Help with my first MTB

ste27

Likes Bikes
Hi,
I am pretty new in Sydney and I am looking forward to buy my first mountain bike here.
Budget is preferably under 600$.
I have seen:

Merida Big 7 40 at 519 ( my 2014)
Merida Big 9 20 at 569 ( from what i know, lower specced components but hydraulic discs)
Focus Whistler 27R 4.0 at 679 ( a bit over my budget so still considering it)
Cell M29 that shuold be priced at 450-500.
Polygon Xtrada 5.0 at 599 $

Any suggestion?
Even if someone has to sell his bike that's good to know ( for a used one i'd prefer to stay under 500$), but it has to be in Sydney.

Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad English :)

stirk

Burner
I'm just going to say Polygon typically spec better value parts on their bikes for the price you pay.

Second hand obviously gets more bang for buck.

camoshop

Banned
Diamond back do a sweet 29er now cheap too :heh:

I had a diamond back bmx they were good in the early 90s don't see why they wouldn't be now :tape2:

DJR

Likes Dirt
2nd hand will be your best bet, but if not then the cell or polygon bikes are quite good value. Look in the trading area here, there is plenty of bikes for sale to get you started.

Good luck!

will2

Likes Dirt

I had a diamond back bmx they were good in the early 90s don't see why they wouldn't be now :tape2:
I road some rando's Mission 27.5 as I have a soft for them. I was really impressed on build quality and ability of the thing.

ste27

Likes Bikes

Thaks for all the answers.
What about this diamond back? any idea of where to find it in Sydney?
And are you referring to a particular model?
thanks again!

2nd hand will be your best bet, but if not then the cell or polygon bikes are quite good value. Look in the trading area here, there is plenty of bikes for sale to get you started.

Good luck!
Thanks, do you have any idea of which is the best place to look for a used bike?

Last edited:

Luco

Likes Dirt
Gumtree.com.au is probably the best for second hand stuff. But you gotta be careful you don't buy a damaged bike, or a bike that requires you to spend more money on top of the original purchase. Hence, I would buy new and recommend anything from Cell or Polygon due to their good value, like already suggested.

ste27

Likes Bikes
Gumtree.com.au is probably the best for second hand stuff. But you gotta be careful you don't buy a damaged bike, or a bike that requires you to spend more money on top of the original purchase. Hence, I would buy new and recommend anything from Cell or Polygon due to their good value, like already suggested.
mmmh. I am not an expert but on gumtree I haven't found anything good yet. I hope to find something better in the next days. :)

ste27

Likes Bikes
I have found a good specialized rockhopper but size is XL and I am 180 cm. from what I read on the web should be ok, anyone can suggest me if it can be the right size for me?
Of course I will test the bike to see if I "feel it right"

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
No, XL is too big for you, check manufacturers size charts for any particular bike, most bikes you'll be a medium and some an L

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have found a good specialized rockhopper but size is XL and I am 180 cm. from what I read on the web should be ok, anyone can suggest me if it can be the right size for me?
Of course I will test the bike to see if I "feel it right"
Mate at 180 you would be much closer to medium or large. I'm 183cm and I can go with either a medium or large depending on the brand. I would think an xl will be way to big for you.

Just a pharmboy said hours ago :facepalm:

ste27

Likes Bikes
Don't think I will buy the hasa ...

I know I am bothering you all :)
but today I found a shop with a new
Merida Big 7 300 at 750$ (2014 model)
and the Merida big 7 40 at 500$ (2014 model)
the first is a bit over my budget but reading the specs look so good and seems priced quite well. the other is the same mentioned above but probably for me is a good choice.
hard to decide :)

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
yes, even according to what I am reading elsewhere the Merida 300 is not that good.
I've also found this cube
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/surry-hi ... 1070806370
What do you think? I am a bit concerned about the price and the 26' wheels
It's about $800 bike brand new - not too bad, shithouse front forks though. If you are going to take the risk of second hand, then IMO you at least need air adjustable front forks.

While it's true you get better value second hand, you also either need to know what you are doing or be buying from a very trustworthy source - personally if I were you I'd be buying new

John Muldoon

Likes Bikes
My first bike was a Merida. I've since learnt you pay more for less with them. I'd recommend a Giant. You should be able to get a suitable Talon in the right price range.

Agree with this. A newbie buying 2nd hand (without help) will end in tears 9 times out of 10.
+1

As a noob that did buy second hand I consider my purchase to be the 1/10 however having said that I have still had to replace a couple o things here and there.

Buy new and ride the fucker into the ground.