help with removing stem please.

wazza2282

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,

I have this stem, i want to take it off and remove the headset to tighten and clean. But the bolt on the top as pictured, when i turn it with the spanner, it does nothing apart from spin, it doesnt rise? am i just stuipid or is there something wrong here? it seems like the simplest task, but when the only bolt i can find to take it of, doesnt work, im stuffed.

Thanks for help in advance.

flyracing

Likes Dirt
If the bolt is just spinning round and not coming out means that the starnut in your forks is screwed.
Take it to your lbs or try hitting the star nut from the bottom of the forks up but it might not move so take it to your lbs.

J

JaRedy

I dont wanna take you as an idiot, but have you undone the stem clamp bolts?
I'm just saying this because you said you only found one bolt...and what your explaining is what will happen if you dont undo the stem clamp bolts.

wazza2282

Likes Dirt
yes i did remove them, lol. still no luck. Bashed it a few times, and the bashed it down which seemed to tighten it :) so im just going to leave it for now. Cheers for the help guys.

Svenn

Likes Dirt
take your wheel off, get a broomstick and smash your starnut out through the top of the forks so the bolt just falls out. step two is purchase new starnut :)

jontya

Likes Dirt
yo,

yer its been established that the star has worn out. make sure replace it because your bars might just come off half way down a hill. What you should get (and i have no idea why downhill bike company's are still pissing around with the star nut set up) is get a thing called a lock nut bolt. Its a long bolt that goes from the top cap all the way to the bottom of the fork tube where a plug sits. they wont break and they can clamp down 100x better then any star nut.

peace

42#KRISPY#42

Likes Dirt
yo,

yer its been established that the star has worn out. make sure replace it because your bars might just come off half way down a hill. What you should get (and i have no idea why downhill bike company's are still pissing around with the star nut set up) is get a thing called a lock nut bolt. Its a long bolt that goes from the top cap all the way to the bottom of the fork tube where a plug sits. they wont break and they can clamp down 100x better then any star nut.

peace
I believe what your talking about mate is a "head lock" not a lock nut bolt :rolleyes:

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
your bars might just come off half way down a hill. ... they wont break and they can clamp down 100x better then any star nut
Which is all well and good... but you're completely wrong.
:eek::rolleyes:
Top cap does nothing more than preload headset bearings. If you overtighten it, you crush your bearings.
Stem bolts clamp on to steerer tube, this is what keeps the front end together.
In fact, you can preload your bearings - tighten stem - then remove the topcap and ride without a problem... as once the stem is tightened the topcap's job is done.
Headlocks and other systems do nothing more than give idiots a reason to overtighten things which in the end results in more headsets being sold. Pretty clever eh ;)

42#KRISPY#42

Likes Dirt
Which is all well and good... but you're completely wrong.
:eek::rolleyes:
Top cap does nothing more than preload headset bearings. If you overtighten it, you crush your bearings.
Stem bolts clamp on to steerer tube, this is what keeps the front end together.
In fact, you can preload your bearings - tighten stem - then remove the topcap and ride without a problem... as once the stem is tightened the topcap's job is done.
Headlocks and other systems do nothing more than give idiots a reason to overtighten things which in the end results in more headsets being sold. Pretty clever eh ;)
So true. Some of the things i've seen happen from these "little idiots" big bright ideas makes me crack up. Can't count how many broken axles. Headsets are classic though.

wazza2282

Likes Dirt
I believe what your talking about mate is a "head lock" not a lock nut bolt :rolleyes:
Hey thnks peoples.

Where do i purchase one off these Head Lock things? are they LBS?

Also i bought this bike and it was stuffed, i didnt over tighten it. the headset was loose, so when i went to remove it to see why, thats as far as i got.

Ill go get the broom stick. :)

42#KRISPY#42

Likes Dirt
Hey thnks peoples.

Where do i purchase one off these Head Lock things? are they LBS?

Also i bought this bike and it was stuffed, i didnt over tighten it. the headset was loose, so when i went to remove it to see why, thats as far as i got.

Ill go get the broom stick. :)
Yeah just get one from your LBS, But just don't overtighten it! It just should just be firm and enough to stop the steerer tube having any play in the headset. What you using the broomstick for? Punching the starnut out or bashing the bike? :p

wazza2282

Likes Dirt
Cheers Krispy ill ring LBS now.

Oh and ill smack the crap out of the bike untill it does something, its great for any anger issues but sucks when the broom breaks :(

Lorday

Eats Squid
Cheers Krispy ill ring LBS now.

Oh and ill smack the crap out of the bike untill it does something, its great for any anger issues but sucks when the broom breaks :(
LBS work best when your at them.
Rookie mistake if you using a cheap metal handled broom. Old school hardword handles are the way to go, unless you have a nice rake.