Help with old Shogun

bodgie

Likes Dirt
Hi, despite being reasonably knowledgeable on most things mountain bike related i have little to no clue when it comes to road bikes. However recently i've claimed my dad's old road bike he never uses anymore mainly for commuting to uni and the occasional fitness ride. The bike is an old shogun, I'm guessing from the 80's. The only real identifying features are the words tangaloy on the frame and forks. The rear dropouts are 120mm with a 5 speed cassette. After going for a quick ride today i couldnt beleive how much of an improvement it is to ride on the road than my Norco Sasquatch. However i am considering doing it up a little bit. Maybe upgrade the drivetrain to a few more gears. From what i've managed to find thanks to google i think it's a steel frame so i will be able to spread the dropouts although i thought i remember dad saying it was aluminium so i'm not certain. Just curious if anyone had any insightful knowledge about old Shoguns or similar bikes that could help me. The frame is also brazed not welded if that helps, were there aluminium brazed frames or only steel. Finally when spreading dropouts can you go from 120 all the way to 130 or would you only really want to go as far as 126 and approximately how much would my lbs charge to do this?

H

>Henry

Pfft gears...make it a fixed gear, much more fun and you get like +10 street cred. :p

RCOH

Eats Squid
Tangaloy is probably another name for Tange Mangaloy tubing, a manganese alloy steel, considered to be below 4130 chrome moly in the heiracy of steels but above 'ordinary' high tensile.

Mangaloy is Tange's brand name for their manganese-molybdenum (MnMo)tubesets. These tubesets have tensile strength that is between hi-tensile steels and chromium-molybdenum (CrMo). Consequenty, their weight is also in between the two. However, the real advantage of MnMo tubesets is that they retain a higher percentage of their strength after brazing. As a result, control of the brazing temperature is not as critical as with CrMo and it is more suitable to semi-automated, mass production. Introduction of Mangaloy and similar tubesets was instrumental in lowering the cost of bicycles with butted framesets in the early 1980s.

Probably not worth spending a bunch of money respacing dropouts & upgrading drivetrain. If it were mine I would either get the current drive train working nice (if possible, depending on wear etc) or convert to single speed.

Last edited:

bodgie

Likes Dirt
Won't be going singlespeed or fixie, not fit enough for that and a bit too hilly around here for that. Spose i'll just keep it as 5 speed then. Drivetrain still is in good condition and all works fine so i guess that will do. Few little changed like new stem and seat should do for now.

Ozchuck

Likes Dirt
HEHE, yeah, I was suprised at the difference between my MTB, and my recently inherited roady.
Its nice, huh?

I found the best thing was getting everything it DID have working 100% smooth before messing with the other stuff.