try not to pull up to much,
pump the downy and push forward (not to much just do it gradually) let the jump do the work for you!

In most cases people pull up instead of pushing forward so basically when your pulling up your throwing your weight out.

Try to pull up half as much and start pushing forwards you will find your bike will level out giving you more control and Rhythm.

Dale.

technoboy

Dirty Imports
Burrito_Boy said:
BMX tracks are the Shiz Wiz for building confidence, cause they got pretty much everything all there.
the only thing that sucks about BMX tracks is you have to pedal your CU*T OUT!!!! :(

Weddas

Should we laugh or cry?
Kunal said:
I have the exact same problem. Im just going to try to get my style good on little jumps and then eventually work up to bigger jumps
me three im working on the small ones and moveing up. but i dont stiffen up... i dont have the confidence .

shauno

Likes Bikes and Dirt
One problem might be that the jump is too steep for you?
Start off on a mellow lip, and just dont think about ANYTHING while riding into the jump, not about landing it, not about not fucking up, just not anything!
Practise on the same, mellow lipped, small gapped jump for ages, then step it up. I'd say to start on a table top, then when you want you can find a jump with a mellow lip, small gap, but a double. Jumping takes time to learn and it takes alot of crashes. Sooner or later you'll be jumpin.